Morning links: Maxwell focused on staying healthy

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:30 am with 44 Comments »
August 16, 2013 6:30 am
Seattle Seahawks' Byron Maxwell (41) intercepts a pass intended for Golden Tate at NFL football training camp on Wednesday, July 31, 2013, in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)
Seattle Seahawks’ Byron Maxwell (41) intercepts a pass intended for Golden Tate at NFL football training camp on Wednesday, July 31, 2013, in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

In my story today, when cornerback Byron Maxwell is on the field, he makes plays.
But after health issues limited the third-year pro out of Clemson to nine games each of the past two seasons, Maxwell is focused on staying healthy during training camp.

So far, he’s been successful. After injuring his ankle against San Diego last week, Maxwell missed just one day of practice, and is on track to play in Saturday’s game against Denver.

Maxwell also uses ice tub treatment before practice and massages afterward to avoid nagging injuries that kept him out of practice in previous seasons.

“I’ve just got to stay on top of things,” Maxwell said. “When you’re young, you don’t know your body is your work. So you have to stay on top of your health. You have got to do the little things. Even though you don’t feel like doing those things, you’ve got to do them.”

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports predicts the Seahawks will finish 10-6 this season. Of course, Prisco picked Seattle to finish 7-9 last year. Prisco has the Seahawks losing to the Falcons in the NFC Wild Card game, and the Bengals defeating the Falcons in the Super Bowl, 31-30.

The Seahawks are No. 15 on Forbes annual list of NFL valuations. Paul Allen’s franchise is valued at $1.081 billion.

Danny O’Neil of 710 ESPN Seattle takes a look at bubble guys on the Seahawks’ defense.

Brady Henderson of 710 ESPN Seattle provides a summery of Seahawks linebackers coach Ken Norton’s conversation with Brock Huard and Danny O’Neil.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahwks.com hands out camp honors for this year’s training camp. Richard Sherman is the MVP.

Bob Condotta of The Seattle Times offers his overall thoughts on this year’s training camp.

KJR-AM’s Ian Furness, Jason Puckett and Curtis Crabtree take a stab at picking the final roster for the Seahawks.

Art Thiel of SportspressNW.com writes that WR Jermaine Kearse has found a home on special teams.

Christopher Dempsey of The Denver Post writes that Denver rookie running back Montee Ball is looking forward to facing the Seahawks this weekend.

Holly Anderson of Grantland offers a preview of Jim L. Mora’s UCLA Bruins.

Andrew Brandt writing for MMQB has an interesting read on how personnel departments deal with injury settlements and other personnel issues during training camp to help manage the salary cap. It’s worth a read.

Morning links
  1. bbnate420 says:

“Maxwell, 25, said he has taken preventive measures such as using a foam roller on aching muscles before practice to prevent lactic acids from gathering, which can cause stiffness and longer recovery times.”

Someone, xcman if I remember correctly, mentioned something about this therapy and/or routine helping athletes before.

2. RDPoulsbo says:

Sherman mentioned he does this to stay healthy. Perhaps that’s where Maxwell is learning it from.

3. My wife uses a foam roller for hip pain from working out. Who thinks this stuff up?

4. CDHawkFan says:

Warren Miller (skiing legend) swore by Tums/Rolaids for lactic acid build up in the legs when skiing…hopefully they are not on the PED list.

Falcons vs Bengals? Prisco is either bad with darts, or has taken to the telephone book; ”Navin R. Johnson, sounds like a typical bastard” method…the Bengals?

5. CDHawkFan says:

From ESPN Adam Schefter;

Former Miami Dolphins kicker Dan Carpenter, released Wednesday, already has work waiting for him.

Problem is, he’s waiting on his wife, who is three days overdue with the couple’s first child.

Once his wife gives birth, Carpenter will pick a new team. There are a good half-dozen teams around the league looking for a new kicker, including the Green Bay Packers, the Seattle Seahawks, the New York Jets, the Cleveland Browns and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

What? I know it’s comPete, but haven’t heard anything about the Hawks needing a 3rd Kicker for training camp.

6. dirtbiker_joey says:

Foam Rollers have been used for years by endurance athletes (think marathon runners, Ironman triathletes, etc.). Here’s a brief outtake from an article on the USA Triathlon website written in 2011:

“Getting a regular massage is something a lot of us know we should do, but don’t. Foam rolling is an inexpensive way to provide self massage. It’s not as good as a “hands-on” massage from a licensed massage therapist, but proper utilization of a foam roller to break up adhesions in the muscle tissue and/or fascia can help you recover faster and keep your muscles ready to train. In layman’s terms, breaking up the adhesions in the soft tissue aids in decreasing trigger points from forming and brings blood flow to the area. Increased blood flow will bring nutrients and assist in repairing damaged muscle that your last workout may have caused.”

7. wabubba67 says:

Hoping that Carpenter comes in and signs. Have never been a fan of Hauschka as his FG attempts, even when good, make me nervous for some reason and his kickoffs are typically far short of the end zone.

Carpenter has been dependable (has killed my fantasy team from time to time with big games) and I think that he has a fairly strong leg on kickoffs, though that may be wrong. Regardless, I think he would be an upgrade.

8. yankinta says:

Again, Pete Prisco is Dumb A**. But that’s just my opinion… :)

9. really great foam roller chat today guys.

10. John Moffitt interviewed by Brock Huard and Danny O’Neil, 14 August:

Huard: Playing at the line of scrimmage you know when you have broken someone’s will. You know when physically they ‘don’t want any part of this’. Can that get done at this level? To me, that’s what Tom Cable is, that’s the essence of this offense is. Have there been moments here where you have felt that even at this level?

Moffitt: Yeah, totally. Early last year in the Cowboy’s game I though we broke down their D line. Arizona last year San Fran last year, I didn’t play but I saw them totally quit in that last game toward the end of the year. That is Tom Cable’s system. Defending that, for a defensive line, is just hard for four quarters. You can tell when they’re done. You say “this is great. Let’s just finish them off and go home.”

O’Neil: Have you seen the offensive line gain that edge, that finishing kick

Moffitt: Yes, my first year that didn’t happen very much. Last year it started to happen during the end of the season as the linemen played together more. I think his system does develop that kind of a lineman.

Huard: Tell us about Russell Okung and Max Unger. How is it to play with them?

Moffitt: I think Max is the center of it all. His intelligence and everything. And the way Russell works, he is a perfectionist. Both of them are top offensive linemen.

Huard: This team is close. This team enjoys working. How close are you to going all the way?

Moffitt: There are still little things to work on, but we don’t look at it like that. We just look at is as “Keep going. Everyday. Just compete.”

Stevo – Lol. My thoughts exactly.

I really liked Maxwell coming out of Clemson. He really fits the Carroll profile for a CB, so the fact he’s healthy (and ideally staying that way) is a great thing. He’s so aggressive and physical back there; just really fun to watch play.

Prisco is a classic blowhard. Should be miraculously be right, and the Bengals do make the Super Bowl, it will be nothing but dumb luck.

I think Arizona will be more like the team Seattle played the first time last season. Especially at home.

It’s going to be a knock out drag out NFC west division war this season.

13. grizindabox24 says:

wabubba, I do not see the Hawks and Carp as a match based on $$$. Carp would command at a minimum $300,000 more than the contract Hauschka is on.

14. RDPoulsbo says:

I saw it as Carpenter’s is all but guaranteed a job somewhere. If he’s living in Miami, is he interested in working in the opposite corner of the country right after his first kid is born? Seattle won’t be playing in Florida at any time this year, so it’s hard to see him making that choice on purely personal reasons.

15. Dan Carpenter is from Montana…Looks like Miami is the opposite corner.

16. Yeah, the foam roller chat isn’t the best.

We could talk about what a bust Carpenter is starting to be.

We could put an over / under (week 3?) on the next Thurmond injury.

We could complain about new guys not getting on the field (Avril, McDaniel).

Or just sit back and enjoy the best Seahawk team I have ever witnessed (and I have seen them all).

17. RDPoulsbo says:

That’s what I’m not sure of. Is he living in Montana, or in Miami where he played for 5 years?

18. hawkfan777 says:

Dukeshire said he will run down 1st Ave naked if Pete Prisco is right about his Superbowl prediction.

Way to step up Duke!! We all can use a good laugh.

19. RDPoulsbo says:

At least there’s something Prisco and a lot of us can agree on. The 1st sentence of his current power rankings:

The final CBSSports.com Power Rankings made me feel like the idiot many of you out there think I am when it comes to making predictions.

20. Thanks, E… another great read.

The Cards are going to be a better team, but I think they are still doomed to finish in last place. If they were in some divisions, I think they would finish in the top half of most. How times have changed!

For fantasy purposes, I am high on Fitz this year. IMO, he’s the second best WR in the NFL and yet he’s getting picked after some clowns (although guys like Julio Jones certainly are not clowns). People say Palmer sucks, but look at the “talent” he’s had… Palmer hasn’t had a Fitz and Fitz hasn’t had a Palmer… look for Palmer to put up good numbers and look for Fitz to regain elite statistical status.

hawkfan777 – I will *absolutely* do that if he’s right. If he’s wrong though, I get his job for a year. Deal?

22. SandpointHawk says:

@Dukeshire, I don’t think that’s fair. No one would notice a naked man running down the street in Portland, they would just turn and wait for the rest of the parade…

23. lol. zing, Portland!

24. Spilled my coffee, Sandpoint.

25. RdPoulsbo…It will probably be determined by where his wife/girlfriend is from.

26. grizindabox24 says:

I think people fail to realize that as things stand right now, the Hawks cap for next season will be about $5 million less than this season due to previous cap rollover. If the Hawks stand-pat and rollover the approx $3.6 million in space they have to next year, there cap number will be in the neighborhood of $128 million…the Hawks payroll this season is $133 million.

27. grizindabox24 says:

Duke could just do it in Fremont…doubt anyone would notice.

28. ChrisHolmes says:

I agree with BobbyK. Cards will finish last.

I know ARZ fans are all excited to have Palmer, but his best days are behind him, and Arians’ offense is not going to do him any favors.

The league has already seen what Palmer can do in a vertical offense – throw INT’s. He’s not going to suddenly get better now that he’s in Arizona. Luck is a better QB than Palmer, and he threw a lot of INT’s in that offense. Palmer is going to be tasked with throwing downfield a lot, and he’s going to throw interceptions.

In addition, who does ARZ have to run the ball?

I hope Seattle’s secondary and defensive front four are up to the task, because if they play their best, there are going to be turnovers to be had against Arizona. Palmer is not mobile and will throw into traffic and make bad decisions. Pressure + an aggressive secondary means turnovers. Seattle’s defense should thrive against teams like Arizona.

29. Where does one get a foam roller? Maybe I should start using it to help me tone my ass after sitting on it all day!

30. Don’t forget Cards picked up Rashard Mendenhall this offseason. I’m not saying he’ll ever be an elite runner, but he was no slouch in Pittsburgh before he tore the ACL.

All we gotta do is just finish the game. Our Offense already knows how, Now it’s time for our Defense to do it.

32. Seahawkfan78 says:

I just saw that Zach Miller is off the PUP list!!!!

SandpointHawk – Lol! Good point.

So long as Arizona has Fitz, Peterson and a top 5 D they will be tough to beat.
    At least until they are out of playoff contention.

BTW- Palmer is a good QB when healthy. The best QB to ever come out of USC imo. And USC has had the most QBs drafted into the NFL of any College.
    Of course they most all have pretty much sucked when they played in the NFL. Lol.

35. RDPoulsbo says:

One of my favorite season previews of last year was that the AZ offensive line consisted of 3 inflatable dolls, a Levi Brown hologram, and an overpaid Colledge. 2 of the 5 will be back again to protect him, but even better, the real Levi Brown will be protecting the blind side of Cardinal QBs once again. QBs plural because there will be more than 1 forced to take snaps behind that line, especially with the statuesque Palmer being the first sacrificial lamb.

36. Best QB to come out of USC?!?! Surely you forget Sean Salisbury, who led the Winnipeg Blue Bombers to a Grey Cup championship in 1988!

Remember what happened last pre-season?

38. SandpointHawk says:

Pat Hayden, now give me the best Pro QB’s from Ohio State…This one always stumps my friends from Ohio….

39. Arthur Ernest Schlichter

40. *college

NOT Pro…

41. SandpointHawk says:

Want to bet? Yeah Art I’ll take the points for $100,000…..One of the only real QB’s they ever had. Of course he had a bit of a problem handling his money….

42. Any predictions on who will pop on Saturday?

Thinking that Hill and Williams will be trying to get noticed more!