Morning Links: Crichton uses football to put family first

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:05 am with 47 Comments »
February 24, 2014 10:05 am

Good morning.

Yesterday at the combine, Tacoma native Scott Crichton pushed some reality into the proceedings. Crichton is projected by Rob Rang to go in the second round after an excellent career as a defensive end at Oregon State. Unlike most underclassmen, Crichton didn’t bother to get a draft evaluation. He was leaving school early no matter what. Why? He was tired of seeing his parents battle to make ends meet.

“I’ve taken this responsibility to take care of them,” Crichton said at the NFL combine. “My mom works two jobs, and my dad is disabled and still works a job, too. They are getting old, and I want them to retire and just stop working. I just did this for my family.”

Here’s more from Crichton in today’s paper.

> In regard to Red Bryant, he’s among what seems an obvious group of Seahawks who are likely to be cut and/or restructured. We heard reports of Sidney Rice being cut, then he tweeted a goodbye to Seattle fans. Now, Bryant. Zach Miller is a strong possibility as is Chris Clemons. If Clemons goes, the Seahawks may be able to keep Miller as is. Free agency officially begins March 11.

Links:

> The owner of the Cleveland Browns confirmed they went after Jim Harbaugh.

> Jason La Canfora of CBS says Harbaugh’s relationship with 49ers brass is getting worse.

> 710 says media scrutiny may be another hurdle for Michael Sam.

> A San Diego State running back says he left the combine because God told him if he did, that he would be drafted by the Seahawks.

> Matt Hasselbeck’s daughters ended up behind the microphones at the combine Sunday.

> Peter King with an extended look at Johnny Manziel.

> USA Today with five takeaways from the NFL combine.

> Steelers safety Ryan Clark says it will be difficult for referees to police use of the N-word.

> ESPN’s Outside the Lines put together a show about the use of the N-word as it relates to sports. One particularly interesting portion was how older athletes, like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, viewed it and how the high school kids ESPN talked to viewed it. There’s a disconnect, to say the least.

1. Carlsonkid says:

Lets see ; a local kid who wants to take care of his parents who work multiple jobs , talented DE with good character .. Hmm , I wonder if there is a local team somewhere in need of a defensive end after Clem is released ?

Good luck to him , it’s easy to root for a guy like that ..

2. HawkfaninMT says:

If told the three big moves this offseason were;
    Lose Rice, Keep Tate
    Lose Red, keep Bennett
    Extend ET

Would you consider it a success?

3. aelliott11 says:

Lose Rice, Keep Tate
    Lose Red, keep Bennett
    Extend ET

GREAT SUCCESS!

4. CDHawkFan says:

I still can’t get over the Harbaugh news. That could rip up that team. Imagine that happening to the Hawks after last year?

5. Southendzone says:

You know what didn’t help the reportedly strained relationship between Harbaugh and Baalke?

I’m sure glad the FO of the Seahawks are not having these kind of issues.
    I still think Dallas could have won five or more Super Bowls in the Jimmy Johnson era if it wasn’t for the meddling of Jerry Jones.

Cool pic Southendzone.

8. HawkFromDay1 says:

Really would like to see Zach Miller stick around. His blocking was at times an essential element to the game plan.

What about Breno? Aside from Golden, I think Breno is the toughest decision. Are Bailey and Bowie ready to start?

9. I think from a financial perspective letting Breno go is a no-brainer. We have two young guys that gained a ton of experience last year, and it is a deep OL draft. Save the $ for Bennett, maybe Tate, and the forthcoming extensions.

10. surelyyoujest says:

This is worth going back to. All the same messages have been there from the beginning……

11. banosser says:

db Harbaw… the whiners fans say he’s the greatest and that Carroll is despicable and a cheat… smh

12. When I was younger, I used to think kids should stay in college and graduate like Tim Duncan. However, I now think they should get their money when they can. You can always go back to college to finish your degree with all the leftover money you have from signing your professional contract when your playing days are over. Now, this is from the perspective that you are smart enough to know better. It’s too bad that most athletes turn pro, blow all their money, and don’t even have an education to fall back on.

13. doubledink says:

Bobby,
    It reminds me of when Oprah was in college and ABC (I think) made her an offer. She asked a prof if she should stay in school and finish her degree or take the offer. He said “An offer like this is why you came to school. Take the offer!” The rest is history.

I agree BobbyK.
    I often wonder how many College football players don’t get a chance to make a pro football paycheck because they were injured helping the College programs make billions of dollars.
    And yet the College players can’t get anything without them and the College they play for getting in trouble.

Big reason I don’t watch much College football anymore. These players deserve much better imo.

15. jawpeace says:

Turmoil in Whiner land. I LOVE IT! I think my hate for the 49ers has finally passed what it was for the Raiders. And I really hated the Raiders. Lets see the Hawks moved to the NFC in 2001. It was not until 2013 that I felt my first hint of pity for the Raiders; who have been terrible for over a decade. So it took twelve years to move out of hate towards pity.

Could Moses help take our O-line to the promise land again this season?

17. jawpeace says:

Todd,
    I wanted to send some ideas to the NFL committee which is meeting in March. So I sent them to goodellr@nfl.com
    Is there a better place to send rule changes than Roger G?

18. doubledink says:

I told Sando in Harbaugh’s first year that his antics will be tolerated only as long as he is winning. The fact that he has won all 3 years while there (I consider minimum NFCCG as winning) and things are still strained testifies to how much of a jerk he must really be!

19. Georgia–Man, any lineman who is compared to Carpenter makes me uneasy, if not flat out sick to my stomach! He’s almost the same size Carp was coming out, but we all know Carp gained 30 lbs or more before his rookie year and got even bigger the next couple years…Im betting FatCarp is 350 lbs if he’s an ounce. And Moses is taller…

On some of those GIF’s, despite making the play Moses showed poor technique and slow feet. Pardon me, but Im tired of watching linemen with slow feet at RT.

And whats with Field Gulls saying Bailey didnt pass pro much? Pass Pro is Bailey’s forte, he’s better at it than Bowie, and we all know Bowie is the Baddest man on the planet!

As long as they dont let Cable pick the linemen they draft or bring in. If Cable likes a guy, they need to stay far, far away from him. They need to let the scouts and JS pick the linemen. Just hand them over to Cable and tell him to coach them up. He surely has struck out enough times in talent eval to ensure I will never trust him again.

20. I love Bowie as a guard, I don’t as a tackle. He’s simply not quick enough in space for even RT. I was sure as heck impressed with his ability to move inside and play guard though.

Lol STTBM.

I still have a slim hope for Carp.
    He is after all two years younger than our next potential first round bust.

22. Bobbyk–Exactly! Bowie IMO has a great shot to be the LG Carp was SUPPOSED to be. But he wasnt even better than Breno at RT, just cheaper, so Im hoping either we see Bowie at LG and Bailey at RT, or we draft a RT who might be able to play LT someday (Okung is too expensive), and Bailey takes over at RG and moves Sweezy where he belongs–on the bench.

I dont want to see another lumbering oaf on this team, period. What pisses me off so bad about Cable and his line is that he wants big lumbering oafs–yet our run blocking isnt crap. If we had any other back running the ball besides Lynch, they would really stand out as the bag o crap they are.

So not only are they not in the top 5 in run blocking (Yards is a poor way to judge a line, you have to take into account ypc, and advanced metrics like Profootballfocus uses, to judge whether and to what extent they achieved their goal on any given play, like giving the RB one yard at least per carry before contact, etc), but they are among the worst in pass pro.

To me, thats a poor trade off. If your only slightly above avg in run blocking, and terrible in pass pro, it avgs out badly. Id rather have some athletic guys who can pass pro, ones who also have bad attitudes and WANT to run block. They can learn.

But Im not the line coach. All I can do is wonder what the conversations between Carrol, JS, and Cable sound like…

23. That was probably a pic of Michael Bowie at 16. He’s so badass, he came out of the womb shaving…

Southendzone- So posing with perceived 16 year old girls at a party makes him a rapist?

Sounds like you and Bobbyk are being a Dick on this one. Perhaps racist too?

25. Southendzone says:

C’mon Georgia, I’m just making a joke here. For all I know they were older than they looked. For all know the party type atmosphere I thought I was seeing was a church fund raiser for homeless people.

It’s just when I saw it I thought to myself “As an adult, that is a situation I’m keeping well clear of”

Leave no doubt 24/7!

26. doubledink says:

Georgia,
    I think it is safe to consume they were joking. :)

Southendzone- I see your ignorance on this so I don’t think you were thinking it all the way through.

However this kind of profiling is far more worse than someone saying the N-word or how someone perceives a Gay player in the NFL imo.

Georgia has a long history of destroying young Black mans lives when it comes to statutory rape laws.

29. Talk about taking things out of context. There have been a million Michael Bowie “jokes” on this blog since the Cardinals game, right? It’s pretty clear that I love Michael Bowie as our future LG. Now we are going to take one as an example and blow it up into something it wasn’t intended to do? Wow.

30. RW will be on your fave Conservative channel tomorrow.
    Fox n Friends..

31. Have there been any jokes about Michael turning into Ziggy Stardust yet?

32. montanamike2 says:

New Day: I’m so glad Sherman tipped that ball to Crabtree in the endzone, not only did it lead to us winning the Superbowl, it also kept SF from winning one and the blowback against Harbaugh is huge.
    The wheels are coming off in SF but would be the total opposite if SF got by us and won the Superbowl. Jim would be the bay area hero not goat. I love waking up and realizing every morning that we are SB champs! This year is probably make or break for SF and then they probably get passed by the Rams or ‘Cards. I feel the most confident in our team then I ever had, it’s a good morning.

There’s one Wilson interview I’ll be missing. And it’s not their politics I object to, it’s their intelligence, or lack thereof, I take issue with.

34. Georgia mellow out Holmes.I understand where yer coming from though. They were just joking around.
    Like this:”Michael Bowie’s tears cure cancer. It’s too bad he never cries”

35. And Duke I couldn’t agree more. Fox News (or any cable news) is so ridiculous but what I find most disturbing is the amount of close friends and family of mine that think what they see on those channels is absolute truth whether it be conservative or liberal. And these are some well educated people for what it’s worth. They refuse to believe that most of it is entertainment in order to gain ratings and ad money.

36. Duke–you must miss a lot of football interviews if you only watch those done with interviewers who have “intelligence.”

37. chuck_easton says:

Duke,

Sure, the East Coast guys don’t even know if there is indoor plumbing in the PNW yet. Of course the only thing they ‘think’ they know about the Seahawks is inaccurate at best.

I will venture to say whomever is handling that interview for faux news couldn’t find Seattle on a map if you gave them five attempts and supplied the clue it’s in the NORTH WEST of the Country. The response from an east coast guy would be Illinois?

But hey, SB XXVII CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

They can’t take that away from the team or us fans EVER. :) :) Will that ever get old? I hope not.

38. SandpointHawk says:

You miss even more interviews when you only watch the players with some intelligence…

39. chuck_easton says:

Um, SandpointHawk? You lost me there. Did you attempt to use NFL Players and the word intelligence in the same sentence?

The list of players from the NFL that would actually be included in any list of the ‘brightest minds in the Country’ would likely be so limited the rest of the players would be able to count them with the aid of their fingers and toes. That is if they don’t lose their attention span and focus after they get to 4 or 5 at best.

40. SandpointHawk says:

Yep, we will always have Super Bowl XXVII (February 1, 1993. Dallas 52, Buffalo 17) Wait Chuck, why XXVII again, you lost me there…. :)

41. RW was also on the Dan Patrick show today and will be on Seth Myers’ new show tonight..

42. SandpointHawk says:

43. chuck_easton says:

Sandpoint,

Ooops, I forgot to change the second X to an L. And this is why the Latin language and Roman numerals are both dying arts! :)

XLVIII XLVIII XLVIII XLVIII there, it’s committed to memory now.

PHXHawk – Lol. And yes, I do.

45. The higher the cap goes, the better it will be as far as keeping the core of this team together….

UM also means other teams have more money to spend on the guys we want as well!!