Morning links: Abraham leaves Seattle with no deal

Post by Eric Williams on March 9, 2013 at 9:09 am with 82 Comments »
March 9, 2013 9:09 am

Mike Garafolo of USA Today reports that free agent defensive end John Abraham is in San Francisco today to meet with the 49ers after meeting with the Seattle Seahawks on Friday.

Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reports that the Saints and Titans also could be interested in Abraham’s services.

Stephen Holder of The Tampa Bay Times reports that the Bucs also are taking a close look at Abraham.

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports plays match maker in free agency, and believes Abraham would be a good fit in Seattle.

NFL Network reporter Alex Flanagan gives Richard Sherman an F grade in Media 101. Flanagan: “I think you are funny and engaging. I laughed when you told skip, “In my 24 years of life, I’m better at life than you.” But I cringed when you got down on his level and called him ignorant, pompous, egotistical, cretin and then told him you were going to crush him. So wait, you are mad because a man who has made a career out of pushing athlete’s hot buttons by saying outrageous unfounded things doesn’t like you? Dude, take the high road, PLEEEEEASE! You, with a Stanford education and all Pro-status, should know better than that.”

Jim Moore of 710 ESPN Seattle also believes Sherman crossed the line. Moore: “Sherman’s dad or his mom or his buddy or his mentor or his girlfriend or his dog – someone, anyone – needs to pull him aside and say: ‘Richard! Shut the hell up!’”

Jerry Brewer of The Seattle Times talks with Mariners prospect John Hicks, who played youth baseball against Russell Wilson back in Richmond Va., and played against him in college. Said Hicks: “As you can tell from football, he’s got a great arm. He was a low-90s guy who had a good slider in college. I actually remember both hits I had against him. One was a double down the line. And I singled off him. One pitch was a fastball, and the other was a slider. He had pretty good stuff.”

ESPN’s Ron Jaworski lists Matt Flynn among his top 10 quarterback options through the draft, trade or free agency. You must be an ESPN Insider to view this. Jaworski: “It’s pretty obvious that Russell Wilson is the starter for Seattle, leaving Flynn as a high-priced backup. In a cap-conscious league, are you better off with him on the sideline or bringing back a few more assets? I’ve never been wowed by Flynn, but I see him as a capable option. His arm strength has always been somewhat questionable, and I was surprised when Seattle paid him handsomely. But in the limited sample of work we’ve seen from him, he has performed well. If you’re going to take a chance on a QB and you know that the player you have isn’t “the guy,” you could do worse than to gamble on Flynn, who threw six touchdowns in his last NFL start.”

Mike Silver of Yahoo Sports has an interesting, behind-the-scenes look at the brokering going on between the NFLPA and the Roger Goodell over the implementation of HGH testing.

Morning links
  1. sluggo42 says:

While Abraham is tempting, I think pet and John aren’t about to overpay, and that if somebody wants to play here, they need to be realistic about their value, and also their desire to have a shot at a SB ring.

No silly money here, move on unless you wanna seriously talk….

2. I haven’t seen an off-season like there where there are so many good pass rushers who will be available. Age and health are factors with many of these guys, but when healthy – a majority of these guys are still major forces at getting to the QB. Abraham is just one option (granted, an option I’d like). Harrison was released and he’s getting injury prone at 35, but when healthy he’s still pretty elite at getting to the QB, too. This is going to be interesting especially when the real free agency starts and guys like Osi hit the market, as well.

3. WiscCory says:

I agree BK. Abraham, Osi Umenyiora, Harrison, Freeney….

If it’s an older vet the Hawks are looking to sign, I like Osi the best, so far.

4. princeaden says:

I guess we should let Stevos keep sleeping ?

5. Carlsonkid says:

Harrison is the dirtiest player in football , no thanks …

6. Never said I wanted him, just said he’s a good pass rusher. Freeney, Osi, Abraham, Jenkins, Avril, Kruger, and potentially guys like Dumervil too.

7. Here is a link to an article talking about risky free agents. Cliff Avril, Osi Uminyura and Paul Kruger are on it.

8. SaigonSun says:

Avril without Suh…I don’t think so ! Now, he wants to play a LB because where ever he ends up, there won’t be a player (like Suh) to scavange off.
    Osi will never do in Seattle because his model girlfriend will dump him if there aren’t enough spot-lights and paparazzi.
    Jenkins said he’d like to go back to Green Bay.
    Kruger and Dunervil will be to expensive.
    Freeney is the only one left of BobbyK’s list… until someone else gets cut. :-)

9. beavercleaver says:

I don’t know if anyone remembers, but we courted Abraham the last time he was a free agent and went to Atlanta. He let it be known afterwards that he was never really interested in Seattle and was using them to up the price. Not saying he will never play on the West coast but he’s a Southeast guy so East coast teams have the advantage with him.

10. The headline says Abraham left Seattle without a deal, but could there have been a deal? Free agency doesn’t start till the 12th. And he might as well take the short plane ride down the coast while he’s out here.

I’m pretty confident PC/JS will do the best for the Hawks in free agency. I think they’ve got the money/contribution ratio finely calibrated. Other than that, I don’t know enough about all these guys to hope we land one of them.

11. HawkfaninMT says:

Yes. He is a free agent now . Those with expiring contracts are not allowed to sign until later.

12. A potential FA backup / competition for Red Bryant

13. ChrisHolmes says:

Harrison. Want him. Now. His attitude totally fits this defense. He’s relentless. Recent injury history aside, I think he’d be a great 2 year FA.

14. DanielleMND says:

“Harrison is the dirtiest player in football , no thanks …”

If he can still rush the passer, then, yes, please. Dirty? Maybe, but any defense that wants to intimidate needs a few guys like that.

15. LeePHilI says:

Anyone ever notice how the dirtiest player in football always plays for someone other than the home team?

16. RDPoulsbo says:

I really like the idea of Freeney or Abraham to bridge to Clemons’s health and an eventual successor. Of course one of them has to play along and go with the pay commensurate of that role. Let Abraham go shopping. The market will dry up for one of these aging DEs and they’ll need to take a lower price. No need to sign any of these guys quickly, let them come to Seattle first.

17. Reading pre-rumblings of Anquan Boldin being released by the Ravens. Hasn’t happened as of this moment but he’s a guy that would “complete” the Hawks receiving core in my mind. It’s fun getting to sit back and watch rosters being trimmed while we patiently take it all in.

Aside from $$$, age & health I don’t see any potential issues.

18. CDHawkFan says:

I thought Dockett or Cole were dirtier.

19. montanamike2 says:

This daylight savings is already mesing with me. I tend to agree that Abraham is just trying to drive his price up, i like Seattle’s aproach.
    We’ll get the right guys at the right time and right price, we have a long term plan ofwin forever and a boatload of picks. I don’t want players that have a history of holdouts and injuries.
    I think Sherman took the bait from Bayless and should follow it up with saying so publicly. Suh is the dirtiest player around these days.

20. Its very quiet – no rumor / news out there about the Seahawks at all.

I agree with whoever noted the dirtiest player never plays for the home team. We could use another dirt bag or two.

21. chuck_easton says:

I’d be more surprised if there was big news/rumours out of VMAC.

I don’t see Schneider doing the big expensive FA signing.

Not his style at GB and nothing to indicate that will change.

I like it that way. Look at all the wasted money Seattle has thrown at past FA busts.

Build through the draft and pick up the occasional under the radar affordable FA.

22. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

couldn’t agree more chuck. i also think they go after a couple of mid level free agents to help the DL again thou only if the price is right.
    i still like bryant out of oakland. i like bennett out of tampa but if you take him you are saying clem won’t be clem when he comes back. funny thing i think jones takes a pay cut and comes back maybe branch too. i just don’t see them back for the money they got this last season. in think if you can replace branch with bryant you just upgraded the DT.

23. I also don’t see Carroll getting enamored with any FA over 30 unless is Dwight Freeny.

I’d like to see them drop Jason Jones, re-sign Alan Branch if he’ll take a reasonable raise (to backup Mebane and Red Bryant).

Then sign Michael Bennett long-term as a starter/rotation player at both DE and DT, and take a good look at Desmond Bryant as a backup DT.

24. hawkfaninoklahoma, I should have read your comment before posting, we’re on the same page.

25. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

stevos, i think bryant is a starter thou, he is good against the run and pass rusher too. i like the idea of bringing branch back as debth.

26. Seahawks2620 says:

Saw a report on twitter that stated the Seahawks are very serious about acquiring Jared Cook. He could be a really nice pickup, however I would want to see Miller’s contract renegotiated first.

27. I’m holding out hope that we sign Freeney or Abraham. Great Clem insurance policy and “now” guy while the potential high pick develops for the future. It’s the best of both worlds. The “now” signing of a vet would be short term and have no impact on resigning our core guys as their contracts come due.

28. hawkfaninOK – I agree Bryant is a starter, I wouldn’t question that. I really hope that plantar fascitis in his foot will not be a recurring problem. At times he’s been our best D lineman when he’s 100%, but we’ve only seen that for about 1.5 years in his career. A healthy Red Bryant is key to this D. And having a capable backup who can fill the same role (Branch?) is also critical since Bryant has a history of injuries.

29. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

lol stevos i meant dez bryant is a starter,lol

30. oklahoma – oh yeah, that would be a great. I think he fits the mold we’re looking for. And he should be thrilled to get rescued from the Raiders.

31. Ewalters7354 says:

Jared Cook would absolutely explode in this offense.I hope that Twitter report is true.

Whose Twitter account is this Cook rumor attributed? A quick search didn’t reveal anything. Can you provide a link?

33. Seahawks2620 says:

It was from Ian Rapport, he was discussing free agency with a fan on twitter, and said that the Seahawks had “definite” interest. I then asked him if the Seahawks were genuinely interested, and he said that they are “very serious” about him. He seems pretty credible. I do apologized, not so much a report as I had previously alluded to, but still from a credible source. I sure hope it is true. Guys a stud.

No, thats cool. He and Miller would make a hell of a combo.

35. SandpointHawk says:

It would be a great combo, but it seems a lot of money to be tied up in tight ends…

36. RDPoulsbo says:

They’re committed to the run, which means a lot more 2 TE or even 3 TE sets so I could see it happen even with tying up a lot of money at that position. It would mean less emphasis on the back end of the WR depth charts and a guy like Obomanu would likely be cut to save on salary.

37. montanamike2 says:

I’d love the signing were it to happen.

38. Seahawks2620 says:

Too much money being tied up at TE would be a significant problem, which is why I would like to see Miller step up to the plate and take a pay cut. He stepped up towards the end of last season, but other than that hasn’t lived up to his contract.

39. why *should* Zach Miller take a paycut? He just set a freaking record for Seahawks TE’s in that playoff game against Falcons while playing on a bad foot, and had a very underrated season. This guy does it all; he pass blocks like a champ, run blocks like a champ and is beginning to develop a special relationship with Wilson. How many comebacks last year revolved around a Wilson/Miller tandem? I can think of at least two off of the top of my head.

Seriously, go somewhere else with a paycut proposal.

40. Seahawks2620 says:

Sekolah- Is there any reason to come at me with with such a snide approach?

It is simply how I felt. He did do those things, and he is a great talent, but that does not mean he shouldn’t be asked to restructure his contract. There are many great talents in this league who are restructuring in order to help their team become better as a whole. As you mentioned, he had some phenomenal moments, but in his entirety still didn’t live up to how much he was paid to this point. I appreciate his services, but no one in this league is above being confronted about discussing a bit of a pay cut. Regardless, there was no need to come at me like that. It is my opinion is all.

41. Southendzone says:

How do you ask Miller to take a pay cut? He was signed at market rate for a premier TE, he does everything you ask of him and he took a cortizone shot in his foot in the ATL game to come back and play his ass off. If this team would have made it past that game and farther last year, you’re talking about a player who’s going to be a Seahawk legend.

If I were him there’s no way I’m accepting a pay cut unless monetarily the deal comes out to my benefit in the way of more guaranteed money over more years or something like that.

He’s more valuable than Jared Cook even in that we know he’s a great blocker and has got himself into a nice rhythm in our offense. For next year, there’s no other TE I would want on the Hawks in his place.

42. All of the premier guys who are free agents sign for more than market value. That’s how those teams get those players to sign with them. Nobody is telling the teams to offer that much.

Then in a few years teams will play the “woe is us and what’s best for the team” approach and ask many players to “restructure.”

It goes both ways.

43. rramstad says:

Zach Miller deserves to get paid, and should get paid.

44. tealskin says:

Don’t see the problem with asking a highly paid player to restructure in order to build the team. Benefits Miller to have a better team around him as well.If it were no cap, different story. Thats why it seems kind of strange, like the case in Baltimore, where Flacco holds out for a huge contract and then tells Boldin to go for top dollar as well. How does that add up? Something has to give somewhere.

In my view, Miller’s lack of statistical production directly correlates to the QB position. That is, as Wilson became more efficient and productive as a passer, Miller’s production increased dramatically. I don’t see Seattle asking him to take a pay cut at all.

46. Seahawks2620 says:

This is exactly why so many of you guys get in arguments so frequently. I state my opinion, give my reasons for it and get jumped. It is petty. I am very aware of how the market works. Besides which, you can always restructure their contract by giving the aforementioned player a larger signing bonus to offset the lower yearly income. In turn, that wouldn’t effect the salary cap. It is how teams are getting the likes of Big Ben to restructure their deals. As I said, no one is above being confronted to restructure their deal.

47. Seahawks2620 says:

Duke- Agreed, that point is very true.

My belief is that, Miller is not the sole reason for our success. So should he in turn be one of the highest paid players on this team if it could potentially hinder the teams long term success. We have a lot of high profile players who are going to demand expensive deals coming up on free agency. Some players will have to sacrifice for the greater good of the team. Miller absolutely deserves to be paid, but that doesn’t mean he can’t help the team a bit.

48. raymaines says:

I want everybody on the roster to take a pay cut.

Now that I think about it, I want all of us fans to volunteer for a pay cut too. I think we all earn too much money and it would be better for our dear and beloved nations economy if we all learned to live on less.

49. Southendzone says:

Nobody’s jumping on you. It’s a open forum to express agreement or dissent with other opinions.

In the NFL in general the owners have a lot more power in contracts than the players. It’s also the owners and management’s job to make sure they’re able to handle the salary cap to accommodate future needs of the club.

A good rule of thumb is that you’d never ask a player to restructure his contract unless you’re willing to flat out release him if he refuses. I doubt that’s the case with Miller.

50. Some guys like Big Ben restructure and lose no money but when it comes to Miller there are some who thinks he should actually take a pay cut in their “restructure” statements.

2620 – I hope you didn’t include me in your “jumped on” comment. I didn’t mean it that way at all. I thought it was only dialogue.

51. rramstad says:

I’m not jumping on anyone… just stating my opinion.

I think Zach Miller deserves to be paid.

I agree with Southendzone that a good rule of thumb is that you generally don’t get into a renegotiation that involves a pay cut unless you are willing to part ways with the player.

That said, of course, there’s nothing wrong at all with talking to players about possibly restructuring. If you can give them more money guaranteed, and help the salary cap overall, they’ll be up for that 99% of the time… but you’ve got to offer something that’s at least comparable to the current deal.

I also agree with Duke that Zach’s production went up as Wilson’s went up… you can’t catch passes that aren’t being thrown, and you can’t catch passes when you are staying in to block.

Long story short, Zach will get paid, and he should get paid.

52. We all know that for the last 2 or maybe even 3 years- if Miller, and other TE’s didn’t have to stay in and block consistently there would be much greater production out of that position. In the ATL game, the line held their own and that made it possible for Miller to get out in to pass patterns and look what happens.

IMO – IF the line can improve ( and play well to start the season) you will see much more out of the TE position in this offense.

53. Jenkins signs with New Jersey Giants. I’d rather bring back Jason Jones (if he’s medically cleared).

54. montanamike2 says:

Millers contract is structured so he makes his money now, but the next couple of years he’s a bargain. That’s the way his contract is structured so we resign players as they come due. he was just getting in gel with Wilson when he got hurt and we lost Clem, total team player. He just needs to be paired up with another stud and i hope he comes sooner rather than later. I’d like Branch and Jones back as quality depth at the very least,(and on the cheap), but if the cream rises and they aren’t there i won’t lose too much sleep.

55. I’m with you, Bobby. I like Jones too but seems a lot of folks here don’t. I hope we bring him back.

56. https://twitter.com/68Breno/status/310900298728210434/photo/1

Breno having some fun with Wilson and Lynch on twitter.

57. That kid is too tall to be RW.

58. RDPoulsbo says:

I think Miller’s contract is fine, but his lack of production lies squarely with having to stay in and help Breno (and Carp previously). I think a lot of people would agree than Gacomini is the weak link on the line. Get a competent RT, and that doesn’t have to be a 1st round pick, and Miller can actually be free to catch more balls. Then add in the complete lack of production from the 2nd TE, whoever that might be for that given week, who can’t block or catch. So there’s no down blocking to free Miller when they do need to keep an extra in-line blocker.

They use a lot of double TE formations, so they need better production out of that #2 TE spot. That means more resources at TE, but likely comes at the expense of the WR position. That’s really not a big deal given how the offense is run. They won’t be mistaken as a spread offense anytime soon, so a 4th or 5th WR might as well be a developmental rookie.

59. It is frustrating to watch Breno in pass protection at times but I don’t think he was the weakest link. He is our second best run blocking lineman, behind Okung. And I thought he had a better year than either of our guard positions. I like our guard moving forward, but they weren’t good last year. Moving forward I think he’s one of the weaker links on the line, but that’s more of a compliment to him that a statement that he sucks. If Breno is your worst, that means your overall line is probably pretty good.

60. Later this morning there should be an article here about why Kenny Easley should be in the Hall of Fame.

61. montanamike2 says:

I hope the TE kid we just signed under the radar turns out to be another Big Mike Williams but without the appetite, i know he’s kind of raw but you never know. At 6’7 he’s a Tony Gonzoles sized guy.

62. montanamike2 says:

Thanks for the link Bobby, more proof that the squeaky door get’s the grease. I’m heading out now, be back later.

63. That was a great write up Bobby.You are spot on about Sherman and Easley.

64. I would be surprised if Sherman even knows that Easley played SS. Kids these days–and many NFL players in their thirties too–know nothing about the history of the game, or much about players who played before they watched the NFL as kids. Nor do they care. Its a right-now kind of mindset.

65. I remember hearing that Steve McNair called his backup Dave Kreig “old man” and had no idea he had been a starter for so long for Seattle, nor that he took the Lions to the NFC Title game with an 8-game run with 13 TD passes and only 2 INT’s…he didnt know a damn thing about players more than 5 years older than himself. It was sad…

66. The last playoff game Dave Krieg won was in 1984 against the Raiders.

You might be confusing when he came in for an injured Joe Montana in the 1993 AFC title game in Buffalo when they played for the Chiefs. But Krieg only led the Seahawks to a conference championship game as a starter.

67. Seahawks2620 says:

Schefter just tweeted that the Vikings are trying to trade Harvin and that they are in talks with the Hawks. He also said we are favored.

raymaines- As a matter of fact, I am in the military and we did receive a pay cut this year. Haha I am aware that you were only joking though.

68. Seahawks2620 says:

He also just sai that the deal is “shaping up” which can mean anything. I would imagine it would mean that it is relatively close.

69. How do you guys see Harvin fitting in with the Seahawks if he comes over? Does he start over Tate and push Tate to the slot?

70. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

flynn for harvin? why would we want harvin when we could get austin? i don’t like harvin’s attitude.

I like the article, and here’s no question Easley deserves to be in the ‘Hall. But I’m curious, does Richard Sherman even know who Kenny Easley is / was? Name aside, it’s unlikely. What I’d like to see is those in the sporting press, Sando, Farnsworth, Clayton, O’Neil, and our own Williams, beating the drum loudly and relentlessly. This isn’t happening. But Bobby is probably right on: had Easly bumped his gums like Sherman or self-promoted like Bosworth did, he’d likely be in.

Harvin would push Baldwin out of the slot, not Tate into it. Harvin isn’t a split-end and Tate is.

73. Seahawks2620 says:

It’s official, Harvin to the Hawks.

74. Pabs–You are dead wrong. Krieg came on in relief of Scott Mitchell the last half of the season for Detroit, and won a playoff game or two. He lost to the Cowboys–who won the super bowl that year–in the NFC title game. Look it up dude.

75. Well, perhaps it was the Divisional Playoff game. I will check.

76. bbnate420 says:

If you’re going to suggest that Miller restructure, you should probably bother to look at his contract beyond 2013. Pretty shortsighted.

I’ve explained this many times. Why can’t everyone here just realize the genius behind my argument. You can lead a horse to water. ;-)

77. bbnate420 says:

STTBM, actually it’s you that is dead wrong about Krieg. He did play very well filling in for Mitchell during the 94 regular season, but he lost in the wildcard round and played like crap.