Morning links: Washington itching for TD return

Post by Eric Williams on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:15 am with 26 Comments »
November 8, 2012 7:17 am
Seattle Seahawks' Leon Washington in action against the Minnesota Vikings in the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Nov. 4, 2012, in Seattle. (AP Photo/John Froschauer)

If you’re thinking that it’s been awhile since you’ve seen Seattle Seahawks return man score a touchdown, you’re right.

According to my story today, Washington last scored a touchdown on a return on Dec. 12, 2010 in a Seattle’s 40-21 loss at San Francisco.

With the limited opportunities because of the new kickoff rules, Washington even brought a punt return out of the end zone last week against Minnesota in attempt to try and create an explosive play. Fortunately, he made it back to the 22-yard line.

The 30-year-old Washington said he’d like to have a big play against his former team, the New York Jets.

“Would I like to return a touchdown against the Jets? Yes,” Washington said. “Would I like to return a touchdown against the Rams? Yes. … It will be an intense game for us, especially since we’re at home, so I’m liking that part of it.

“It will be fun to go out there and see (Jets special teams coach) Mike Westhoff. I have tremendous respect for him, and some of the guys that were drafted with me—D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Eric Smith, Nick Mangold and such. It will be good to go out there and see some of those guys, but at the end of the day, we’re trying to win the game.”

Dave Boling of The News Tribune talks with Seattle center Max Unger, who’s dealing with a dislocated middle finger on his snapping hand, but does not expect the injury to affect his play. Boling: “Unger seems to have brought even more passion to his leadership role. It’s to the point that coach Pete Carroll often calls the offensive line ‘Max’s Guys.’”

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com notes that rookie cornerback Jeremy Lane is making an impact on special teams as a gunner.

If you don’t click on anything this morning, be sure to check out NFL Turning Point, a video look at the unique relationship between tailback Marshawn Lynch and fullback Michael Robinson. Check out the video link here.

Larry Stone of the Seattle Times writes the Rex Ryan and the Jets circus is coming to town.

ESPN’s John Clayton includes Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas on his midseason all-pro team.

Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports includes Seattle defensive tackle Brandon Mebane on his all-midseason team. Cole: “In a very active, explosive defense, Mebane stirs the drinks. Mebane has surpassed Vince Wilfork as the toughest defensive tackle in the league to move. The 6-foot-1, 311-pound Mebane simply creates havoc inside with his low-to-the-ground ability to play with great leverage and power. Mebane has pretty good pass-rush skills (three sacks) for an inside player, but his real strength is being able to clear the way for his teammates.”

ESPN’s Mike Sando compares Mark Sanchez’s rookie season to Russell Wilson’s performance this year, and finds that Wilson is ahead of the curve.

Mike Silver of Yahoo Sports predicts the Seahawks will make the playoffs.

Pete Prisco of CB Sports also puts Richard Sherman on his midseason all-pro team.

Don Banks of Sports Illustrated ranks Seattle No. 12 in his NFL power rankings this week. Banks: “If the Seahawks can run the table at home this season, where they’re 4-0 so far, they’ll make the playoffs as a wild card. I like their chances, with only one home game remaining against a team that currently has a winning record (Week 16 versus San Francisco). And that late-season showdown with the 49ers might wind up being more important to Seattle in the standings than it is to San Francisco.”

Brian Burke, writing for The New York Times Fifth Down Blog, gives Seattle a 71 percent win chance against the Jets.

Mike Vorkunov of the New Jersey Star-Ledger talks to Tim Tebow, who says the Wildcat offense hasn’t been as effective as he would’ve liked so far this season.

Morning links
  1. Ewalters7354 says:

Brandon Mebane the toughest d tackle to move? I don’t know about that one.He’s been getting blowed off the line the past few games.

Thank you for passing that Turning Point piece along. Awesome! When they talked about their footwork being identical, and how they work on it every day, they showed that clip of their feet… I got goosebumps. Literally. That just pumped me up, for some reason. Loved that.

Regarding Washington, it doesn’t appear to me that he’s lost a step or any quickness, but he does seem to be second guessing himself a bit on returns. I’ve never seen him reverse field as much as I have this season. I’m not sure to chalk that up to a lack of confidence in himself or whether holes will be there when he gets on the blocks. And while he may have not had a TD last year he was one of the best return men in the game, despite the ridiculous new rules. This year however, whatever the reason, no question his production is down. I too would love to see a house call this Sunday.

I would say he got moved last week with surprising ease, but that’s the first time I’ve seen that this season. The 49ers with all their traps really didn’t move him down the line but rather sealed his lanes and boxed him up. At least from what I saw.

4. dirtbiker_joey says:

That Turning Point piece was great. Lynch is hilarious; that dude cracks me up.

5. Mebane has disappeared the last three weeks, after being such a beast in the early going, especially against NE. My bet is the calf injury that has bothered him off and on his whole career is flaring up, and while not costing him game time, has reduced his explosiveness and is hampering him.

Add to that Jones being out, and Scruggs getting hurt, and its now all on him. He’s a fine DT, and until his disappearance he was looking like an ALl-Pro at DT for sure. Hope the guy gets back to that level soon!

6. MoSeahawk12 says:

Peter King talks highly about John, Irvin and Wilson after he talks about the Bills. Mel Kiper’s hair fell out in horror.

7. gonefishin69690 says:

Well, the return game was pretty much destroyed by the NFL 2 years ago.

8. pabuwal says:

Washington has lost quite a bit of straight line speed since his days with the Jets. He is often caught from behind after breaking a return.

Dukeshire- Remember when Washington was going for a long return earlier this year( I forget against who ) then he changed the ball to his other hand trying to get back to the middle of the field to gain more yards. He was then stripped of the ball and lost a fumble.

He just hasn’t run the same since, ( in his usual aggressive way), imo.

Fumble or no fumble, he just needs to be more aggresive. Perhaps his former team will help bring that out.

Even if your opinion is true (which I don’t happen to agree with), it’s had zero effect on his production since coming to Seattle.

11. pabuwal says:

Watch his returns this year – he’s always caught from behind when he breaks one.

I really love what our O-line is becoming! Max is the Ungersung hero of the team this year,imo.

A healthy Carpitt will really solidify this line down the stretch.

Next year, look out!

13. That Turning Point piece was awesome. Love to see the relationship btwn Lynch and Robinson. Funny to think that Robinson was once a QB.

Agree that Leon’s straight-line speed may be down a notch, but kick returning is not just about straight line speed, he’s still turned some games around for us with his skills in finding lanes, and he can still cut through traffic just fine.

14. It`s like listening to Tower of Power (Horn Section) Mike starts of the “solo playing beautifully leading into da Beast solo part that finishes it by putting his licks in…in Sync from the first step…(Turning Point link)……Sweet music to us (12th Man)

Okay, so just this year, not since his days with the Jets. Well, I haven’t seen him break hardly anything to be caught from behind on. But maybe I’m missing all of those.

16. CDHawkFan says:

Can’t remember the reciever, think it was Baldwin who gave up a bit on one of LW returns and was caught from behind, that wasn’t on LW, it was an easy block (missed) and would have resulted in a TD.

Also, I am not sure we would have been in place to win that NE game if not for his 22 yard punt return with under 2 minutes to put us near midfield.

I’ll take my chances with LW for at least another year or two.

17. CDHawkFan says:

83 yard return against the Cardinals, no TD. Also a 52 yard punt return in the same game.

18. Entertaining link from Turning Point.
    They mention the RB coach, Doesn’t Sherm Smith coach them??
    I also heard that LW33 is a big help to the RBs.. Advising them on their diet & how to recover their bodies after game day..

19. In a previous thread I said that RW3 would be on NFL AM today but it’s been changed to friday..

20. Southendzone says:

Turning point video was awesome. I love the quote in the beginning “I do a lot for your dawg”

21. Southendzone says:

oops, correct

“…for YOU, dawg”

22. bird_spit says:

I already had great respect for Mike Rob, but the turning point video solidifies it for me..Mike Rob, all pro FB.

23. If Washington has lost some speed, its no wonder, after breaking his leg and being three-four years older. He’s still plenty fast–and quick–to be what he is; a great kick returner.

Part of the problem is the new/old kick return rules, allowing the kicking team to kick from the 35. (That was always the way it was, until they changed the rules and pushed it back in the Nineties at the behest of TV networks. Ive always hated having them kick from the 35 anyway…I fully expect teams to figure it out in a year or two, and for kick returns for TD’s to slightly increase over the next couple years as Special Teams guys learn to work with the rule.)

Also, Seattle’s Special Teams hasnt exactly been settled. Personnel is constantly changing, and we’ve lost Obomanu and Roy Lewis, two KEY contributors. Blocking is very important to kick returns, no?! It isnt all the guy with the ball in his hands.

Washington is doing fine in my book, and were lucky to have him. Though Im glad Turbin has come along strong, I was gonna barf if I had to watch Washington run for 2 yards a carry as a change of pace to Lynch all year…

24. I meant I hated kicking from the 30…

25. “Though Im glad Turbin has come along strong, I was gonna barf if I had to watch Washington run for 2 yards a carry as a change of pace to Lynch all year…”

Right, good as he is as a return man, LW has done nothing as a RB for us. Can’t move the pile, never became a 3rd down receiver type of back either. At least for us, his running skills weren’t suited for RB work.

26. Skavage says:

If Washington has any area to improve on it is “up field running”. I think he’s had a bit more inclination to run at an angle rather then cutting it straight up the field and splitting the defenders. Part of it is the scheme’s we use to return left or return right, but in the past I’ve always thought Washington ran a bit more with his instinct than he has this year. That said, I think we’ll probably see him break a few nice returns before the year is out. Good returns are streaky things.