Morning links: If a team wins on Monday night and nobody is there to see it, does it count?

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on Oct. 28, 2013 at 6:00 am with 28 Comments »
October 28, 2013 12:26 am

Good morning.

The focus in St. Louis is not on football. With the World Series tied 2-2, the whole town is concerned about Game 5 and not Monday Night Football taking place about a mile north of Busch Stadium.

I wrote about those odd circumstances around this game for today’s paper.

It’s fair to expect a feast for the Seahawks tonight. No crowd to deal with, the Rams playing turnover-prone Kellen Clemens at quarterback, the Seahawks playing well on the road prior.

We’ll talk predictions later today.

Links:

> Jon Gruden and Mike Tirico are on the call Monday night and preview the game:

> The Everett Herald writes about the Seahawks having four quality linebackers for three spots.

> Four matchups to watch from Seahawks.com.

> The Associated Press says the Seahawks are looking to up their franchise-best start.

> A Seahawks-Rams breakdown from ESPN.

> Three things for the Rams to watch for from ESPN.

> A game preview from The Sporting News.

> The St. Louis Post-Dispatch says the odds are against the Rams when facing the Seahawks.

> San Francisco clobbered Jacksonville in London, 42-10.

> Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha was again a healthy scratch for the 49ers and this could be it for him in San Francisco.

> Arizona hosted Atlanta and lit up the Falcons.

> The Packers cruised past the Vikings in the Sunday night game.

1. montanamike2 says:

All is good except the niners won. Will we have as many fans there as they do?

2. montanamike2 says:

I also feel good after watching the Buc’s and Falcons get destroyed.

3. HawkfaninMT says:

Curiosity strikes me with Nnamdi…

If he were to get cut, I would like(not love) the Hawks to bring him on board. I realize he is not the player he once was. But he is a heady veteran that has a great deal of knowledge on the Niners and their offensive transition they are making this year. If he were cut, the contract he got from the Niners would pay him for the year. So anything the Hawks were to give him would be icing.

A little assistance Chuck: What do the rules say about signing a current Free Agent to be an assistant DB coach? Does the player have to officially file his retirement papers to be a coach?

Just something that struck me is all

4. You do not want Nnamdi here in any capacity.

5. montanamike2 says:

Welcome back Bobby Wagner.

6. HawkFromDay1 says:

The Rams have no QB (and probably no fans in the stadium)
    The Bucs have no coach
    The Falcons have no roster (what is it now, 6 starters on IR?)
    The Vikings are having QB decisions made by the GM

I hate hate looking forward, but sheesh – just for the sake of wanting to see a good game of well-played football, we’re outta luck.

Really eager to see the 49ers v Panthers game – that could be very fun stuff.

Asomugha was done before the Eagles dumped him. And quite frankly, there’s very little if any information a released played can give his new team that isn’t already on film.

8. FleaFlicker says:

Regardless of how “easy” this game will be tonight…we need to go into the half-time locker room with a large lead. With a few lucky bounces and a “we’ve got nothing to lose anyway” attitude for the Rams, we could find ourselves in a much closer game than we want. Even the terrible RG3 team managed to keep it competitive for 35 minutes at Denver yesterday. Just scares me when we’re already counting a victory before kick off. This is the NFL. Two of ATL’s three losses last year came to struggling teams (Panthers and Bucs). Expect the Rams defense to be swarming, stunting, blitzing, and otherwise making life as hard as possible for RW.

9. Yup I’m counting a victory for this game already and will be interested in how many points the Seahawks Defense will score for my fantasy team tonight.

10. I agree with you fleaflicker. I hate getting over confident for any game, regardless of the opponent. Done it too many times, been dissapointed too many times. I want to see them focused and come out playing like this is the best team in the league.

11. montanamike2 says:

You’re absolutely right FleaFlicker, we can’t even give them an ounce of hope, i hope this one is done by halftime.

12. yankinta says:

HawkFromDay1,, Yeah,, I really hope the 49ers v Panthers game will be on TV for those of us in the Seattle Area….That’d be a must see for us.

13. Southendzone says:

I’m not counting a victory by any means. Road game, tough defense, nothing to lose crazy game calling by Fisher, could be a dogfight.

Now I’m not too worried about the STL offense, but I can see their D getting like 8 sacks and 2 strip fumble, one returned for a TD. That’s not hard to imagine at all.

14. Ya if the rams have anything going for them it’s their D-line. With our o-line being pretty inept most of the time, that is what worries me. They may be a little sluggish on offense to start, RW may get hit a lot and run alot. But our D should dominate. Should be fun to watch. I hope a lot of Hawk fans make the trip and have a good showing. I’m sure there are some midwest hawk fans that will make the short trip.

15. Autenpus says:

I’m thinking T-Jack has a huge second half.

Agree jboard1 about their D- line.
    Wilson needs to take care of the ball better. He was sacked 6 times last year by the Rams at the clink in a game where many here ,(including myself) thought we would win easily.

17. yakimahawk says:

Rams D will be fired up…though I look for the Hawks to win 24-10!

Wilson leads all NFL QBs in pressures per drop back at something like 46.6%.

Some other interesting tidbits here-

19. I’m such a huge believer of this Defense this year it’s ridiculous.

And that’s quite a turnaround for anyone that remembers my opinions on the Defense last year – especially the ability to blow a 4th quarter road lead to any QB. I pointed the penchant for the Seahawks to do that before the 2012 season started.

20. MoSeahawk12 says:

From Sporting News-While the Seahawks are 14-2 in the series since 2005, they have lost on two of their last three trips to St. Louis, including a 19-13 defeat last year.
    Those two out of three losses stand out as they have occurred during the Carroll years. The Rams seem to play some of their best games against us and the 9ers. With a aggressive, risk taking coach that will pull out trick plays anywhere on the field, a relentless D, and a team with nothing to lose, this game has a chance to stay close longer than we’d like. I think this game will show exactly who our Seahawks are and who they are going to be the rest of the season.

Take care of business cleanly as they should and go home 7-1 or struggle with an inferior opponent and maybe the game is in question late, causing down the road concerns.

I think they will play Seahawks ball and show the national audience they can handle any team in front of them. Stay on these guys and break their will early. The best thing that can happen is that we see Russell Wilson, Marshawn and a few D starters resting in the fourth quarter. Michaels can run at that point and T-Jack can pad Kearse’s stats a bit.

21. I don’t care about spectacular tonight – I want slow methodical, error free football!! If we do that we should in the long run pretty much bury them.

oh and zero injuries please.

22. Would be great to see our sack production continue where it left off in the Arizona game. Also looking to see what Mike Rob brings to the offence.

I am really looking forward to tonight’s game – it seems like forever since the last Seahawk game. Go hawks!

23. on one sad note – With Arizona winning – the streak of losing the week after you play the hawks is now over. Maybe those extra few days made a difference for them. 7 games in a row isn’t bad (if you count ATL from the play-offs)

24. Tampa Bay just lost WR Mike Williams to a hamstring injury. As bad as they are right now, it’s a little more tipped in Seattle’s favor now, on paper anyway.

25. dirtbiker_joey says:

I posted this a few days ago:

You know, it’s funny. Thinking about our linebackers, I remember back to the 2009 season. After the 2008 season we were going to have the best LB Corps in the NFL. Conventional wisdom said that Lofa wold return to form after his worst season as a pro, Julian Peterson was going to be a sack machine again, Leroy Hill was finally going to come into his own after an injury-plagued fourth year. When we traded Peterson, it put a damper on things for a few months. Then we drafted the linebacker whose name shall not be spoken, whom everybody (except ACIB and Yankinta) knew was going to be a first ballot Hall of Famer. Expectations were sky-high for that group. After the 4-12 disaster of 2008, the LB Corps was the unit the team was going to build around.

And we all know what happened.

Now we have a bunch of guys who, while solid players, were never extremely highly regarded. LB was supposed to be the weak link of the (admittedly very strong) defense. Our secondary is the best in the NFL. The D-Line improved through new player acquisitions and return to health. The LBs? Expected to be an average bunch. Yet what is happening? The move of Bruce Irvin and the emergence of Malcolm Smith gives the coaching staff some difficult decisions to make now that Bobby Wagner is back from injury. Irvin, Smith, Wagner, and Wright may not be the most talented or individually elite Linebackers in the league, but they certainly get the job done, and I would never trade them for that highly touted 2009 group. Much lower expectations, but much higher performance. While I’m not sure I would call them elite, I certainly think they are one of the better squads in the league.

26. jawpeace says:

Gruden’s face at the end of the clip is funny. He looks like he is trying not to smile and just looks constipated.

I can’t wait till tonight. I wonder if there will be more Hawk fans than Rams fans there. My guess smaller in number louder in voice.

pabuwal – It sound as though you’ve come around to the idea it was the scheme and not the players that were responsible for some of last season’s issues you’ve mentioned.