1. Note to Quinn – Cleveland is a messed up deal – if you don’t win NOW – it may ruin your chances in the future. They will fire you in a heart beat

2. I’d want assurances they get a QB before going into that joke of an organization.

3. Cleveland will (I expect) take a QB in round 1.

I think that the Seahawks program loses more if Bevell and/or Cable go than if Quinn leaves. The defense is Carrol’s he will find someone to run it for him.

4. Good luck with that assurance. Hell it took us 37 years to draft our “franchise” guy. Cleveland and Seattle both have claim at different times as the most depressing sports town but that ends in 2014.

The draw would be having the #4 pick and the Colts eventual first rounder as building blocks. Worked for the Hawks current regime to kick start our roster rebuild.

5. sluggo42 says:

Irvin might put on some weight in the next few years too like Clem did, that will help him hold the point when playing at Leo. Or he might stay slim and be a great lb. I have no issues with the guy, and he is mikes from Aaron curry status

I do NOT want to lose Quinn. I wouldn’t be bothered a bit to lose Cable or Bevell…

Hoppy New Years to all who regularly look like a genius, fool, clown, a-hole, know it all, numbskull, idiot,brainiac, wizard, clairvoyant, 95% of the time

6. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Yeah, Cleveland’s ownership has zero patience. The AFC North is a tough division. It’s going to take more than a season, or two, no matter who the head coach is, for the Browns to become competitive within it. Quinn will likely get fired too after his first season when the Browns finish last, or second to last, in their division. Quinn should stay with the Seahawks, help them earn another Superbowl, or two, to build up his resume, then go to a team that has a quarterback and patient ownership.

7. I like Bruce Irvin and think he’s a pretty good player. There have been plenty of times where he’s come on a blitz and he’s chasing the QB and the QB gets rid of it (throws it away usually). None of that stuff shows up as a tackle or anything but it’s still making an impact in ways you cannot see. And if Irvin is our 4th best LB, I don’t see where that is a derogatory statement because our other three guys are simply really good. A month ago Maxwell was our 4th best CB but that didn’t mean he sucked (it would have if we were on our 4th best offensive tackle though due to depth type of concerns). James Carpenter is a first round bust, Bruce Irvin is not.

8. Speaking of Maxwell, there is a guy who should be extended pronto before his stock rises out of Seattle’s price range. He’s now entrenched as our #2 starter at least until the next injury re-shuffles the deck.

9. And by pronto I mean asap. I know they can’t do it yet.

10. Just so we are all clear – I’m not saying Bruce Irvin is a bust. Others may be saying that he is a bust – I’m not.

I’m ONLY saying that he is our 4th best LB (behind Wagner, Wright and Smith) and our 3rd best pass rush DE (behind Clemons and Avril).

Unfinished business. NFC Championship preview-

Irvin is not a bust! Yet.

There will be no stopping us this season-

14. 1st round draft picks by this regime (in order they were drafted from first draft through Harvin pick last April)

1. Russell Okung – Good pick. He’s not Walt, but Walt expectations are unrealistic for almost every LT in the history of the NFL.

2. Earl Thomas – Great pick. The best safety in the NFL. Enough said.

3. James Carpenter – Sucks. Bust.

4. Bruce Irvin – Had 8 sacks as a pass rushing specialist. Did what was asked of him in rookie campaign. Moved to OLB this past year and has played well (after missing first month). Good player. There may be others we could have drafted before him, but there’s plenty after him too that I’d rather have Irvin over, too. All in all, I like the Irvin pick and consider it a success.

5. Percy Harvin – The jury is still out. One of the most electrifying players in the NFL (and best). Needs to be healthy to justify not only the huge contract, but the picks that were forfeited to acquire him as well.

15. SaigonSun says:

I don’t want to lose Quinn

16. Before we definitively call Carpenter a bust I think we should give him an opportunity to return kickoffs. If that doesn’t work out then yes I agree. It’s not a good sign when Paul McQuistan beats you out of a job.

17. I don’t want to lose any of them! Consistency is what Pete preaches regularly. Unfortunately, I believe we’ll definitely lose 2 and if Detroit goes blue (collar, tough guy), then Cable is the man.

My replacement wish list (if it does happen) would be:

Scott Linehan, OC – NW ties, been OC for pretty good offenses in Detroit, Miami and Minnesota.

Someone within DC – Kris Richard and Rocky Seto get mentioned a lot in PC’s pressers as does Norton. All 3 have USC ties. Someone mentioned Ray Horton in an earlier entry which I thought was intriguing but I thought Cleveland decided to keep him or something along those lines.

I don’t have a clue for OL – We’ve had a lot of great ones come through here (Howard Mudd, Alex Gibbs, Mike Solari, etc.), but I really think Cable is the right guy. Look…Solari is a great coach, but how many studs does SF have on that line compared to our guys. I don’t believe we have anything that is close to Iupati on our roster. I think it’s a new breed of OL coaches coming up and am sure Pete will bring a few real good ones in IF Cable goes, but with Lynch’s success at running, the team’s success at running and the team’s success with winning, he will be retained if they can keep him. I personally don’t like him as a HC, but I thought Lane Kiffin was a joke too and he kept getting gig after gig.

Anyway, I appreciate you all…this blog is the best! We’re in a dream season and I hope it goes right into and through February. Enjoy the ride, enjoy the year…live happy, healthy and cheer with your favorite beer…here, here…here’s to you, Happy New Year’s!

and

GO HAWKS!

18. RDPoulsbo says:

I don’t get the draw with Quinn. 2 years coordinator experience and he’s still in his 1st year as one in the NFL where Carroll really runs the defense. He’d be way over his head taking a HC job right now.

19. I hope we keep Quinn.

Looks like Percy had a good workout on Monday:

20. SaigonSun says:

Quinn for a King of Seahawks D

21. montanamike2 says:

Good post BobbyK.

22. banosser says:

Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase is postponing all head-coaching interviews until team’s postseason is over..

Wish our guys would do the same

23. By the way, I didn’t mean to infer that Cable was a joke, just Kiffin.

24. ’14 Draft Order & New HCs:
    1. HOU* new HC: Bill O’Brien. Immediate success expected from O’Brien and McNair’s made that clear. Assuming Schaub’s done, no franchise QB, though it’s presumed Bridgewater will be there at pick 1. What happens if he’s not ready to carry this team to a respectable record? No guarantee QB position will be solved right away.
    2. STL safe.
    (pick from DC* new HC: Nightmare season. Gave that high pick away(?!!!) Defense was a disaster with injuries, and might not get better. Orakpo could be gone and the secondary is full of young, unproven guys like David Amerson. Dan Snyder is the most volatile owner in the league and a nightmare for a coach. Bruce Allen’s taking over the personnel decisions now, which means there won’t be much power available for the new coach. Candidates: Art Briles, Jay Gruden, Jon Gruden, Adam Gase, Lovie Smith, Mike Zimmer, Greg Roman, Ken Whisenhunt.)
    3. JAX – said they still like their HC…
    4. CLE* new HC: Instability. Brandon Weeden, Jason Campbell and Brian Hoyer, at least the next HC will get a shot at playing with a QB he had some part in choosing. Chudzinski fired after one year. How do you sell that to a candidate who’s even interested in coming in? Cleveland fired the last four AFCN HCs. Candidates: Josh McDaniels, Ray Horton, Norv Turner, Jim Schwartz, Dan Quinn. Quinn would be wise to avoid this place.
    5. OAK Dennis Allen might still be gone(?)
    6. ATL safe.
    7. TB* new HC: Glazers ax anyone that doesn’t perform. Mike Glennon? Flashed at times but changing QBs could be difficult for the new coach. NFCS is a tough division — especially if the Falcons get good again in ’14. GM Mark Dominik was canned too. Candidates: A lot depends on the new GM, but Lovie Smith is a hot name.
    8. MIN* new HC: QB position’s bad. Ponder’s a 1st-rd bust, they burned $3M on Freeman, and Cassel’s no answer. They have to use a high pick on a QB but can’t panic like in ’11. Elevated to GM recently, Rick Spielman is safe but he’s been with the Vikings for a while. Tough division to play in: Packers, Bears, and Lions. MIN’s stadium situation is bad, with the Metrodome shut down and the Vikes playing in an outside college stadium for the next 2 yrs, ’till the new one is built. Candidates: Adam Gase, Jack Del Rio, Jay Gruden. Bruce Feldman hears the Vikes want a “college guy”. If they want to draft Jonny Manziell they might want Kevin Sumlin (head coach, Texas A&M) for HC.
    9. BUF safe.
    10. DET* new HC: Tough division to win in, considering Aaron Rodgers and the Packers reside there. Not to be a jerk, but Detroit isn’t the No. 1 option to live in in America … The Lions have a bit of a stars and scrubs roster, thanks to many of their top players being high draft picks from the old CBA, when high draft picks were all paid like star quarterbacks. There’s really not much to hate about this job. Candidates: Mike Zimmer, Jay Gruden, Adam Gase.
    11. TEN Mike Munchak might still be gone(?)
    12. NYG safe.
    13. STL safe.
    14. CHI safe.
    15. PIT safe.
    16. BAL# safe.
    17. DAL# Jason Garrett should be safe.
    18. NYJ Rex Ryan should be safe.
    19. MIA Joe Philbin might still be gone(?)
    20. ARI safe.
    # pick order subject to coin flip

25. SeahawkFan12 says:

I’m happy for Quinn and Bevell, and I’d like to keep Quinn. But I’d REALLY like to keep the focus throughout the playoffs. That’s the biggest concern I have with all these interviews. FOCUS. PREPARE. EXECUTE. WIN.

“The separation is in the preparation.” ~Russell Wilson