Williams fined $7,875 for slapping Sherman

Post by Eric Williams on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:20 pm with 23 Comments »
January 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Washington offensive lineman Trent Williams was fined $7,875 by the NFL this week for slapping Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman after last Sunday’s Seattle vs. Washington NFC Wild Card matchup.

Sherman said that Williams walked up to him after the game and threatened to hit him. Sherman told him to go ahead, and Williams followed through with his threat by hitting Sherman with an open right hand to his face.

Williams later apologized to Sherman after the incident.

“He apologized and all of that,” Sherman said this week. “It’s done.”

NFL news
  1. gonefishin69690 says:

Well Roger, that should ensure player safety. What a useless hack.

2. Does the NFL Commissioner die in office like the Pope?

3. thursday says:

he may have apologized, but the penalty should still be a little stiffer than barely 8k imo

Totally agree: Goodell is an *absolute* hack. The equity with which he dispensed fines is non existent. Simply ask Okung about it.

BTW, where does that particular figure come from? $7875?

5. SandpointHawk says:

Supreme Court Judge kinda thing, unless he doesn’t toe the owners line….

6. SandpointHawk says:

Sorry let me clarify for everyone… Goodell is a tool.

7. HeatherHawk says:

You mad bro?

Sorry, someone had to say it…

8. djbargelt says:

Ok, I get how the figure was arrived at. Was $8000, but he received a $125 discount because it was Richard Sherman.

9. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Thanks Eric. I was about to use some asterisks and bleeps, but after reading that I understand.

10. Dave Boling says:

That’s a great link, EW. It’s interesting to note that the fine Trent Williams received for hitting Richard Sherman in the face is the same as a player would receive for failing to wear his chin strap.

11. “$125 discount for Richard Sherman…” LOL!

A nickle per word for everything he said during the game.

12. Only 3 teams in NFL Playoff history have come back from a deficit of 14+ points at the end of the first quarter – 1957 Lions and 2003 Eagles were the other 2.

13. princeaden says:

I’m kind of surprised they didn’t get Branch for the subtle legwhip he pulled off I think the 3rd Qtr.

pabuwal is the more lucid klm008. Although for accuracy sake (presuming the stat is correct) it ought to read either “15+” or “more than 14″. Simply because “14+” suggests 14 “or more” points, in which case Seattle would then qualify as the 4th team. In any case…

15. I stated it correctly. Seattle was the third team.

16. Pretty much, he smacked a player in the face, and got fined 375 dollars more than Trent Cole got fined for tearing Okung’s pectoral muscle.

17. princeaden says:

I just hope the Refs let’em play and we don’t get caught up in pass interference penalties at pivotal times.

18. This is sooo weird. Went to post here tonight and the “Comment” box that you use to post does not show up in my Internet Explorer web page. So I thought my cookie had to expire and I needed to sign in again…nope the sign-in box doesn’t show either. So I finally decided to DL Firefox and viola, everything works fine in Firefox. Still no idea why IE doesn;t work all of a sudden. Oh well, back to the important thing at hand…The Hawks!

19. sluggo42 says:

Ya I like Firefox too

20. bsinnitt says:

All I have to say is boo f-in hoo to ATL’s bad luck. They would have won a playoff game if they hadn’t kept drawing the eventual super bowl winners. Well, tough shioot Atlanta, it happened again. I’m hoping we get to go to Lambeu next week and put an end to the whining but I have a feeling it’s going to be an all NFC West championship game. If only Harbaugh was required to be on the field for the Seahawks trophy presentation, that would be priceless!

21. seatowntp says:

bsinnitt. . . You are correct, subjecting Hardbag to watching the Hawks lift the trophy would be must see, or must DVR tv. Then. . . seeing the Hawks dismantle the patsies (I live in Mass) would be my dream come true. First step is shutting down the Falcons. Go Hawks!

22. Trent Williams got a $125 discount because he switched to Geico :-)