Morning links: Hawks, 49ers ready to rumble

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:00 am with 65 Comments »
September 11, 2013 8:00 am
Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, left, shakes hands with San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh after an NFL football game in San Francisco, Sunday, Sept. 11, 2011. The 49ers won 33-17. (AP Photo/Paul Sakuma)

In my story today, both Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh tried to downplay the significance of this Sunday’s nationally televised contest between NFC West division rivals Seattle and San Francisco.

“There’s good football teams that we’re playing right out of the blocks here,” Harbaugh told San Francisco-area reporters this week. “Seattle’s an outstanding football team and will be a great test for our team. We know the challenge that’s ahead of us.”

The Seahawks have won nine of their past 10 home openers dating back to the 2003 season. Seattle’s only loss came against this week’s opponent, the 49ers, in a 33-30 overtime loss in 2008.

Seattle holds a 37-26 record in prime-time games. And the Seahawks are 17-11 in Sunday night contests. In Seattle’s last appearance on Sunday Night Football, they defeated the 49ers, 42-13, on Dec. 23 of last year.

We’re pretty placid in here,” joked Seahawks coach Pete Carroll when asked if his players were as excited as the fans for Sunday’s game at CenturyLink Field. “(We’re) kind of flatlining around here. It’s a good thing. We’ll need that.”

The Seahawks renewed their ties with Joint Base-Lewis Mchord with a ceremony transferring the 12th Man Flag from soldiers who have returned from Afghanistan to air crews who fly cargo planes globally.

Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick made an unusual bet during this Madden commercial, wagering that the loser of Sunday’s game will shave an eyebrow off.

However, Wilson told Dave Mahler of KJR-AM that the bet wasn’t serious about the bet. Wilson: “It was more of just a friendly, joking around type deal,” Wilson said. “It’s not real serious. We’ll probably do something digitally. Something like that.”

Jerry Brewer of The Seattle Times writes that the Seahawks have the most to gain in Sunday’s matchup.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com says that defensive tackle Tony McDaniel drew praise from Carroll for his physical play against Carolina last week.

More Farnsworth: He takes a closer look at Sunday’s contest against San Francisco.

Terry Blount of ESPN examines Russell Wilson play against Carolina, and spins it forward to how he will do against San Francisco.

Danny O’Neil of 710 ESPN Seattle uses his Pete Carroll translator to decipher what the Seattle head coach actually meant to say during his press conference after the Carolina game.

Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee writes that San Francisco third string quarterback B.J. Daniels will play the role of Russell Wilson in practice this week.

Aaron Wilson writing for the National Football Post reports the Seahawks auditioned nine players on Tuesday, including Daniel Fells, former Bears tight end Kellen Davis and UW product Isaiah Stanback.

Pat Kirwan of CBS Sports keeps Seattle at No. 3 in his weekly power rankings.

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports moves the Seahawks up three spots to No. 3 in his power rankings.

Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk provides a full list of all 64 players who tried out for an NFL team on Tuesday.

Morning links
  1. In one way, I think the Seahawks have the most to lose from this matchup. Losing a game at home against their division rival would be a huge blow to winning the division. With 4 more 1 PM ET games, every home game is a must win.

2. yankinta says:

Well, if the 49ers lose this, then their home game against us will be a must win for them as well. So I don’t really see it your way,, they both have a lot to lose if they want to win the division and get home field in the playoff.

3. FairbanksDoug says:

I played the video of Kaepernick and Wilson making that bet, and then I told her that if Wilson did lose I would in support of him shave my own eyebrow. I was only joking but she took me seriously for a little while, some time after I absorbed the blow across my head she said she was going to remove my razors.

4. So San Francisco has third string quarterback B.J. Daniels playing the role of Russell Wilson in leading their scout team this week.

Yeah, but we have Tjack playing the role of Colin Kaepernick. I hear he’s down at the salon now getting his fanny waxed and tattooed.

This isn’t a game against the Rams or Cards, the 49ers are a very solid team. And while losing at home is always deflating, and winning on the road is always a boost, let’s not get a week 2 game twisted; it’s not a “must” win. This will be, IMO, a wonderful bench mark to measure themselves early in the season. If they do lose, the game in SF would most certainly have “must win” on it, should the season break that way. But really, there are no must wins in September.

6. FairbanksDoug says:

For my wife

7. tealskin says:

Duke, But it sure comes close to a must-win. Or at least they better show up and go toe-to-toe.

8. Singularitarian says:

Isn’t BJ Daniels the best thing since sliced cheese? At least that’s what I thought Yankinta was saying pre draft. Also he said Harbaugh couldn’t recognize talent. Something’s gotta give

9. abqhwkfn says:

I predict 17-13 Hawks. Marshawn gets a TD along with Doug Baldwin.

10. Southendzone says:

More of a must win for SEA than for SF. 2 reasons:

1) If you want to BE the man, you have to BEAT the man. Right now, SF is the man. If you want to step up and grab this division it’s a total statement game.

2) If you can’t win this, SF is in the easy seat, waiting for their cushy home game later in the year, fully expecting to be favored and to win it.

So far all these Hawks #1 power rankings and offseason hype don’t mean a thing. If we win Sunday, they mean a lot.

11. yankinta says:

Singularitarian,, lol, yes, I was high on BJ Daniels (As a SEVENTH Round Pick) and yes, 49ers FO is only living off of its previous regime’s success. Don’t get me wrong, I was sad to see 49ers pulled the trigger during 7th round, cuz I thought maybe we’d still get to pick him with our 241st and 242nd picks,,, which made me smh…. But that was before we were able to get T-Jack as our backup, which I like a lot better than BJ and I wouldn’t want to keep 3 QB’s on our Roster.

12. Every game is a must win when it factors into home field advantage for the playoffs.

13. I agree that this is a “must” win. This is a statement game. Yes it is September and week 2, but ALL divisional games are important and this is no different. In the long run this COULD be a game that ruins home field advantage if they lose…so in that regard, it is a must win. I can’t freaking wait for this game. I am getting my Hawks Den in prime form and am so excited to hear the roar of the 12′s. Hear is to hoping we come out and show the world why there is so much hype around this team!

It’ not a must win imo, but for a game played in September it’s about as important as it gets. Especially with the two 10:am road games coming up soon in Houston and Indy.

15. seahawk44 says:

I am surprised that Seattle doesn’t have a 3rd QB on the practice squad for the purpose of role playing and possibly grooming for trade value later on.

yankinta- You were high on BJ Daniels or Jack Daniels? Or both?

17. yankinta says:

Nah, I drink beer but I don’t do the hard liquor…. :)

18. MikeFromNewJersey says:

Hey guys,

I’m leaving sunday for vacation in Las Vegas. Does anybody know of any good places to watch the Seahawk game? I’m all fired up and would love to be able watch the game with some other hawk fans.

19. ChrisHolmes says:

We’ve seen what home field means in the playoffs. They have to win these games.

And the great young QB debate continues-

BTW- Despite throwing for only 125 yards against the Seahawks, Newton showed a kind of maturity that I hadn’t seen in him much before. He managed the game well enough to give his team a chance to win at the end of the game.
    Imagine if Wilson played in that body.

21. banosser says:

^LV I’ve just recently read here that Scooters is the place for Hawk fans to watch the in Vegas… Go back and scan thru some of the recent threads.. it’ll be there

22. banosser says:

*the game

23. banosser says:

Regarding the game this weekend… it’s close to a must win game as there is.. the Hawks must go 8-0 at home to have a shot at home field thru the playoffs… if SF doesn’t win that close early contest last yr at their place.. they don’t win the division..

24. It’s a must-win game.

To get to the Super Bowl, the Seahawks will need home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

To get home field, they will have to go 13-3 at worst.

With games coming up on the road against very good teams – Houston, Indianapolis (even though they only win because they’re lucky), St. Louis, Atlanta, SF, and the Giants (don’t expect them to turn the ball over six times every week), a winning record on the road is a tall order.

Every home game is a must win.

25. dirtbiker_joey says:

ChrisHolmes, banosser and OrrObb are dead on. It’s a must win game. Except OrrObb failed to point out that Atlanta only wins because they are lucky too. I know someone pointed to a stat that proves that in an earlier thread.

26. MikefromNewJersey – yeah last nite I posted info about Scooters Sports Bar on 215 and Rainbow Ave. It’s home of the LV Seahawkers (about 10 minutes from the Strip) and I went last week for the first time since moving to LV. About 200 Hawk fans – place was packed. They even go outside and raise the 12th man flag in the parking lot b4 the game. Get there early. They even give out door prizes at halftime for anyone wearing Seahawk gear. You’ll enjoy it!

27. yankinta says:

GeorgiaHawk, totally agree,, with Cam Newton maturing as a QB and Panthers having the BEST Front 7,, it firms my belief that Panthers will make the Playoff this year…. It does not look good for ATL at all (after having played 4th easiest schedule in 2012),, ok, that last part was meant for dirtbiker_joey,, :)

28. off subject but anyone know of any Downtown Seattle Bars showing the fight This Saturday? I live in yakima going to Game and Tailgating Sunday, just looking for something to do Saturday

29. seahawkNJ says:

Thanks for the info LV. I was going to head to Seattle next season (bday) for my first game at the Clink. Wife is trying to convince me to hit LV instead. You may have just tipped the scale in her favor.

30. Doubledink1 says:

I think the Hawks & Niners will split this year but I think both teams will lose at home.
    Right now the Niners have the better OL & DL. This game will be won in the trenches.

With Clem, Bennett & Irvin out & Avril only a maybe, Kaep could have all day back there.
    Man, I hope I’m wrong.

STTBM, I agree with you in not drinking the koolaid but the pass to Kearse was barely under thrown, if any. Certainly not like Quinn’s TD to Williams.

Go Hawks!

31. dirtbiker_joey says:

LOL, I gottcha, yank! I agree ATL had an easier schedule last year and faces a tougher one this year. I agree that it will be tough for them to make the playoffs with the resurgence of NO. But in the end NO has a tough schedule too and ATL is a very good team. I think ATL will win the NFC South again.

32. chuck_easton says:

LVHawk,

So, I’m thinking we schedule an upcoming Las Vegas weekend meeting of the ‘Friends of Eric’ for all of us that no longer live in the beautiful PNW?

I know a direct round trip flight from Calgary to LV is less expensive than trying to get home game tickets, hotel reservations in Seattle, and flights to/from Calgary-Seattle.

If we make it one of the late November or December games all of us that will be snow bound by then would welcome the sunshine and warmth!

Any takers?

33. chuck_easton says:

One other questin LV. Any restrictions on minors?

My 16 year old would likely love to come down with me, but I wouldn’t want to leave him wandering around the strip for several hours while I watch the game.

34. Hey Chuck -
    Just let me know and I will help in any way I can. I will be in Maui (getting married) for Dec 2 Monday nite game vs New Orleans but other than that should be here. For anyone on Facebook check out LV Seahawkers for photos and updates. Not sure how other cities work, but I just connected with the Houston Seahawkers as my daughter just moved there and thought it would be fun to watch the games with them and meet some new people.

Sounds like fun!

35. chuck – let me check on the “minor” question. I think I saw some kids about that age but want to make sure. Will get back with you when I get a response.

36. A friend told me that the Times reported that the Hawks have named Chris Clemons a starter for this weekend..

37. ruminator1 says:

chuck i lived in vegas for a year a long time ago. not sure what might have changed but i doubt your 16 yr old will be allowed in anywhere they serve “spirits.” you might be able to park him at the unlv campus or at a community college. (and of course your hotel room:)

38. yankinta says:

dirtbiker_joey, let’s talk about this again on October 7th, after the first 6 games,,, we’ll see if one of us want to change our position about ATL… :)

On a side note, Jeffri Chadiha and I are on the opposite ends of a spectrum…. has anyone read his article?? made me smile…. too bad we have to wait a couple of years to see who’ll be eating crows…. :)

my QB ranking,,based on what I’ve seen in 2011, 2012 and 2013 1st wk,,

1. RW
    2. CK
    3. RG3
    4. Luck
    5. Cam Newton

39. NYHawkFan says:

Sure hope Carroll isn’t pumping the Hawks up saying, “Don’t worry boys, this isn’t a must win game.”

Does that mean we don’t need to start playing until the second half of the season? Just sayin’

40. tealskin says:

NYHF, Can’t imagine any coach using that approach. Pete is going to have them rip-roaring. He knows how important this game is.

41. NYHawkFan says:

tealskin *A bit of sarcasm there. Just responding to a few posters who are saying that this game isn’t a “must” win.

Think back to last year. How many said at the end of last year when we were playing for home field advantage, “If only we had beaten Arizona.”

42. tealskin says:

NYHF, Please, no reminders about the Az. game, or Miami. Have to eliminate the should-have-wons.

43. MikeFromNewJersey says:

@LVHawk-Thanks for the info, maybe I will check it out.

44. NYHawkFan says:

tealskin, I’m with ya. However, if we had won some of those earlier games last year, we could have played Atlanta at home in the playoffs. Sorry if that opened another old wound!

45. banosser says:

Regarding the TD pass to Kearse.. Rewatched it multiple times last nite.. it was nearly an overthrow.. Kearse had to adjust by turning and catching it at the apex of his jump… the DB never had any shot at it.. it was Kearse or no one.. Kearse never reached back toward the BD for the ball at all (unlike the Quin pass to Williams which was underthrown) it was turn jump reach up catch falling into the endzone.. As the announcers called it.. it was a “perfect throw” cuz only Kearse had a shot at it and he made a good catch as any quality WR would have..

46. JazBadAzz says:

Why would they sign Kellen Davis?!?! Dont make any sense! SMH

47. JazBadAzz says:

*Doesn’t*

48. HeinieHunter says:

The season won’t be over this weekend if the Hawks lose (this is the NFL where anything can happen) but I sure would be a sweet win! Lets see how CK deals with the crowd. National game, huge hype, late start equals more drinking…..it will be CRAZY @ The Clink.

49. yellaman says:

This game is a statement game not a season breaker. The hawks can make a statement of who is the best in the NFC west with a win but If we lose it doesn’t doom the season (only week 2). We could lose sunday ( doubt it) then go on a tear and win the next 4-5 games (2 roads games after Jax). The Hawks can make a statement as to the best team with a win. As far as the game, I hope its a packed house of hawk fans and not 9ner fans in the clink. I’m tired of fair weather fans selling seats to opposing team fans. Lets make the clink the loudest stadium in the NFL. Go Hawks!!!

50. JazBadAzz says:

Im reading he is a great blocker, but the fans hated him for his lack of catching ability and yac ability. I live in the midwest and never heard anything good about this guy. But we obviously dont need him to catch passes. Yay for us! O_o!

51. seaturkeys says:

Let’s just all agree that the game this weekend is simply huge.

52. SandpointHawk says:

RE: Jeffri Chadiha ESPN article “How do young QB’s Become Great.

Channeling Klm, I put a simple point system to Jeffri’s grading scale.

1st= 1 point; 2nd = 2points etc.

Lowest possible score 5…highest possible score 25,…

You could also divide the total points by five but the results would be the same….

Results…

Wilson~ total points 10 = 1st

Luck ~ total points 11 = 2nd

Griffin ~ total points 15 = 3rd (tie)

Kaepernick ~ Total points 15 = 3rd (tie)

Newton ~ Total Points 24 = 5th

So I ask you how did he have Luck over Wilson???

Thanks for the link Yank…

53. tealskin says:

Any bets on who gets dropped from the roster? Person or Lotuleile.

54. Newborough says:

Should be Person that gets cut, after a less than stellar performance Sunday in the 6th OL/TE rolethat I guess Davis was signed to fill. Plus more chance that he clears waivers and can be stashed on the Practice Squad.

Lotulelie lasts until after game 4 when he makes room for Irvin. That said, predicting JS here is likely doomed to fail, as usual

55. “Must-win” vs “Important” games, and “Any Given Sunday”.

Every team wants to win every game. In baseball, near the end of the season, there are games that coaches might circle and declare as “must win” in order to get their teams into the playoffs. They adjust pitching rotations to play their best players, and everything else that they can do to get their team in the best position to win that game, even though it might make their pitching rotation or other things(?) weaker for subsequent games. In football, I don’t think our coaches would say our upcoming hosting of SF is a “must win” game. It’s only the 2nd game of the season. For instance, PC wouldn’t play Browner, Clemmons, or Avril, or whomever else is injured that might give SEA a better chance to win vs SF if there was a possibility that by playing they might be more likely to sustain season-ending injuries because they weren’t quite in game-shape, or their injuries weren’t quite healed yet. It wouldn’t be much advantage to beat SF, then lose to JAX because everybody was IRd.

SF is an important game, but so is every other game. What if we lose this one? Besides having a one-eyebrowed QB (probably for the next several years because eyebrows don’t grow back quick if at all), SEA would still have the possibility of being a wild-card team (again). Also, SF would be seen as what it is, a stacked/well-coached team for the rest of the season, with every team that faces them playing them like it’s the equivalent of their SB appearance. SEA would lose a little of the lime-light (like GB did last week) and would be seen more as a team struggling without some key injured/suspended players, and having troubles running the ball and defending the run. I know it’s better to just win the game, and not let any negative thoughts enter my head, but I’m just a fan here, and not a member of the SEA organization.

After SF, SEA plays the AFCS, with JAX and TEN at home wks 3 & 6, and HOU & IND at their places wks 4 & 5. Although TEN crushed PIT at Heinz, SEA could win those two home games with Clem playing wk 3 and Clem and BI playing wk 6. Those two away games are kinda iffy… BI should be there for the IND game wk 5, but not for HOU wk 4. The bell curve reads like 3-3 for the low and 5-1 for the high by the end of week 6. I’m hoping for SEA being around 4-2 by then. Then, lets see if PH is true to his tweet.

56. sluggo42 says:

Who said Bennett is out?

57. klm…can’t argue with your logic, but I would rather beat SF and lose to JAX if I had to choose, just for the pure joy it would give me to see Harbaugh and the 9′er fans miserable. And it would help us in the NFC West standings, too.

58. NYHawkFan says:

Perhaps “must” win is too strong of a word. After all, it’s just a game. Win or loose, the earth will keep turning. Still want us to win, though! Go Hawks!

59. tealskin says:

NYHF, None of that. This is a sports blog, not a reality show. We get enough of that the other hours.

60. Hey Chuck -

regarding Scooter’s Sports Bar for the Seahawks game there is a restaurant section where minors are welcome. There are TV Screens throughout the facility – you could easily go back and forth throughout the game while your son watches from his table.

61. What kind of trouble is a 16 year old going to get into on the strip or in downtown Vegas? ;-)

62. yankinta says:

SandpointHawk, you are welcome. :)

The only thing I can say is ESPN LOVES and HYPES Andrew Luck and RG3. Maybe it’s East Coast Bias because they prob don’t see many Seahawks games…. We see everygame and we get to watch a ton of East Coast Games too. Therefore we have the advantage, in my opinion.

This dude Jeffri Chadiha is another fool from ESPN. He just said a few months ago that Cam Newton is and will be better than RW. lmbo,, he will eat crow again but no one really cares, right?? :)