Okung, Unger voted as starters to Pro Bowl

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 26, 2012 at 4:22 pm with 14 Comments »
December 26, 2012 4:37 pm
Seattle Seahawks rookie Russell Okung, left, stands with Seahawks' Max Unger, right, during an NFL football mini-camp, Friday, April 30, 2010, at Seahawks headquarters in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

The Seattle Seahawks announced that offensive linemen Russell Okung and Max Unger have been selected to this year’s Pro Bowl team.

The honor was the first for both players, and will serve as a homecoming of sorts for Unger, who hales from Hawaii.

“I’m very proud of them,” Seahawks offensive line coach Tom Cable said. “I think that the work they’ve put in has paid off for them. It’s a pretty neat deal.”

Named to the second team was running back Marshawn Lynch, who earned his third Pro Bowl nod, and safety Earl Thomas, who will make his second trip to Hawaii.

Leon Washington was selected as the return specialist for the NFC, the third time he’s been selected to the team.

Players are picked by a combined vote of fans, coaches and fellow players.

The Seahawks also had eight alternates — defensive end Chris Clemons (1st), fullback Michael Robinson (1st) and cornerback Richard Sherman (1st), safety Kam Chancellor (2nd), special teamer Heath Farwell (2nd) and punter Jon Ryan (2nd), quarterback Russell Wilson (3rd) and defensive tackle Brandon Mebane (4th).

Those players would be named to the team if a selected member of the NFC squad cannot participate.

Awards and honors
  1. Congrats to Max and Russell on their first Pro Bowl!!! They have come a long way and it’s sure nice to have them healthy. They might be too tired to play though so close on the heels of the Seahawks NFC title game appearance.

2. Ewalters7354 says:

Sherm an alternate? Lol…wow

Well, at least Sherman is a 1st alternate. But good lord, this is what you get when you allow the fans to vote. I hope he’s selected an all pro, that carries far more weight anyway (at least for me).

4. edstang45 says:

I’m surprised Sherm missed as starter but he’ll be busy that week gettin reaby to play in SB

5. freedom_X says:

I thought players and coaches made up 2/3rds of the vote. Which means it’s not just schmoe fans who didn’t vote for Sherman. It’s Sherman’s peers. Very interesting why they didn’t think that much of him. By contrast, most sportswriters did have Sherman as a Pro Bowl pick.

6. Jeff Saturday got the most votes for Center and he rides the bench..

7. This should light Sherman’s fire.

Congratulations to Max and Russell O for making it. Once again our team is a team first and individual second. The voting shows that.

8. wabubba67 says:

I read today where NFL rules prohibit anyone who has failed a drug test from being named as a starter in the Pro Bowl.

9. The NFL…guilty until proven innocent.

This is great news for Max…he is the leader of the offensive line and I’m glad he got the recognition he deserved.

How many Seahawks were left off the list. Marshawn a runner up…gimme a break.

10. guywhothinksheknowsitall says:

I thought Lynch was right where he deserves to be at #2 behind only Adrian Peterson.

11. I have always LOVED Unger – glad he is getting some recognition. Granted I think that Sherman is a better player than Unger and Okung – BUT I just don’t see OL depth around the league. Not like what we saw a few years ago with Big Walt first broke into the league

12. The fact that there are 5 KC players on this team is rediculus – just saying

13. HawkFromDay1 says:

Has anyone done the tally to compare how many Pete/John draft picks have made pro bowls, compared to Ruskell? I assume its not close – probably irrelevant to calculate that, but no one likes to pile on the failed Ruskell administration more than me.

Also BobbyK – love your stuff always man, and i don’t want to harrass you – but if you have to pre-emptively apologize about using the r-word, you already know that its a less than ideal means of expression. I don’t wanna get into a long discussion about this, but I have trouble letting that word go without saying something. Sorry for being off topic… it’s not you, its me.

14. PugetHawk says:

Sherman and Browner cannot make the Pro Bowl because they failed drug tests. I am not sure if Sherman will be eligible if he wins his appeal or not but either way I think its too late at this point to be anything but an alternate.