Friday practice notes

Post by Dave Boling / The News Tribune on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:57 pm with 48 Comments »
December 7, 2012 1:57 pm

On the injury front: Red Bryant (foot) practiced and will be listed as probable for the game. “He looks like he’s in pretty good shape to go,” Pete Carroll said. CB Marcus Trufant, though, has been listed as “out” again with a hamstring. LB Leroy Hill (ankle) was limited in practice and is listed as questionable for Sunday’s game against Arizona. SS Kam Chancellor (groin) and C Max Unger (hip) rested Thursday but practiced Friday and are probables.

The Hawks practiced outside in cold and drizzly conditions. “We don’t know what we’re going to get on game day,” Carroll said of the decision to go outside. “We got a good day of work yesterday inside, so we got a little bit of the elements out there (Friday); it’s good to be on the grass for us and mix it so we don’t pound it every day inside.”

With Trufant’s injury and the four-game suspension of  cornerback Brandon Browner, Walter Thurmond and Jeremy Lane got more work with the secondary this week in preparation to face Cardinal nemesis Larry Fitzgerald. “They had a lot o f activity this week,” Carroll said of those two.” Walter’s very comfortable with the opportunity,  and for Jeremy it’s a first time-shot for him. He’s a very talented kid and he knows what he’s doing and he’s been practicing well all year at the spot, so not that big a transition for him. We just need to see how he responds in the game.”

With G James Carpenter out,  it appears that John Moffitt and rookie J.R. Sweezy are in competition for action. “(Sweezy) practiced with the ones quite a bit this week to make sure he’s prepared,” Carroll said. “He and John will play the spot so we’re in good shape there.”

Key players on the Arizona injury report are DE Calais Campbell (calf), RB Beanie Wells (knee), WR Andre Roberts (ankle) all considered questionable.

1. mocarob says:

NFL Network is showing last year’s Det vs GB game on NFL Replay Saturday at 11am. You can check out Matt Flynn’s 6td’s and his perceived weak arm..

2. jawpeace says:

If they put Sweezy back in there at guard it will be interesting to see his development over the season as Dockett ate him for lunch. Speaking of guards Paul McQuistan has done a marvelous job! A reason I can say that is because I don’t remember his name/number being called out this season a bunch of times. I can remember the personal fouls of Giaca, false starts of Okung, holding by Moffitt and Unger. But Paul M. has done well not to get flagged. Also he has not got blown up like Peppers did to Carp last week on a bull rush.

3. hawkdawg says:

The strength of Flynn’s arm has been reduced to sheer irrelevance as long as Wilson is upright.

Since Bennie Wells came into the league in ’09, has he ever *not* been on the injury report? Seriously. I’d be willing to bet it’s less than 5 games. lol

5. trout_hound says:

Flynn may be decent, but Wilson is so good they put his name on every football in the league.

6. Skavage says:

I think Beanie Wells and Tom Brady are probably tied for the record for consecutive weeks on theinjury report. ;)

7. Skavage says:

Is it just me or has the blog been EXTREMELY slow for others the past few days? Seems everytime I click “Submit Comment” it takes a long, long time to post. Almost times out.

Skavage – I haven’t experienced that.

9. Skavage says:

Strange…happens on the blog here but not anywhere else.

10. If Sweezy is a better option than Moffit, we are in trouble.

I’d rather see Lemuel Jeanpierre than Sweezy, and maybe more than Moffit.

11. edstang45 says:

Although to us 10 mil should enable anyone to handle his situation, but as an elite athlete it must bug the crap out of him as he could make that 10 mil as a starter. It must be tough to be so close to his dream of being a starter in the NFL!!! He has my respect and we do need two if not 3 quality men at the position.. I’m glad that we don’t have issues on this front and I hope he stays a long time

12. EastCoastFan51 says:

Why is Flynn still a topic of conversation? Time to move on guys Flynn will never take a snap for the Seahawks as long as Wilson is healthy and playing well. Maybe if Wilson has s sophomore slump, but even then I don’t see Carroll making a switch…much like Rex Ryan won’t dump Sanchez. As of right now Wilson has 6 times the game experience then Flynn had, 12 starts vs 2 starts. Flynn had a team that was rolling and was surrounded with very good WR talent, he would not have the same success with this team…and I know many will say “we’ll never know” and you are right we won’t, why bother Wilson is about to break the TD record for rookie QB which speaks volumes. And that is after it took 6-8 games of him being held back by the game planning. Now they know they can trust him and he is blowing it up, what like 9 td’s – O int the past 4 games? I’m a believer and I’ll admit games 1-4 I wasn’t so sure. If our defense hadn’t crapped itself in a few games late this team would be 9-3 easily.

13. gonefishin69690 says:

Lol @trout_hound.

14. “Wilson is defenitley the Man!!! but Flynn (atleast it seems) has showed a very high character in the way he has handled his situation.”

That’s a good point to make — Flynn could definitely have given a griping interview at some point this year, esp after a couple of RW’s tougher early games, saying that he never got a chance, that Carroll treated him poorly, etc., etc., and he never did that. I absolutely give him credit for handling what has to be a hugely disappointing turn of events for him, like a pro.

15. mocarob says:

EastCoastFan51 – Did anybody here say he should be playing?
    The comments have been – You can watch him on NFL Replay and he’s handling 2nd string pretty well. We talk about Malcolm Smith backing up Leroy Hill. Jeremy Lane backing up Trufant. etc etc..

Yes, Lol @trout_hound. Funny I just got done watching castaway and was thinking that Wilson would be great for endorsing Wilson products.

BTW- Doesn’t Dockett know that his fine would be a fraction of what he got if he were to dislodge another players shoulder and end their season?
    What was in that spit anyways, buckshot?

Flynns coin toss calling is MVP material. Every team needs a good coin toss caller.

It’s hard to feel sorry for Flynn, he had every chance to win this job before the season started. Perhaps if he spent the same amount of time at the facility as Wilson did he may have had a better chance to win the starting job.

With that being said Flynns a grown man and a good QB that has many times the money that Wilson has , and a Hot looking wife to boot. He is still young enough to catch on with another team, although I selfishly want him to remain our backup. But if he does end up going to another team, I would be curious just to see how good he can be as a starter.

Do you have even a shred of evidence Flynn didn’t work as hard, or put in as much time as Wilson has? No, you do not. By even suggesting that Flynn didn’t work as hard as Wilson has, you devalue Wilson’s ability to win the starting position based on the merits of his play and talent. And for a day one Wilson supporter, as you’ve been, that is a peculiar, if inadvertent insult.

19. Dave Boling says:

Skavage … I’ve encountered the slow blog, too, on this end, filing blog posts. I was told it had something to do with the server (perhaps that it was old and cranky), and it would be fixed in the near future. Please wait it out … we appreciate your patience … carry on.

20. Flynn would have died by now, our pass blocking is terrible at times, ok at best. Wilson has masked the issue by being so good on the run.

21. confucious says:

With a limited Qb class this next draft and the number of teams that need a starter….Hmmm. Flynn would bring a tidy sum on the open market. I’ve heard espn’s pundits say that this draft is rich with linebackers. Just saying. (I know, I know, consider the source) For the record, it is nice to have a backup with the potential of Flynn in my opinion.

22. princeaden says:

In all honesty, the only time I’ve even thought about Flynn recently was when I was fantasizing about a package of He and an undisclosed draft pick going to Arizona for Fitzgerald. I know it’s wishful thinking. But a guy can still dream right? Just think of the possibilities of how that would put this offense over the top. Yikes !!

23. sluggo42 says:

They won’t get rid of Flynn with out serious cash and picks. They don’t have another backup, and Flynn would step right in. Tis league is one hit away from a starting position.
    Flynn isn’t going anywhere

24. montanamike2 says:

I feel really good about having another possible playoff caliber qb if Wilson did go down.

25. hawkdawg says:

I would not be at all surprised if Wilson outworked Flynn. The dude outworks everybody, by every account I have seen. He’s in at 6:00 am, every morning, or earlier. He watches film and studies every spare moment. The rumor, at least, is that they had to kick him out of team HQ during the bye week.

That’s a “shred” of evidence, and more, right there.

The only way we would know for sure is if a teammate or coach made the comparison, and there would be nothing to gain from that. But if I were a betting man, I’d bet on Wilson’s work ethic, every time.

Which is not to denigrate his “talent”. He’s clearly more athletic than Flynn, in that sense of the word. And his work ethic is part of his “talent”, more broadly.

But it’s all moot now, anyway. Barring injury, Flynn’s goose is cooked as a starter for Seattle, at least with this coaching staff. Doesn’t mean it’s bad that we have him, at all. Just means he’ll be holding a clipboard for as long as he’s here, so long as Wilson can play.

26. princeaden says:

I wasn’t suggesting moving Flynn til the offseason. My guess is that He will let it be known in the offseason of his desire for a new team.

27. DanielleMND says:

I think Flynn could be a solid starter, but Wilson has shown the potential to be special.

28. Ewalters7354 says:

hawkdog, mostly every QB I’ve heard speak gets up earlier than their teammates.How do we know Wilson works harder than Flynn? How do we know Flynn can’t be special? Those are questions we may never get the answers too, but just making it seem like RW is doing so much more than Flynn without evidence is odd.

29. pabuwal says:

If the Seahawks can get a 4th rounder for Flynn they should pull an Andy Reid and take it and run.

Ewalters7354- No one is taking anything away from Flynn as being a hard worker, however I haven’t heard one report since Flynn has been here like we have heard about Wilson and his almost obsession with film study, attention to detail and off time spent in at the facility.
    And we here this kind of stuff about him almost daily.

I think that’s a little more than a shred of evidence.

And it’s probably a good question for Eric on the next chat.

“hear”

32. Ewalters7354 says:

Georgia, I agree to an extent Mainly because the main guy gets all the attention. And I’m cool with that.Flynn has been a true pro and that makes me even happier to have him on this team.Also, I would like to believe he helps Wilson out a ton with the knowledge he’s gained over the years.But those small things don’t get mentioned. Sort of like when Flynn started those two exhibition games.All the attention went on him not RW.I guess that just comes with being the guy lol

I don’t make this stuff up, I just read it and formulate opinions from it like most of us do here.

34. montanamike2 says:

I wouldn’t trade Flynn for a 4th rounder, good backup qb’s are hard to find. Unless the FO has another gem up their sleeve in the draft i would hold onto that commodity while i could. The price could get much higher next year too. I don’t want another Whitehurst or Portis to lean on, look at Philly, Arizona, San Diego(clippy)…….

35. “…they should pull an Andy Reid and take it and run.”

Imagine Andy Reid running… lmao.

36. pabuwal says:

Flynn will be gone after next year so they might as well get something for him.

They can then pick up Matt Cassell after he gets cut. They will still have the same skill level at QB but with a 4th rounder as well.

37. Ewalters7354 says:

If the hawks can somehow draft Geno Smith, the hell with Flynn.I love that guy.I can only dream ;-)

38. montanamike2 says:

Matt Cassell would be a workable option. I still think we could get a 2nd and possibly a 3rd the following year for Flynn.

As I have stated before, I really don’t want Flynn to leave, however he deserves another shot at it.
    It will be an interesting off season in regards to Flynn, imo.

40. confucious says:

I am good with Flynn staying. But if you were ever gonna trade him, this would be the year. KC, San Diego, AZ ( No. Scratch that.) Philly, and possibly Oakland are candidates for Qb upgrade. The draft is slim on Qb prospects. With the “win now” mentality of fan base and ownership, I could see a clamoring to find a franchise Qb prospect such as Flynn. Could you imagine what diamonds PC/JC could find this draft with a couple extra picks? Oline. linebacker. Dline. These guys have been talent magnets.

41. pabuwal says:

Flynn won’t be with the Seahawks after year 2. They will be forced to release him due to his contract. If he’s going to be traded it has to be this offseason.

This front office essentially signs free agents to 2 year contracts, regardless of the total length and salary numbers reported.

42. Jusjamn says:

Economically the Seahawks probably have the right amount of money tied up in the QB position considering salary cap and floor. It gets tricky and often times bad when you have a superstar taking a huge chunk of the pie for his position.

IMO since next year is Flynn’s last under contract, you wait and see during next season if a QB goes down and the price (draft picks) spikes up a little. That’s assuming we have a 3rd stringer Petey is comfortable with for backup.

BobbyK- Thanks alot for that image of Reid. Lol.

44. confucious says:

Jusjamn. You do bring up a good point. With RW running as much as he does the potential for injury is greater. That may increase the value of a keeping a capable backup.

45. As long as our O-line plays the way they have this year, Flynn is a non-solution at qb, not because he isnt good, but because he’s too slow to run away from the pass rush. We need a backup who can run–hell, if the line doesnt improve, even T-Joke would be a more workable solution at backup qb! I like Flynn, but we owe him a chance to start elsewhere if we can get anything decent in trade for him (otherwise he’s gonna have to stay and man up). I hate to say it, but perhaps (big perhaps here) we’d be better off with a running qb like Vick or Young. If those two dorks have anything left, that is…

Our coaches have also proven that they will not open the offense up and sling the ball like GB did, so even if we DID have a functional offensive line, you wouldnt be seeing Flynn throw for 3-4 TD’s.

Flynn in GB’s offense: NFL starter, decent; Flynn in Bevell’s offense with our line: lucky to get out with 170 yards passing and his life.

46. Thanks Dave!

47. Flynn is not slow – or immobile – I wouldn’t call him fast either.

I like him as a backup – and potential player if – heaven forbid – Wilson gets hurt. If a team was willing to overpay to get him I would let him go. If not then you have 2 more years with him ready to run out there and play. My guess is he walks at the end of his contract