More details on Moffitt’s legal issues

Post by Eric Williams on May 29, 2013 at 11:44 am with 26 Comments »
May 29, 2013 11:44 am

I have more information on Seattle Seahawks offensive lineman John Moffitt’s legal issues this morning that caused him to miss practice on Tuesday.

According to documents obtained from King County District Court, Moffitt is being charged for misdemeanor trespassing and obstruction.

Moffitt’s agent Michael George said the charges stem from an initial incident that took place in January of 2012, when Moffitt was cited for public urination at Bellevue Place.

According to George, the Seattle offensive lineman chose what he thought was a discreet place to go to the bathroom behind the mall. However, a mall security officer spotted Moffitt and cited him for trespassing. Moffitt also was banned from mall property for a year.

However, according to George, Moffitt had dinner at restaurant in August 2012 that he did not know was part of the Bellevue Place property. Moffitt was spotted by security, who then called Bellevue Police and had him arrested for trespassing.

“It is what it is,” George said. “He’s cooperating with them and trying to take care of it. It was a collegiate-type of mistake. It’s not like he went there to commit a crime.”

“I know he’s a good guy,” George added. “He would never do anything purposely to harm anyone or their property. It just happened.”

Moffitt’s next court appearance is June 14.

While seemingly harmless, Moffitt’s legal trouble represents the third issue with the law for a Seattle player this year.

Linebacker Leroy Hill was arrested for an alleged domestic disturbance in February. A free agent, Hill has not re-signed with Seattle or any other NFL team.

Backup quarterback Josh Portis was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol earlier this month. The Seahawks released Portis last week.

Moffitt is one of seven Seattle players since 2011 to run afoul of the NFL’s policy on performance enhancing drugs.

Moffitt was suspended for the last four weeks of the 2011 season for taking a drug used to treat hyperactivity. Moffitt did not pre-clear taking the drug with the league.

A third-round selection by the Seahawks in the 2011 draft, Moffitt has started 15 games for Seattle over two seasons. However, in 2012 he lost his starting right guard job to J.R. Sweezy.

Legal system
  1. pissing behind the mall? lol. Not much of a crime. This one should pass I would think.

Now Back to Work, Chubby!

2. Sounds like an overzealous mall cop. I know I won’t be going to Bellevue Place … ever.

3. jasong96 says:

The best definition for the stupid phrase “It is what it is.”

A trite, overused and infuriatingly meaningless cliché that is utilized by provincials who think they are adding some deep, meaningful insight during a discussion when all they are offering is senseless, unwarranted repetitiveness to what would otherwise be a far better conversation had they not shown the shallowness of the gene pool they spawned from by using this asininely useless and redundant phrase to begin with.

4. ruminator1 says:

yeah. I believe he claimed that he didn’t recognize that the restaurant was part of the mall. not that unbelievable. frankly, while he will have to (and should) pay whatever consequences come from this, it isn’t as serious as I had feared. moreover, I still believe he can be a very productive player for the hawks. I would also suggest that some mall cops are often extra zealous and officious.

5. Don’t friggin’ screw with mall cops, man! And especially ones who are 69ers fan. After we beat them down on the field next season, the whole team should piss in the shower at Candledick park.

6. Here’s the phone number and email for Kemper Development Company. I’m sure they’ll enjoy hearing from irate Hawks fans.

info@kemperdc.com
    425.454.8096

7. HawkFromDay1 says:

I mean really Moffit?

And the defense is what again? “Oh sorry! I didn’t realize I couldn’t take a piss here” Come on….

One question for Moffit: How many millionaires do you know piss outside, in public, on a wall? You are in a very very small club.

Unbearable stuipidity.

8. I don’t have a problem at all with him getting a ticket and being banned from the mall. However, I happen to work in one of the buildings being managed by Kemper, and I’ve been there for three years and couldn’t tell you which restaurants along Bellevue Way and NE 8th are part of Kemper and which ones are not. So, expecting a 25-year-old kid to realize that the “mall” extends to some of the businesses in the surrounding neighborhood seems ridiculous to me. To me, it sounds a lot like a few folks at Kemper have nothing better to do than to stir up trouble.

9. chuck_easton says:

HawksFromDay1,

He’s not fighting the Urinating in Public ticket. That’s just a fine similar to a parking or traffic ticket.

The Tresspassing is a misdemeaner criminal offense that can lead to a criminal record. Big problem. Especially if it was an honest mistake that he really didn’t know the restaraunt he was in was owned by the same people that own the Mall across the street.

This will come down to what is actually written on the admonition sheet handed out by the security people. If it is specific and lists all properties owned by Kemper by name and address then Moffitt is in a bit of trouble. Ignorance is no excuse in the law.

If Moffitt and his counsel can prove that Moffitt was just told to stay away from the mall area it is likely the tresspassing will be dismissed with the payment of the ticket.

10. Sekolah says:

So that’s what ‘Blutarsky’ did to bring the wrath of Bellevue down upon him. Nice. Yeah, I’m starting to see why he takes medication related to thinking straight and being able to focus.

Moffitt had better blow up this season. I am not even kidding. If he doesn’t win one of the OG jobs then it had better be because Sweezy is some kind of phenom (quite possibly, IMO). I am starting to get the feeling his days are numbered otherwise.

11. sluggo42 says:

A lot to do about very little…
    Mall cops…. Rolling eyes…

Sort of reminds me of when Don Mattingly was cited for taking a leak in his hotel fountain when he was on the road with the Yankees. I kind of laughed then so I won’t be a hypocrite now. Dude had too many barley pops and had to go. Honestly, I’ve done it… (Not that it makes it right or anything.)

13. DanielleMND says:

We waste the resources of the criminal justice system in the silliest ways.

14. Don Mattingly pissing in a hotel fountain. Ah, the good old days! lol.

time to lighten up a little. These guys are not Einstein, and they are not role models. They are professionals at smashing their heads into other people for our entertainment. If they can still sign autographs afterward, that’s all the intellect we should expect.

15. Sekolah says:

It would be a lot more funny to me if ‘Bluto’ were actually fork-lifting DT’s out of Marshawn’s path on a steady basis. We might need him though if Carp becomes the next Chris McIntosh, or if Sweezy finds himself lost in the midst of a horrible soph slump. He can play Center in a pinch as well which is always a plus.

16. jawpeace says:

This reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where the have to pee. LOL common if you have to go super bad are you going to piss your pants or go some where discreet nearby. LOL at least it was not in the fountain.

17. raymaines says:

It seems like JM thinks life is just one big long, on going, never ending joke. That’s a good attitude to have if your primary goal is to avoid ulcers, but it doesn’t help a guy keep a job in the NFL. Come on Johnny.

18. Antideluvian says:

mall cops….(smh)….

19. bird_spit says:

I wonder if he was concerned that his piss had PEDs. Jan 2012 was after his suspension? The mall cop probably was literally pissed he was pissing PEDs on those walls that were his responsibility.

Since I have pissed plenty of times in public, and never sited, my guess is the cop knew who he was and followed his actions. Us little people dont get a second look when we sneak behind a wall and take a leak.

I’m more curious why the courts took the time to charge him. Isnt it better to have him pay a fine by mail or at the window?

20. seahawkfan97 says:

the mall cop is a mall cop cause he couldnt pass the psych exam for the police force…maybe Audible could go and testify that even he doesnt know where all the kemper managed properties are…Probably get a couple tickets and a sign ed jersey out of the deal and get moffitt out of trouble…..what a waste of money in the legal system….And I too have have peed in public…had to go bad….go hawks

21. Opiewon says:

What a dick of a security guard! I could understand if he was in the bay area, they would throw the book at him. In this case, u let the home team player walk away with a warning. This isn’t as serious as a DUI or assault. I’m curious as to how many people have urinated in a spot they should not have. My name would be on that list. This should not be an issue.

22. Skavage says:

Incoming soapbox….

Here is what I don’t get….and Eric this isn’t aimed at you as much as it is at the local media in general and the fan base…

During the Holmgem/Ruskell era, Ruskell was known for only taking “good citizens” (define it how you may) and doing his best to avoid any players that had or might have off field issues. (Though there were still some.) But over time the local media seemed hell bent on pointing that fact out as being a real weakness for us and somehow connecting that with the Seahawks generally being thought of as a soft, finesse team.

Fast forward to today and we have a team that is known to play hard nose smash mouth football. We have an extremely talented, very physical team. And now much of the local media constantly seems to want to bring up the off field issues in a way that seems to point the finger at our front office and say they are failing in this regard. But yet no one seems to want to look at the entire, big picture.

Our front office has turned this roster over with something like 400+ roster moves in three seasons. (I believe it is actually be more but the point is they’ve done more moves than any other team in that time frame.) They’ve taken a team that was old, slow, and not terribly talented and turned it into one that is young, fast, and extremely talented. Yet recently our local media (and some fans) continually want to point out the 10 or so off field issues of the past three years and lumped them together.

Just off the top of my head, there’s been the doughnut store fiasco, the Leroy Hill issue (a pre PC/JS addition), the Moffit issue, the Lynch issue and the Josh Portis issue. Then there has been the PED issues. So out of 400+ changes of PERSONNEL, we’ve seen 11 negative situations, one of which was overturned (Sherman) so we cannot even truly include that if we want to continue to believe in the basic foundations of our country.

It irritates the heck out of me to see the media toss out comments that start making these issues inclusive of each other, as though they somehow paint a picture of poor team management.

Come on guys…you can’t have your cake and eat it too. You want choir boys, hire TR back to run the show and zip it up when we’re beat on the field. You want football players? Then realize the situation. When you turn a roster over with as many changes as we’ve seen in three years, odds are that you WILL see some issues. But if you are going to lump them together with “end of an article” inclusions of commonality, then at least take the time to do some research and validate that the numbers are in fact statistically valid over the given time period you’re looking at. And better yet, validate them against an historical population of the entire league.

Thoughts that come to my mind that I think are worth validating…

1. Are 6 guilty PED findings in 3 years with 400+ roster moves above or below average? Is there any significance to that number?

2. Are 4 off field legal issues in 3 years with 400+ roster moves above or below average?

3. Statistically speaking is there any correlation between the number of non-starters, low draft picks, F/A’s etc, versus high profile starters that have had an issue?

I guess what I am saying is before we start lumping things together and making statements of inclusion, don’t we have an obligation…especially those in the media business…to first validate and confirm what we’re going to state?

(And now that I have said all this, I will just point out that I’m a bit of a hypocrite as I type this, because I haven’t validated any of the numbers or data I referred to and much of it is “guesstimates” on my part. But then again, I doubt Florio or any other media type will take my comments and run with them on their own website, unlike what they will do with comments from our local media.)

23. Skavage: I can’t speak for what happened during Holmgren’s time in Seattle because I didn’t cover the team then. And it’s been pointed out both locally and nationally that Seattle’s 7 PED positive tests are the most in the league during Pete Carroll’s tenure in Seattle, so some context has been provided there.

My job as a reporter who covers the team is to report what is going on, both good and bad. Would you like a list of all the arrests in the past three years of every team? I could do that. It would be boring to read, but it would prove your point that legal issues are something every team has to deal with.

By listing those legal issues for Seattle that have occurred this year, I don’t feel like I’m stating that things are out of control for the Seahawks under Carroll. The facts are the facts, and it’s my job to report them, along with providing some context on the issue, which I think I did here concerning Moffitt’s arrest.

I appreciate hearing your opinion on this matter, and want you to understand that lots of thought goes into everything I write on the blog and in the paper on making sure I’m being fair to the team, yet reporting the information I feel is important.

24. Skavage says:

Thanks for the response Eric. I wasn’t trying to point a finger at you in any way, it was more of a “straw that broke the camels back” sort of thing. :)

I also don’t think anyone should report just the good. I’m of the notion that the reporting should allow independent conclusions rather than dependent conclusions…regardless of the good or bad nature of it.

All that said, I guess I really have two main issues with the media on this subject.

One, is the seeming tendency of the media to wrap articles or commentary up with inclusive comments that tie together completely separate issues and leave the reader with the impression that there is a commonality, and thereby lead the reader to a potentially inaccurate conclusion that something is wrong with the team leadership. Whether it is Seattle or any other team, unless those types of comments are backed with data validating why they are related, it is misleading for them to be utilized as context, in my opinion.

The second thing that gets me riled is the continual inclusion in the media of Sherman’s PED test with other Seattle PED tests. While it is true that there were 7 positive tests, is it right to say “7 positive tests” when the only facts available indicate errors were made with that 7th test? Errors significant enough to render the result invalid? It again tends to lead the reader to an incorrect conclusion (that Seattle’s had 7 players get caught for PEDs). This one riles me up because it flies right in the face of what we stand for in this country…innocent until proven guilty.

Anyway, it’s nothing that will keep me from reading the blog here and nothing that says I don’t respect what you do. It’s just a couple points of contention I have with the way things are portrayed on these two issues, and it happens in other cities with other teams also. :)

25. Hey you legal eagle types out there – isn’t there usually two parts to public urination laws, urinating, and doing it in a place where the urinator should know it would cause alarm or affront to somebody else? Class c misdemeanor at worst. How many homeless are guilty daily? Yet the mall guard picks on a 6-4/319 NFL guard? Strange…

26. mocarob says:

who knew george michael was an agent now..