Tarvaris Jackson scheduled to visit Seattle

Post by Eric Williams on June 11, 2013 at 7:12 pm with 24 Comments »
June 11, 2013 7:12 pm

First reported by ESPN’s John Clayton, I can confirm that quarterback Tarvaris Jackson is scheduled to visit the Seattle Seahawks this week.

If he re-signs with Seattle, Jackson will compete with Brady Quinn for the backup job behind Russell Wilson.

The seven-year pro was cut by Buffalo on Monday, as the Bills narrowed the competition for the starting quarterback job to veteran Kevin Kolb and first-round draft choice E.J. Manuel.

In his only season with Seattle, Jackson played most of the 2011 season with a torn pectoral muscle, finishing 7-7 as the team’s starter. Jackson also is very familiar with Seattle’s offense, having played for offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell for his first five seasons in the league with Minnesota.

General Seahawks

If Baldwin says bring him back then bring him back. So long as he doesn’t start I’m ok with it.

BobbyK, What do you think of Jackson coming back to play backup?

And would you still trade Wilson for Luck?

Boy oh boy, someone hide the sharp objects from BobbyK.

It’s pretty clear the lockerroom is all in on this if Baldwin is any indication.

I cant say I hate the idea. There is some merit here for sure. I am surprised though.

4. montanamike2 says:

I didn’t think i’d want him back, but then Quinn…..
    GeorgiaHawk that last video clip of douche bag is hilarious.

Lol Dukeshire.

I always had a Hutch , I mean Hunch that Jackson had most of the locker-room on his side before the so-called competition last year but now Baldwin confirms it for me.

Great, Hutch, Jackson… steady Bobby. Steady.

7. sluggo42 says:

They say tJack knows the offense, but I don’t remember him running any read option stuff did he?

8. jawpeace says:

LOL Bobby’s favorite player might be coming back. Bobby can take out his T. Jack jersey once again! ^^

9. Does anybody remember what draft pick BUF gave up for TJax?

10. tchristensen says:

Buffalo gave Hawks a 7th rounder this year.

11. 7th round – #214 sent to Minnesota

12. We got a 5th rounder from OAK for AC…

13. SEA doesn’t run much read option.

14. bulldog80 says:

Please Lord no!

15. Good move to get more competition into that QB spot. Jeron Johson has been up and down and Quinn needs to show he belongs. Why not bring someone in to provide a spark at that position before training camp?

Always ComPete…….

And in regards to the read option, I’m pretty sure TJack fits the mold athletically more than Quinn for these plays – although as mentioned, it is a small part of the playbook in reality

16. Southendzone says:

Here are career stats foryour choices of backup QB:

Player A: 59.4% completion 38/35 TD/INT, rating 77.8

Player B: 53.8% 12/17, 64.4

Also, Player B is ranked as the 3rd worst QB of 2012 by Football Outsiders, only better than Ryan Lindley and Mark Sanchez.

That’s right, T-Jack is the clear choice!

17. Jackson got hurt in the Giants game a few years ago running the read option.

18. My biggest surprise of the whole TJack saga has been Doug Baldwin tweeting his support for bringing back TJack. I am not surprised that TJack has some supporters on the team, but I wondered how the Seahawks mgmt. and other players felt about that public support.

19. RDPoulsbo says:

I’d be lying if I said I liked the idea. Still, I’ve also said during the trade Flynn arguments that this only hours to the SB if Wilson says healthy, which I’d still what I believe. As for 3rd string QB A I only care that he can run the scout team offense to the DC’s satisfaction.

20. SaigonSun says:

I like T-Jack better than Quinn, that’s for sure. I like the idea of taking the “reject” from the Eagles ( probably Nick Foles ,or Barkley).

21. sluggo42 says:

Maybe tJack is well liked cuz he is ” one of the boys”.
    RW most definitely isn’t “one of the boys”, you see in the real rob reports, when the players say, “”ooh , a Russell Wilson sighting”!

There is a clear understanding of who the leader of the team is, and I don’t know that tJack ever held that level of respect, or ever could. I think it’s more of a common I will go to war with you, where RW leads the army into the battle, and the team will lay their life down for the guy to a man.

I don’t mean this to be a tJack vs RW thought, but rather perhaps throw out a scenario why tJack was never “the guy”

22. guiltybystander says:

I’d be fine with Jackson returning to Seattle in a backup role if that’s the best offer he can get, but he owes the Seahawks no allegiance after the way he was buried in preseason last year when he’d played hurt for them much of the 2011 season.

23. Eric, Thanks for the link. Sounds like TJack was expressing normal frustration from a guy who is still hungry to compete. Sounds okay to me.

From all reports I’ve heard, TJack still has a ton of respect in the locker room. His team mates appreciate what he did for this team during hard times. He played injured and was very tough and never complained. He’s not a quick decision-maker but he does have a well-rounded skill set and a ton of experience in Bevell’s offense. If Russell likes working next to him, they should sign him.