Thurmond works at cornerback with first unit

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:21 pm with 45 Comments »
August 5, 2013 2:39 pm
Golden Tate catches a pass from Tarvaris Jackson. (Lui Kit Wong/Staff photographer)

In another development that shows his continued health and how well he’s playing during training camp, Walter Thurmond got the majority of reps at cornerback in place of Brandon Browner with the first unit.

Now, I want to emphasize that I don’t think this means that Browner has lost his starting job, although he appeared healthy and had his helmet with him at practice today.

However, I think this is more of an indication of where Thurmond is at in his development through the first ten days of training camp.

“This is the capabilities and abilities that I’ve had the whole time since they drafted me,” Thurmond said. “And now I really have the time to really showcase that I have to play with any injuries and things like that. I’m really just trying to compete every day.”

Max Unger out; Carpenter leaves practice

Seahawks center Max Unger did not practice today with an undisclosed injury, but indicated during an interview with ESPN 710 Seattle that he will be fine.

However, a more troubling development was that offensive guard James Carpenter was seen leaving the field midway through practice limping, and did not return.

Pete Carroll did not talk with reporters today, so I don’t have any updates on Unger or Carpenter’s injury status.

With Unger out, Mike Person initially worked with the first unit at center. But after two bad shotgun snaps, Person was back working at right tackle with the second unit, and Lemuel Jeanpierre took over at center with the first unit.

John Moffitt and J.R. Sweezy continue to split time at right guard with the first unit.

Some tidbits

* Along with Unger and Carpenter, injured players today included receiver Bryan Walters, defensive tackle Jesse Williams, receiver Early Doucet, tight end Darren Fells, defensive end Cliff Avril, receiver Stephen Williams, defensive end Michael Bennett and cornerback Ron Parker.

Running back Robert Turbin apparently passed his physical, but did not practice today. Zach Miller, Chris Clemons, Tharold Simon, Percy Harvin and Greg Scruggs remain on the PUP list. Korey Toomer remains on the non-football injury list.

Tight end Michael Palmer and Michael Robinson returned to practice today.

* Sidney Rice participated in team drills for the first time during training camp today and looked explosive.

* Cornerback Jeremy Lane had a big day. He stripped running back Christine Michael in the open field, scooped up the ball and took it back for a score. Lane also had an interception of a Brady Quinn offering with the receiver appearing to make a wrong cut.

* Tony McDaniel worked with the first unit at defensive tackle today.

* The offense connected on several deep plays today, including Tarvaris Jackson hitting Golden Tate, Phil Bates catching a long pass from Brady Quinn, and Arceto Clark catching a long ball from Quinn.

* The offense wore white jerseys today in preparation for Seattle’s road contest at San Diego on Thursday.

* Carroll also had his game face on, twice arguing calls with officials during practice.

1. Terrible to hear Carp limping off the field. Jesus, I would dearly love to see that guy make it a whole month without an injury…

Great to hear Thurmond is playing so well. Browner has been getting burned in camp, perhaps this is Carrol’s way of waking him up, a sorta bitch-slap. Or perhaps its just a rest-day for BB for his hard work, and a chance to see what Thurmond can do.

Still think Browner will be the starter come Game One. He’s just a beast out there, and no other DB can manhandle WR’s at the line like BB.

2. We know what Browner can do. We would like to know what Thurmond can do, if he’d ever get in a groove and stay healthy.

I think this is what Carroll is doing, just seeing how WT3 can play after his injury.

3. JZombie says:

I think it’s just giving BB some rest and to give Thurmond some more work in other coverage situations, preparations for any contingencies that arise.

Anyone listen to the Golden Tate interview a little while ago? Loved the comments about him being leaner and meaner this year, and his bit about coming in “fat and bald” as a rookie.

4. jboard1 says:

JZombie, where’d you hear that interview? Do you have a link?

5. People have forgotten about Jean-Pierre. He’s a pretty good player, and our only real backup to Unger. I like that kid, and I think he’s pretty much a lock to make the team.

6. Tate aint the sharpest tool in the shed, but he’s pretty funny. Him and Moffit are the geeks on the team, for sure.

7. yankinta says:

This is just for Fun, since it’s unlikely it will happen,, but what if Someone offers a 3rd round pick for Thurmond,, should we do it?? I think we’ll definitely get some offers on our Corner Backs since we have really good depth and some of our backups can start on half the other teams…

8. OregonHawk says:

I would need more than a 3rd, add in a 6th

Has Avril made it through more than one full practice this camp?

I wonder if Carroll would like to have the option of playing Thurmond at RCB in base and moving him to nickel in that package and re-enter Borwner? Clearly this is pure guess-work and speculation, but if Thurmond is really having this strong of a camp, it makes some sense. Of course that doesn’t take into account Winfield’s play. It will all start to sort itself out Thursday…

10. How far off can a WT3 injury be?

Just when I was ready to take the Crow out of the freezer and thaw it out.
    I just can’t see Carp playing long on a bum knee at 350-or (who knows how much he weighs) for long. Something has to give.
    Hopefully it’s not bad.

12. Too bad Fells is hurt; its the perfect time for him to shine, with Miller out.

Remember all those folks who insisted he was “cut for a reason” the first time? That he wouldnt be back? Yeah, I remember you guys–and there were LOTS of you! Awful quiet on that front lately, hmmm….?!

As I said, and took heat for saying it, just because he got cut doesnt mean he wasnt talented, and didnt mean he wouldnt have another shot. Sure as heck, McCoy got hurt and we brought him back. And Carrol and others have singled him out as a guy who has made amazing strides in a short time.

Now, I too doubt he makes the 53, but I’d bet my butt that he makes the PS this year, if his injury heals. Ok, Im done rubbing it in.

We need all our CBs this year. In fact I would rather us keep one more corner and one less (Guy) on safety this year.
    Thurmond has to prove yet he can stay on the field regardless how talented he is. Hopefully he can.

14. RDPoulsbo says:

I haven’t had much patience for injury prone players since Tubbs. They can have HoF talent, but if you’re on the IR more than you are healthy then it’s time to cut ties. Yes, Carp is one of those guys. If they can get a pick out of WT3, then great.

15. Georgia–I think Guy and Maxwell are battling for a spot, but then again, despite his speed, Maragos may be down there too. I think Seattle keeps Winfield, despite his cost, because WT3 has injury history. If Browner, Sherman, WT3, Winfield make the team, along with ET and Kam, there will probably be 3-4 spots up for grabs b/w Shead, Blackmon, Maragos, Johnson, Guy, Maxwell, Lane, Ron Parker, etc.

Too close to call yet, preseason will help sort the wheat from the chaff…and help decide who ends up in a Jags/Jets/Raiders uni lol!

I see Maragos, Johnson, Maxwell, Lane as the final four DBs to make the team.

BTW- The Seahawks/Chargers game will be on the NFL network Thursday. 11pm Eastern time.
    Damn! I may be passed out before it starts. Definitely a game I need to record.

17. CB’s – this is what I think

Sherman, Browner, Thurmond, Winfield, – they keep 5 IMO so the last spot is between Maxwell/Lane.

Safeties:
    Thomas, Chancellor for sure – I think Blackmon/Maragos/and maybe Johnson fighting for 2 spots

Just My Opinion – which will change when I see some games played

My girlfriend erased it and now I found it on youtube.

Seahawks/49ers Enjoy-

19. I may not be able to get the game this Thursday in my area (I dont have Cable or DirecTV). This happens at least twice in preseason, and makes me Incredible Hulk Angry (of course, since its me, it only looks like Little Orphan Annie Angry)!!

If anyone knows how I could get my hands on a DVD of the preseason games, I would be most grateful.

20. bbnate420 says:

Let’s keep our panties on until we know if the Carp thing is serious. Limping off is better than being carted off.

21. could be a simple ankle – we will know soon enough!!

I just want to see them play on Thursday!!!!

22. SandpointHawk says:

bbnate420… don’t you know half our posters wear their panties on their heads already. They make great hats with two built in eye holes….

23. I agree nate, but sometimes guys can limp along with major damage, so the worry is there…I was really looking forward to watching Carp this preseason, with a full camp behind him. He looks like such a beast…hope everything works out…

24. Sandpoint–I resemble that remark…lol!

25. montanamike2 says:

This is Carp’s make it or break year, i hope it’s not serious.

26. Georgia – yes indeed, that is a better football game than anything we’ll see for at least a month. May as well enjoy a couple more times!

27. bbnate420 says:

STTBM, you’re right there. He could be walking with a torn ACL. It’s just better than being carted off. Hopefully he just mildly pulled a calf muscle or something like that. I understand the inclination to assume the worst with him and WT3.

28. Yeah, Im not assuming anything. Im just tired of hearing about a limping Carpenter lol!

I wish there was a writeup of the most recent practice to read somewhere…im a junkie!

What I liked most about that last Seahawk/49er game was how Sherman and Baldwin stuck it to their former College coach.

30. Yeah they did. Didn’t they.

Hey Harbaugh, What’s your deal?

31. Kingpear says:

Limping Carp concerns me, but they drafted Seymour for a reason, and hell, they started Sweezy and he was a D lineman. On the CB front, I’m sure they are taking Thurmond for a spin in case they can’t re-sign Browner at the end of the year.

32. sluggo42 says:

Macorob, again if ya missed it last thread, thanks for the heads up on the LA broadcast time…!

Carp, carp, carp… Please don’t be jacked up again…
    Lots of guys nicked up… That’s that bad part of camp. I often wonder if there was some way to camp up with out as much violence, and to let it loose against the opponents, instead of our own team, ala Guy…

33. “I may not be able to get the game this Thursday in my area (I dont have Cable or DirecTV).”

Have you tried First Row Sports or another online site? That’s what I usually use. Quality isn’t great, but it’s better than nothing.

34. bbnate420 says:

And of course you can always buy the package on NFL.com if you don’t mind paying.

35. re the comments Wilson made about Willson from the last topic: I would take any praise from Wilson with a grain of salt. He strikes me as the kind of guy who would never say anything even slightly negative about a teammate. presumably he was responding to a question, could you see RW say something like: “Yeah, Luke’s really struggling out there. He’s having difficulty with the playbook and missing badly on some of his routes. He’s really going to have to step it up a bit if he expects to make this team.”

Yeah, just doesn’t sound like him.

36. mocarob says:

2012 yearbook was on espn2 tonight. 830-900pm.

37. jboard1 says:

Thanks JZombie

38. edstang45 says:

GeorgiaHawk that link is awesome, thanks man you are the bestest the top dog the king of the Seahawks insiders!!!! I will put this under lock and key baby

edstang45- Lol. That was my favorite game last year. It’s just as much fun watching it drunk or sober.

Remember Brian Banks?

40. I only have my iphone at home, no computer, as the pricey mac I bought for my wife (I wanted a PC) crapped out due to drive failure six weeks after the extended warranty expired.

And Im not buying the preseason games for computer, as last year my brother did and most of the Seahawk games were mysteriously unavailable, even though in our area it was supposed to be available.

To top it off, my verizon phone barely works at the office, and nowhere is 3g/4g strong enough to justify buying it on my phone–plus the same reason for not buying as above….

So if anyone can get their mitts on a DVD of the preseason game(s), let me know; I have Seahawks junk to trade.

41. Georgia–Nice link on Banks. I really hope that kid makes the team and has a nice career–and too bad it wasnt here.

42. montanamike2 says:

Even though he’s a Falcon, i wish the best for that poor young man.

43. bbnate420 says:

STTBM, I believe they replay every preseason game on the NFL network if you have it.