Report: Jaye Howard expected to be released

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:47 pm with 36 Comments »
August 31, 2013 1:19 pm

Pro Football Talk is reporting that according to a source, the Seattle Seahawks intend to release defensive tackle Jaye Howard.

If true, it’s somewhat of a surprising move, considering how many defensive linemen are dinged up heading into the first week of the regular season.

A fourth round selection by the Seahawks last year, Howard was a disappointment in his rookie season. However, Howard worked hard during the offseason, and appeared to be having a good training camp.

Also, I’ve been told that the Seahawks have not officially released veteran cornerback Antoine Winfield, although it remains a distinct possibility. So a decision on Winfield still needs to be made.

Eric Edholm of Yahoo Sports reports that fullback Derrick Coleman has made Seattle’s 53-man roster.

ESPN’s Josina Anderson is reporting that defensive tackle Sealver Siliga, acquired by the Seahawks in a trade for John Moffitt, has been released.

Ian Rapoport of NFL.com reports tight end Darren Fells has been informed he will be released.

Quarterback Brady Quinn confirms that he has been released by Seattle.

Cuts and waivers
  1. tchristensen says:

I’d like to see the team trade Winfield back to Minnesota for John Carlson. You can’t have enough experience at tight end, even more important now that Robinson has been released.

2. WHAT?!?!?! That would be really stupid considering how thin they are and, I don’t know about you guys, but I thought he was one of the better players on the interior. I was actually feeling a little releived that with all the injuries in there, including Hill and Mebane, that Howard was still an option.

3. piperfeltcher says:

Anyone know a site I can stream the Huskies game on tonight?

4. snoopy123 says:

we probably aren’t as thin on D line as the fans think we are.

on a separate note, is this a unique thing to the NW how the fan base is attached to every player? ive seen a lot of love for Rob Sims (who was terrible when he was here), Josh Wilson, Hasselbeck, Leonard Weaver, Hawthorne, Forsett, Deon Butler, Moffit, Robinson, and now this Howard dude.

At some point, shouldn’t we give JS and PC the benefit of the doubt?

5. Winfield is a good football player. Howard is not (yet). Quinn knows Howard more than anyone of us – including Mr. Happy and the Duke Boy. If those three agree that Howard goes – that must be the right decision. I just hope Winfield sticks around because him signing with SF would really suck for us. I realize that you need so many at each position but good football players (Winfield) are better to have than not-so-good ones (Howard – if that’s what Quinn/Mr. Happy/Bo feel).

6. Jaye Howard officially cut?

I would have to say this is the only surprise so far.

7. nmseafan says:

Watching Winfield in the Broncos game he really looked like he has lost a step.

8. tchristensen says:

you may be able to stream the Huskies game at http://www.firstrowsporst.eu. It takes a little patience but if you get a good link it’s not bad.

9. Piper, FOXS1 just showed up recently on DISH. Maybe someplace close to you has it.

10. If it’s between Howard and Mayowa I’d keep Mayowa. Sacs trump all else.

11. snoopy123 says:

WT III has outplayed Winfield in pre-season too. had strong camp from all reports.

12. http://msn.foxsports.com/other/page/foxsports1-faq

They say fox bought the speed channel and have “rebranded” it as foxsports1.

13. Hawkjitsu says:

I want to see the cut list damnit. C’mon.

14. freedom_X says:

I’m guessing Seattle is dragging out the cut list because they’re trying to work deals.

I don’t think Seattle would want to take the salary hit for John Carlson (even if such a trade were being contemplated.)

The factor supporting Howard is that he’s a young player who could get better. If he got significantly better from last year to this year, then he could continue to improve. He has good physical attributes. I suppose his progress wasn’t as good as I thought? Admittedly, he didn’t do much last year so it wouldn’t have been a big leap to get better.

15. Agree with BobbyK: AW going to SF was the first thing that came to mind

16. Rob Sims was far from “horrible” when he was here – he had the best performance rating of all SEA’s OLers per PFF.

17. The NFL is reporting the teams cutdown lists (not their PUPs and IRs): http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000233304/article/roster-cuts-for-all-32-nfl-teams They list M.Robinson, A.Winfield, and J.Howard as SEA cuts to 53.

This preseason, AW only played 27 snaps (8 vs SD and 19 vs DEN, fewest plays of all SEA’s DBs), PManning was the only QB who threw to someone covered by AW (PM targeted Wes Welker) who caught it for an 11 yd TD (6 yds YAC) and PM got a 152.1 NFL QB Rating throwing into AW’s coverage. AW got no tackles or assists in either game he played in and got a penalty in his 8 plays vs SD.

18. Yeah, I thought it was a big mistake to get rid of Rob Sims but the new coaches wanted to go a different direction. to more mobile, smaller faster if I remember and then we changed coaches again

19. Oops, now they (NFL.com) include B.Quinn, too.

20. DT Jaye Howard, FB Michael Robinson, QB Brady Quinn, CB Antoine Winfield, TE Darren Fells cut

I’d like to see Fells on the practice squad
    I’d like to wee MikeRob and Winfield back at reduced salaries.

21. Sims was horrible when he first played here unless you didn’t watch the games. However, he became decent.

WTIII is one of the top 20 CBs in the NFL, IMO. Saying that he outperformed someone as a basis for that player getting cut is lunacy.

22. Sims was the best guard we had when he was cut. The game has passed Alex Gibbs by. I’m glad he’s in Denver now and we have Cable.

Watching the cuts coming in and it is sure hard to see players out there as good as the ones we will be cutting.

23. About the time we got rid of Sims he became more decent than what we’ve had at that position ever since.

24. There goes Sealver Siliga.

25. Seahawks22360 says:

The only concern I have with AW being cut is that WTlll hasn’t proved he can stay healthy. However, if he can stay healthy, he will be a monster in our coverage.

26. montanamike2 says:

i hope someone grabs AW before SF can.

27. feed2all.eu/ should have the husky game. easier to navigate the pop ups there than firstrowsports

28. OK, rookie R.Sims’ first game for SEA @ BUF he was the worst, granted – at LG he allowed a sack, three hits and 3 hurries, he couldn’t run-block to save his soul. Then Wahle (sp?) played that next week and until he got hurt vs the Cards week 11 and Pork Chop came in and played out the rest of the season at LG. Sims only got those 72 snaps against BUF and that was it for his rookie season (’08).

In his 2nd season (’09) Rob Sims was not only he best OLer, he was the highest rated player on SEA’s offense. That was the year Solari went from Man-blkg to ZBS. The PC/JS and Gibbs came and out went Sims for a pick.

OK, but I’ve been trying to keep as cool as the Fonz about our OL since then, but I’m on a bit of a hair trigger about it. I haven’t seen stellar OL play since (based on the ’05 OL) but I’ve seen a QB who handles pressure well and an RB who can get yardage almost in spite of the OL. This preseason I haven’t been mightily impressed with our OL, but it’s preseason.

29. I’m not one to doubt PC and JS usually, but the depth on OL does not look good at all, so to trade Moffitt for a DL that doesn’t even make the roster looks like a pretty dumb move to me.

30. klm008, Rob Sims nearly had his arm torn off in his first start @ Buffalo. I was there. He played 3 1/2 quarters with a separated shoulder that day. Sure he gave up some sacks. It likely took a couple years to get all his strength back.

Alex Gibbs cut Sims while keeping Ben Hamilton, Chris Spencer, and Ray Willis. Really set us back.

31. Nobody supported Spencer here than you. And Sims was never cut.

32. you’re right, B. I’d forgotten Sims was traded for that great D lineman Robert Henderson. And I mostly defended Spencer back then because you abused he and Sims so much while they were playing injured for us. I defended Tjack in the same way. I respect guys who play through injuries.

33. Oops – good catch Stevos, I now member Sims arm dangling after that game. And Sims played RG that game and Wahle LG. Wouldda thot that Solari wouldda played Pork Chop @ RG after seeing that Sims was only playing with one arm(?) But Sims wasn’t the only OLer that had a bad game. W.Jones gave up 2 pressures, Wahle gave up 3, Spencer 2 sacks and a pressure, and Willis a QB hit and 5 pressures. SEA got a total of 85 yds rushing that game and the gap with the most attempts and yardage was between Spencer and Sims.

SEA can do well with an OL like we had last season, and maybe they will gel like a well-oiled machine later in the season, but it doesn’t take much to ruin a good OL. An injury here and a player lost there…

Keeping my fingers crossed for this season.

34. 5 minutes … come on already

35. Pork Chop. Now there’s a blast from the past I hadn’t heard in awhile. :-)