Morning links: Russell Wilson unplugged

Post by Eric Williams on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:36 am with 41 Comments »
January 31, 2013 10:37 am

Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson joins Tim Brando of CBS Sports at the Super Bowl’s radio row in New Orleans to discuss his rookie season in the video below.

Wilson also joined the set of NFL AM from New Orleans, which you can check out in this video link.

Jason La Canfora of the CBS Sports likes the New York Jets, with former Seattle cap guy John Idzik now running the show as that team’s GM, as a possible trade destination for Matt Flynn. La Canfora also provides a nice rundown on the quarterback market in free agency.

Don Walker of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Russell Wilson will appear in an American Family Insurance commercial during Sunday’s Super Bowl.

Matt Bowen of the National Football Post uses All-22 film to break down how the Baltimore Ravens will use pressure to get after San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Bill Barnwell of Grantland gives Golden Tate’s last second touchdown catch against Green Bay (he calls it a non-catch) as the NFL play of the year. Barnwell also gives the offensive rookie of the year award to Robert Griffin III, and the defensive rookie of the year award to Luke Kuechly.

Sports Illustrated media reporter Richard Deitsch takes you behind the scenes on how CBS will cover this year’s Super Bowl.

Morning links
  1. HawkfaninMT says:

Bill Barnwell with the trifecta of a kick to junk of the Seahawks!

2. SaigonSun says:

Russell Wilson, what-a-guy. What-a-kid. WOW, I am so happy he is on Seahawks’ team.

3. Soggybuc says:

The Flynn to the jets thing makes sense as Rex needs to start winning and doesnt have the time (or possibly the brains/coaching talent) to roll the dice on a rookie. nice thing is that their desperation could mean a veritable raping by JS for picks.

I can’t see them giving much of anything for Flynn. Not with Greg McElroy there.

5. Hey the cut off the interview before RW said,”Go Hawks.”

6. edstang45 says:

No I like the “Go Hawks” thing keep it up. Also Barnwell is actually the hair stylist for our most loved Draft expert, so his opinion is most important..jeeze wish I had more time to read what he has to say.

Still going back and forth on whether i’d like to see a trade for Flynn, maybe for Fitz…but dang we got 10 picks and a pretty crowded roster, so it would have to be a very high pick(s) or a younger proven beast of a pass rusher. ……..GO Hawks

7. Yeah, I’m feeling they should be trying to leverage some of those extra picks to get more 2nd & 3rd round talent. Use Flynn too. PC says, it’s going to be tough to make this roster as a rookie. So, let’s focus on better rather than more picks.

8. This graphic shows the salary cap distribution by position for each team.

Looking at the Seahawks, it’s fair to say very few players are accurately paid. Some are well overpaid and some are well underpaid but few are accurately paid.

9. edstang45 says:

Good link Pab, it seems it would be hard to be fair as you dicker for team needs as they come up and are met at different times, rookies especially now who either rise or descend on the roster, Like RW and Wagner who actually knew they would be so good so fast. two years ago before rookie limits would they have gotten the level of pay equal to how they turned out?? seems like we are in excellent shape for now when they come up to new contracts it will be totally different right

10. I think it simply points to the work the front office will have in the next few years when the Bargain Players start to have contracts expire.

11. Southendzone says:

How do all these appearances work out for players like RW who’s been hitting a lot of talk shows lately? Are those paid appearances, or just to promote yourself and get out there?

12. PugetHawk says:

With ten picks, its kind of interesting to think about the Hawks trading up in the draft. They are notorious for trading down to get more guys for competition but I think this is the year that they could make a move upward to get someone they really like. I just hope half of the picks go towards interior lineman.

13. I love the face of your franchise as someone with brains in his head and high moral character!

Russell Wilson, Earl Thomas, ect….

Reminds me of the Largent Zorn days, except much better.

This team is getting loaded by the day! And I don’t mean my kind of loaded.

BobbyK- Wilson is a combination of Hasselbeck and Jackson.

Hasselbeck had the brains, Jackson had the physical tools. Put it all together and subtract 4 inches and walla! We have HasselJack, or Wilson.

16. SandpointHawk says:
  17. The seahawks are going to have their work cut out for them over the next few years, trying to get the salary cap in order so they can come up with the money to pay the young underpaid guys like Wilson, Sherman, Browner, Wright, Chancellor, etc.

Not to mention the big payday Earl Thomas, Okung, and even Tate will likely get.

Zach Miller is a great player, but he isnt worth 7 million a year. Neither is Sidney Rice, but thats what it took to get those guys. I doubt either one will accept a paycut to stay here, so that could be interesting in another year or two.

IMO, the Hawks need to pay Browner some money. The guy has played at over a 7 million a year level, yet is making 500k or less. Two years is enough to prove youre worth what your play says you are. Unless the CBA rules wont let Seattle re-do his contract for another year, the guy should get extended and paid. Wright too, though he isnt a superstar, he deserves more.

THen again, Carp and Moffit deserve paycuts, but that wont happen. Lif aint fair. Guess we’ll have to wait and see what Carrol and Schneider think is fair.

What about Mebane? When is his contract up?

18. banosser says:

PLease JS.. package Flynn and picks to move up to get Lotulelei… then sign DE Avril from Detroit… then even the refs won’t be able to keep the Lombardi out of Seattle

19. Wow, Georgia, you are on da purple drank lol!

20. SandpointHawk says:

Yeah, he’s getting in his Georgia grove, might have a parody in the works…

STTBM- High gravity.

BTW- I feel a little bit for Hill. I woke up this morning and my girlfriend said she had a dream that she found another womens panties in my drawer. So she started the day pissed at me just because of a stupid dream. Sometimes you just can’t win.

22. One thing working against the Hawks today from a few years ago is players drafted after the first round are only restricted for four years (used to be five) so our guys are going to be able to get paid earlier than we had been used to doing just a few, 5, and 10 years ago.

I’m not too worried about Okung and what he’ll make on his next contract. He’s already earning superstar money since he was a high pick under the old rookie salary schedule.

Guys like KJ Wright are not even eligible for extentions until after next year. Even if the Hawks wanted to pay him more, they couldn’t. That rookie contract is his rookie contract and that’s what he’ll play under (and I think I understand those rules correctly – someone please correct me if I’m wrong).

23. piperfeltcher says:

Not allowed to renogiate until the final year of rookie contracts is more or less the rule.

24. LeePHilI says:

::::makes note to stay with wife and not swoon GeorgiaHawk’s GF:::::

25. Bobbyk–I realize Wright isnt eligible to be extended now, but he’s one of the ones who deserve a raise already and will have to be taken into account in the next couple/few years, which was my point. I did not mean he needed to be paid NOW, I realize that he cannot be, under the terms of the CBA.

But there are quite a few in line for a raise in the next few years, and the time to prepare for the needed cap space is now.

26. raymaines says:

Extra seventh round picks are used to draft the guys you otherwise would have had to recruit as undrafted free agents. The brain trust has done well in that regard and now they don’t have to compete with other teams for guys like Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, Rishaw Johnson, and DeShawn Shead.

Go Ravens!!!

28. tchristensen says:

Hopefully JS can turn those 12 picks into 6 high picks.

29. bbnate420 says:

I believe you’re correct, BobbyK.

Has RW taken his poor wife on a honeymoon yet? Maybe this trip to Nawlinz is it? I’ll make time for her if he won’t. ;-)

30. bbnate420 says:

STTBM, BB is not eligible to be an UFA until after 2014. You have to remember that he hardly had any time of service in the NFL before he came here. He is a RFA after next year. They could either sign him to an extension of offer him a relatively low one year offer that allows them to match any offer from another team or receive at least a 1st round pick as compensation if they do not match, I believe.

Zach Miller gets a bump to 9.8 mil in 2013, but the number comes back down to a much more friendly 5.8 mil in 2014, when they will need to start redoing other contracts. I don’t see him going anywhere. Rice makes 8.5 mil in 2013-2014 and 9 mil in 2015. I don’t see them releasing him or trying to force him to restructure before next season. Possibly after 2013, depending on what happens.

Okung is signed through 2015, and the cap numbers are pretty good IMO. His numbers are 7.06 mil in 2013, 8.76 in 2014, and only 4.8 mil in 2015. That looks pretty good next to Joe Thomas’s 11.5 mil average. They’d probably want to sign him to an extension before 2015 started. Carp is only making a little over 1 mil in 2013 and a little over 1.4 mil in 2014. Not exactly severely overpaid. Hopefully, he’ll be underpaid the next few years. Moffitt is only making 625 thousand on 2013 and 750 thousand in 2014. You have to remember they were signed after the new CBA.

P.S. I got all these figures from rotoworld if you wanted to know.

31. Not everyone is going to get paid as they “deserve” by the Hawks so you identify the absolute keepers, keep drafting well and cut loose or just lose guys you think you can replace at a cheaper rate.

When the time comes Wilson & Sherman are going to get PAID. Okung, Thomas, Lynch and Unger are already getting good $$. IMHO those are arguably our 6 best “big money” players. Wagner’s contract is so far out I’m not worried. Out of Browner, Tate, Baldwin, Chancellor & Wright odds are that we will lose at least one of them as a FA casualty.

I don’t know what we would/will get for Flynn. Part of it depends on what the Hawks try to accomplish in free agency. If we try to make a big signing or two and need to clear salary then Flynn might be had for lessor compensation. If not maybe he is part of a draft pick swap like we pulled off to get Hass. I highly doubt the Jets would swap 1st round picks with us going from #9 to #25. Maybe they would swap 2nd rounders going from #7 to #24. I like having Flynn in our back pocket but if shipping him improves the team obviously I’m all for it. The Hawks have the ammunition to do some interesting things with cap space, players and a plethora of picks to work with.

“…would you say that I have a plethora of piñatas?”

5 bonus points to name that movie!

32. rramstad says:

Three Amigos

33. SeventiesHawksFan says:

Looking over the salary numbers just posted, the most obvious to find a few million more dollars was Obomanu’s salary of over $2 million. Our special teams didn’t see a drop off after Obo’s injury. And the young receivers already on the roster are arguably just as good.

Three other players that stood out were Leon Washington, Heath Farwell and Omiyale.

The other most obvious spot is Flynn’s contract, which can only been mitigated through a trade.

Add up those four players salaries (not including Flynn), plus the 9 million we just lost from our cap number from Branch and Jones’ expiring contracts and there is plenty of cap room to add a Melton or Starks.

And also possibly enough to sign a player like Umenyiora or Freeny on a two year deal.

And also to resign Jason Jones and possibly add a high quality free agent LB, WR or TE.

How nice would it be to head into the draft knowing that we have help and DE and DT already on the roster, and we still have plenty of money to sign all of our picks?

34. SeventiesHawksFan says:

Also, if I were JS I’d be looking to extend and rework Miller’s contract so that the cap hit is less this year and spread over three more years. He’s still young at 27 and arguably a more important long term fixture in our offense than any of our other current receiving options.

And Miller would have the assurance that he will be here for what are likely to be many more playoff runs. And with the brightest new QB talent in the NFL.

I like Rice an awful lot but at his salary number, he is rather easily replaceable via free agency. And we are in a different position now in terms of being able to atttact a player who wants to win. As long as Bevell is OC though, I think Rice will be with us.

Nor do I think Tate or Baldwin would be difficult to replace, though we’d have to pay more than we pay them currently.

Also with Tate and Baldwin (and Rice at the end if his contract), I don’t expect re-signing them to be particularly expensive. They don’t have the stats ir game changing ability in and of themselves to justify big contracts in free agency. And Baldwin has an injury history.

I think we’te going to get them both back on acceptable terms. And be in a position to tell them both to walk if their demands become unacceptable.

35. By the time Tate’s contract is up, I suspect it will be expensive to re-sign him. With Wilson at QB and Bevell staying – Tate stands to be the greatest beneficiary. That said, he will also likely be irreplaceable by then. He is our best “scramble drill” WR.

36. bbnate–right, he’s eligible for a new contract after next year, and has earned a substantial raise. Seattle will need to treat him fairly and not just pay him the lowest amount possible to keep him from being taken by another team as a RFA. I dont think they will shaft him, I think they pay him. At least I hope they do. My point was they need to start freeing up cap space to pay guys like him, because there are going to be a lot of guys who have earned much bigger contracts over the next 1-3 years.

37. bbnate420 says:

STTBM, I’m not sure they do need to offer BB more than a RFA tender after 2013. As far as leverage goes anyways. He could get pissed and decide to leave after 2014. That’s a risk. Although, like I said before, he will be 31 going into 2015 and I’m not sure that the rest of the league sees him as a top 5 CB like you do. I don’t see him getting a giant contract. Not one for more than 2-3 years at least. Another team can’t just TAKE him as a RFA. They can match ANY offer made to him, and they will get a 1st round pick in return if they decide not to match. That’s as long as they offer him the top tender, which was 2.7 mil in 2012. I can’t see them not doing that.

38. bbnate420 says:

Also, BB is not like a Revis that could probably thrive in any defensive system. He needs to be in a certain type of system, which reduces the teams that will consider signing him.

39. Almost every team is going to pay the least amount possible to sign a guy! – Now they may over estimate what it is going to take to get him but they aren’t going to give a guy more money than they think is doable or the number needed to get him!!