Morning links: Hawks Super Bowl bound?

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 8, 2012 at 7:33 am with 26 Comments »
September 8, 2012 7:35 am
Seattle Seahawks' team owner Paul Allen holds up the trophy after his team beat the Carolina Panthers 34-14 to win the NFC championship football game Sunday, Jan. 22, 2006, in Seattle. (AP Photo/John Froschauer)

Could the Seattle Seahawks be headed to a Super Bowl this season? That’s the word from Bill Simmons of Grantland, who picks the Seahawks to finish at 12-4 and represent the NFC against the Baltimore Ravens in this year’s Super Bowl.

The article also includes an interesting depiction of Russell Wilson as the Golden Child. And of course, Simmons has Seattle beating Arizona in his picks this week.

Simmons: Will the Seahawks win 11-12 games? I say yes.

Will they win the NFC West? I say yes.

Will they make the Super Bowl? (Deep breath.) YES! I’m picking a Ravens-Seahawks Super Bowl. And if when it happens, you’ll hear more about Wilson than any other quarterback this season: More than Brady, more than Rodgers, more than Peyton Manning, more than Tim Teb— actually, you won’t hear more about Wilson than Tim Tebow. ESPN and the NFL Network will make that impossible. But everyone else? Hell yeah!”

Here’s my wrap-up story of Friday’s practice. Marshawn Lynch says he feels good.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com writes that returner Leon Washington is setting his sights on getting into the end zone on Sunday. Washington hasn’t scored on a return in 19 games.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times offers some keys to victory for the Seahawks on Sunday.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated believes Russell Wilson is the rookie quarterback most likely to win his team’s season opener.

Doug Farrar of Yahoo Sports profiles Seattle fullback Michael Robinson and his Real Robinson Report.

And here’s the latest Real Robinson Report in the video below.

Brian Baldinger, Sterling Sharpe and Donovan McNabb of the NFL Network break down the Seahawks-Cardinals game in this video link. All three like Seattle in this one.

Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic writes that Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton expects Russell Wilson to get the ball out quicker than Tarvaris Jackson did last season.

More Somers: Arizona running back Beanie Wells was added to the Cardinals’ injury report with a hamstring injury, but says he will play.

Darren Urban of azcardinals.com writes that outside linebacker O’Brien Schofield feels more comfortable in Arizona’s defense. Schofield finished with 4 ½ sacks last year coming off the bench, but now he’s a starter this season.

Don Banks of Sports Illustrated writes that an internal CBA-created three-judge panel on Friday afternoon overturned the suspensions of four players due to the Saints bounty scandal, giving the league and the players an opportunity at a fresh start.

Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports writes that it’s time for Roger Goodell to loosen his grip on the NFL in terms of discipline.

Morning links
  1. FleaFlicker says:

Eric – stop jinxing us! We’re all thinking Super Bowl. But can’t be saying stuff like that out loud. ;-)

2. Houston Texans over the Chicago Bears in Superbowl XLVII.

This is our seasoning and arrival year. Superbowl XLVIII is ours!!!

3. bird_spit says:

I hope everyone, GeorgiaHawk, and all of you mega bloggers just take it one game at a time. The Arizona D will be dialing up a lot of stunts trying to rattle the R QB. Let’s hope the season starts off well.

Super Bowl talk is for the emotional youth. Reality, Arizona has the same expectations for their season, just like the hawks. Russ is the key to Seahawks success. The pressure of delivering a Superbowl is a bit much for the rookie.

Beating Arizona needs to be the only goal.

My expectations are for a 9-7 season, and playoffs. If hawks unseat the SF’9ers for the division, then Russ has to be named rookie of the year.

4. DaddyLove says:

The first rule of Super Bowl: You do NOT talk about Super Bowl.

5. mindnbrad says:

Way, way, way premature to be talking Super Bowl. And way, way premature to be seeing RW that way..and he would be the first one to tell you. Let’s relax and enjoy this year. If we play to potential, and stay healthy, it should be an amazing year. I’m stoked, and counting down!!

6. raymaines says:

PETER KING’S WEEK 1 PREDICTIONS:

5. Rookie QB America. In the early games Sunday, Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III and Brandon Weeden and Ryan Tannehill debut simultaneously, for the Colts, Redskins, Browns and Dolphins, respectively. (How do you watch four games at once, Trent Dilfer?) Then Russell Wilson gets the late-game rookie stage alone, at Arizona. Rookie most likely to win his opener: Wilson, the lowest of the five picks.

I know PK isn’t too highly thought of, but I think hes right on this one. Seattle is a better team than the other four and those guys will be playing against some pretty stout defenses in Chicago, N.O., Phil., and Houston.

7. montanamike2 says:

I think maybe 1 guy may win an AM game, then i think we win too.
    After that i won’t be able to post much because the site will get jammed with hundreds of bloggers all screaming with excitement! I think this season this site explodes if we even win the NFC WEST.
    I think that would would be good for Eric, who i give a shout out to because i saw you on Sportscenter and you were positive about our future.

8. Hammajamma says:

I have always found Simmons work thoughtfully entertaining. His Saints “EFF YOU” parallel with the post spy gate Pats is pretty funny and an interesting take. If nothing else this could expose more Hawk fans to the generally excellent writing found on Grantland.

9. wow that’s insanity

10. FairbanksDoug says:

Paul Allen lifts that trophy like it is very important to him. I would love to see him lift the Super Bowl trophy one time at least.

11. FairbanksDoug says:

I love the Seahawks, and looking at that pic of Paul Allen, a man of documented illneses and yet hoists that trophy high, he hoists that trophy higher then I could, it transcends that he loves them too. It seems much more than a venture in his capital, it’s his love for the northwest and it’s sports. I would like to think I would have such a look about me hoisting any trophy for the northwest. As far as I am concerned, it’s God Bless Paul Allen for even giving us these thoughts of some kind of respectable team in the northwest pro sports scene.

12. Doug, your bar sounds like the place to be on Sundays. I saw Fairbanks breifly back in my USAF days. I owned a small business 10 years ago called Sports Cards & Blues Hdqtrs. It was about 20 minutes away from Cheney where the Seahawks held training camp. In those days the best practice was in the morning so I put up a sign that said “This store will open at 11:30 am on days when the Seahawks practice.” It’s fun to be in control of those kinds of things when it comes to our team.

13. edstang45 says:

hey we are undefeated so far!!

14. I agree with those who say “No jinxes, please.” We’ve got a very hard schedule. If we struggle to 9-7 and miss the playoffs but play well in most of our games, I’ll be happy. (Obviously I’d love a SB trophy, but it’s too stupid to be even making a prediction at this point unless you’re a professional odds maker and someone’s paying you.)

15. The 1st couple of reg season games are always tough to predict until teams have film on each other with all their tricks exposed.

16. FairbanksDoug says:

blueshq, Georgia, and anyone else; I have tried to go and frequent other sports bars but found very little other Seahawk fans to show. I think mostly because the other team fans can be so annoying in the bar. Maybe it was because the Seahawks fans are the only ones that could afford their own home TV systems and they chose to stay there, I don’t know.. But to see another live person in a Seahawk jersey would make my day, I think I would be buying pitchers of beer at that point.

17. edstang45 says:

I am excited about this team, I also think we have a chance to be good very GOOD!!! As a serious Homer I want to believe we are there, but I think we have to prove we can get to the QB in a consistent manner every drive in every game. Maybe not sacks but we have to be in the QB face often enough that they have to account for it every pass situation. I also know we must have big plays on offense, Rice is going have to stay healthy and make the big catches and put a worry on the defense every drive, Edwards needs to be the next one who steps up consistently, they can’t be ignored by the defense, and then our 3 and 4 recievers have to catch the dang ball, and the tightends have to play up to their potential and again have to get open and catch the ball, Our runnung game with our o-line should be very good, and even better if the defense doesn’t just key on the run because they arent afraid of our recievers. But I’m not sold on Rice yet or Edwards and may be short on our passing game. Beating AZ is one thing but then comes Dallas, GB, NewEng, SF, those 4 games if we can get SF and one of the other 3 we could be on our way at 7-3 at the bye, or we could be 4-6 gonna depend on the pass rush and passing game

18. Soggybuc says:

We will know one way or the other come tomorrow! let the games begin!

19. orbeavhawk says:

“UNLEASH the BEAST!”

20. Soggybuc says:

OH! FBDoug, do you have a website? Google only lists a Roundup steak house in Fairbanks. if not no big deal was just wanting to cyberstalk you a little bit.
    You should do a Hawks logo! no matter what your wife thinks. remember married life means you are going to piss her off no matter what you do so pick your poison so to speak.
    Also, I think you should hold a Sunday BBQ themed on the Hawks opponent of the week. example being you could of had a fried Cardinal dinner this week. next week should be ground Cowboy patties (Hamburgers) followed by Packer steaks with a baked cheese head.

21. sluggo42 says:

and release “the Kraaken” (Turbin)

22. orbeavhawk says:

a REAL “Son of a BEAST!”

23. bird_spit says:

Anyone up for a road trip to Fairbanks?

Best road trip you will ever do…

24. Newborough says:

Back in 2010 I wrote my expectations for the PC/JS five year plan for the Hawks and it went like this

2010 : Survive and see what we’ve got, result sub .500
    2011 :

25. Newborough says:

Back in 2010 I wrote my expectations for the PC/JS five year plan for the Hawks (on another blogg) and it went like this

2010 : Start rebuild and see what we’ve got, result sub .500
    2011 : More rebuild and achieve respectability, result around .500
    2012 : First year with new rookie Franchise QB, result Play off contention (At the time I saw us betting-the-farm to get Barkley as he came out in this years draft)
    2013 : QB matures, NFL powerhouse, result deep play-off run
    2014 : Second Superbowl appearance, first win

Two years on, I still think this is a realistic schedule, but I’ll be delighted if the goal of a SB win is achieved even earlier.

GO HAWKS !

(Sorry for the premature post earlier)