Sherman: ‘I don’t want to be an island’

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Nov. 14, 2013 at 5:58 pm with 17 Comments »
November 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Richard Sherman. He’s funny.

(On the free safety advice from Earl Thomas…) “Yes, yes that was awesome. It’s awesome to see him getting his personality out there and people getting to see more of him. He’s such a great guy and such a great teammate, and he’s a lot funnier. People think he’s just quiet and doesn’t say anything, he says a couple of things. He’s a pretty clever and funny guy so it was great to see that.”

(On if it reminded him of his time on Bourbon Street…) “It did, it did a little bit. I think he was better than me, and then he got the lady at the end, who told him some free advice, don’t talk to strangers.”

(On if getting the win before the bye week would be extra gratifying…) “We go 1-0 every week. Were a team that searches for one win a week, nah I’m just messing with you I was trying to give you my Russell Wilson impression. Yeah it’ll be great. It’ll be great to get that win. We’re facing one of the best backs in the league obviously so it’s not going to be an easy win by any means, but it’ll be great to get that win and to get a win heading into the bye week, it’ll feel good. You rest better coming off of a win.”

(On preparing for the rotating quarterbacks…) “We’re preparing for the scheme. I don’t think the changing of quarterbacks changes the scheme and the plays they run. They both can execute the offense effectively so we just prepare for the routes and the concepts they run, and we prepare for Adrian Peterson because they both can turn around and hand it to him. I think we’ll be preparing for him just the same.”

(On if he pays more attention to Adrian Peterson when watching film…) “Not really. I mean everybody has to get him down; we have to get him down. It’s just like Steven Jackson, Frank Gore, and all the rest of the good backs. You have to get him down; you have to have a good plan together as a defense. If our safeties have a fit in the run game then they have to be aware of him and have to be aware of their fits. So they’re involved in the run game a lot more than the corners are so we get to see them talk about their fits.”

(On the comparison between Marshawn Lynch and Adrian Peterson…) “I think they’re totally runners. I think Marshawn is more wide legged. I think they’re both powerful runners, they both run very violently, they run hard, they take on contact, they initiate contact, and they usually shed off of contact. I think Adrian Peterson runs to go, I think Marshawn runs to run through people. He runs to find people to run through.”

(On liking to not have balls being thrown to him throughout games…) “No I don’t want to be an island, I don’t like that. I want to be more of a tourist attraction, I want to be the guy where you stop here, I take your money and you go. Everybody has a good day, I don’t want to be an island.”

(On the player rotation method…) “It’s the next man up kind of deal with our team. I think that’s why everybody is so confident in the guy that is coming in. Whether it’s Alvin Bailey, whether it’s Michael Bowie, Walter Thurmond, Byron Maxwell because everybody is prepared. You see what everybody does in practice, you see how well they’re prepared, and if you made this 53 man roster you can play in this league and you can play at a high level. I think that’s the confidence that we have in every individual.”

(On his hip injury…) “You know I saw that Peyton Manning got a day off and I was like man, where’s my day off so I was like let’s come up with something so I can rest too. Nah I’m just joking, I’m good, I’ll be out there today, I just needed some rest.”

(On what defensive backs do to prepare for Hail Mary game tying situations…) “Yes everybody practices it at least once a week I’m sure 100 percent because of plays like that. Now because of plays like that they’ll super emphasize it when we practice it. They’ll be like awe man did you see that play, that’s why we do this. But you’re usually supposed to box out the receivers. Every man for man, you box him out, and then somebody is supposed to knock the ball down to the ground, but a lot of times guys think oh man this was a free pick opportunity and everybody goes up and tries to pick while the receivers are trying to catch it and usually something bad happens. So they tell us to knock the ball down, but it’s a lot easier said than done when it’s thrown up in the air. I’ll knock it down if it came to that situation.”

(On if he remembers the game plan last year to prepare against Percy Harvin…) “Yes I do and it was very intricate to say the least. If he’s here we do this, if he’s here we do this, so we’re glad we don’t have to deal with him anymore. He’s on our team now.”
(On if they placed an emphasis on Percy Harvin because of his versatility…) “I think we put more emphasis on him because he did so much for them. When he’s in the game they can do anything with him. They can put him in the wildcat and give him the ball right away, they can fly sweep with him, they could throw a screen to him, they can hand the ball to him, so there were so many different facets of their offense that were run through him. So we have to be ready for every one of those things. Without him they use Cordarrelle Patterson in a similar way and he’s dynamic, but he’s not Percy Harvin. We still have to prepare for him, but he doesn’t run the ball, he doesn’t line up at running back and do everything Percy does, but it takes away an element.”

(On if he would rather see the Saints lose or the 49ers lose…) “That’s a good question. Could they both lose? I wish they both could lose. To tell you the truth I think it’s a win/win for us either way. We have to win out, we have to do what we have to do the rest of the season to make our dreams come true anyway. In that situation I think whichever team wins is good for us. One of them has to lose. So if we handle our business throughout the rest of the season, we’ll be in a good spot.”

(On Adrian Peterson…) “He’s an awesome player. He’s an outstanding player and obviously his resume speaks for itself. He’s run for a million yards or whatever he’s run for nowadays, but you prepare for him the same way. I’m sure he has the same respect for our defensive players and we have some guys with some grit about them too. There’s definitely a mutual respect there and that’s why you prepare for him the way you do.”

(On having respect for him on the field…) “It’s always the same. It kind of eliminates when you get on the field because everybody is even. If you have a guy who you don’t know and you don’t respect, when he gets on the field everybody is even. He can go off just like anybody else. So when you start to respect any guy higher than another guy that’s when you start to get beat by guys who are some consider ‘no name’ guys and it’s a surprise to some people, but he’s a pro too.”

(On if he has ever talked to Percy Harvin about their collision on the sideline last year…) “We talked about it a couple of times. He said that’s just how he plays and I was like that’s just how I play. It was a competitive moment. It was one of those moments where we’re both competitors, he wanted to win and he thought he was going to run through, and I wanted to win, I wanted to get him down. I thought it was a great competitive moment for us. I’m glad he’s on our team.”

(On Stanford vs. USC…) “With the respect to my head coach I think it’s a great butting rivalry that we’ve won the past four or five times. I think that it used to be very lopsided favored by USC. Since it’s changed I nerd nation is taking over and not a lot of people approve of that, the nerds taking over the world, but nerds rule kids

“We go 1-0 every week. Were a team that searches for one win a week, nah I’m just messing with you I was trying to give you my Russell Wilson impression.”

Lol. Sherman is funny for sure.

2. Great to have a role model by the book guy like Wilson and then a funny guy like Sherman to even it out. Kind of reminds me when our QB was a funny jokster and I liked it but our biggest superstar (Walt) never said anything. lol

Bobby – I’m not sure that Sherman isn’t a great role model (I believe he is). Those two come from different worlds, yet they share many of the qualities we all admire: work ethic, respect for peers, a burning desire to succeed, leadership, etc… Perhaps you were eluding to their similarities, and in re-reading your post, I believe you were. (I just feel the necessity to defend Sherman because he’s so misunderstood, on a broad level.)

Wilson, Thomas, Sherman, et al … these are the type of “character guys” that Ruskell could never deliver. That is, ridiculous talent and quality people are not mutually exclusive.

The Seahawks are in a position, as a franchise, they have never been before. And that is a fact. For the old time fans like myself (I attended their first playoff game ever, in ’83, as a young boy with my father) this is a humbling experience. For the newer fans that have only understood this anticipation and excitement, without the desperation; enjoy every moment, because this is a very special time, indeed. 2013 is becoming a legendary season for the Seahawks, and Seattle, and the Northwest. Tonight, I’m giving in to the very real idea that this team can deliver a Lombardi Trophy. Tomorrow, I’ll return to the willful ignorance that something *isn’t* truly special is happening here. But for tonight I surrender: Seattle is home to the best team in the NFL and it feels amazing.

4. Duke – yep. I love Sherman. He’s smart and funny.

5. I plan to see you in Seattle for the NFC Championship game. You can’t use the excuse that a lady made you late this time. Lol

6. Old School posters right there. How refreshing.

Sherman makes headlines with his mouth and that’s what gets non-Seahawk fans’ attention. Dig deeper and you find an incredible human being, role model and teammate. I love the guy more with each passing day and he’s really become my favorite Hawk and that’s saying something because I love a lot of them. My childhood infatuation with the Hawks started in 83 and this year’s team is a different entity then we have ever seen in this city. That Lombardi Trophy is coming home.

7. MercilessNdnocorners says:

“Merciless” Percy Harvin and Seattle’s “No Corners” receiving corp are Seattle’s next big “Features” the league will be whimpering about and cowering to get away from. With “The Legion of Boom” and “Beast Mode” at full strength, hide your women and children. This team is going to make grown men cry.

Percy Harvin is capable of running around or away from contact and when contact comes he like the rest of this offense is able to shed tackles and pick up extra yards. Because Tate, Baldwin and Kearse use body control to shield coverage from the ball, attack the ball at the high point and have been slipping away from defenders for extra yards it’s as if they play against “No Corners”. Everyone knows Beast Mode is one of the best for yards after contact and this year is no different.

Darrell Bevell’s YAC/YAC offense is going to make teams pay because whether it’s a receiver or running back who has the ball, none of them are an automatic tackle. The Seattle offensive skill position players are nothing short of amazing for their ability to create yards after the catch as well as yards after contact. Defenders have started to play off for fear that a missed tackle will mean giving up a TD. Add that to the speed at which these players bring to the field and defenses will only be able to try to keep up. Seattle will dictate the game to their opponents. For teams that blitz to pressure Wilson his quick release to any of five different receivers on any given play will make opposing DCs pay. And as if that weren’t enough, DangeRuss, Beast Mode and Merciless can slow down that pass rush strategy out of the backfield too.

Pete Carroll and John Schneider have created the next architype NFL blueprint, “How to Draft, Coach, Scheme and Pay to Win”. They continue to develop NFL starters out of late round draft choices and undrafted free agents. As our need to keep key players gets closer expect to see some familiar names no longer on the team in the next two years.

As of last year it appeared as though some of the other teams in the NFC West had kept pace with the Seattle NFL juggernaut. Now 2/3rds the way through the season, not so much.

8. Wilson is a great QB for the hawks, but really, I would much rather listen to Sherman answer questions than RW. Wilson is just too unctuous. I always feel like I am only getting a highly varnished, media prepared answer rather than what he really thinks.

At least Sherm, when asked about facing Roddy White and if he was worried, joked back “worried about what?”.

9. princeaden says:

This is a scary time for the Seahawk fan from way back. I feel like I’m always looking over my shoulder or waiting for the other shoe to drop in a sense. Waiting for the crippling string of bad luck, arrests, suspension or I don’t know what. Maybe it is time to surrender to the deliciousness that is Seattle Seahawk football and embrace the fact that this team will be in major Superbowl contention for as long as Carroll and or Schnieder are at the helm. Well done Paul Allen.

10. SandpointHawk says:

I remember in 2005, I kept expecting to loose the next game, I just knew the dream was going to come to an end. Finally Superbowl week I let myself believe we were destined to finally win.

So forgive me if I try to stay neutral as long as I can and just enjoy one victory at a time.

11. montanamike2 says:

SandpointHawk this is the best team we’ve ever assembled, i know the waves of riding the high and then the heartbreak comes. We are healthy and have playmakers everywhere including our QB. If we lock up home field for the playoffs i think we go all the way.

12. SandpointHawk says:

I agree, it is the best Seahawks team ever, however I will stay with one game at a time. Not going to assume anything because in the NFL anything can happen…

13. yankinta says:

lol, “Tourist Attraction?? Where I take your money and you go??” lmbo… :)

14. mindnbrad says:

Agreed. “I will stay with one game at a time. Not going to assume anything because in the NFL anything can happen…”

SandpointHawk – You’re right, 100%. And I’m usually like that as well. But it’s amazing how some good red wine can bring your guard down. lol.

16. seaturkeys says:

I feel like Wilson balances out the team image with Tate, Sherman, Browner, Breno, etc. kind of playing bad boys.