Morning links: Martin gets chance, runs with it

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:32 am with 42 Comments »
September 4, 2012 8:32 am
Oakland Raiders defensive back Bryan McCann defends a pass intended for Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Charly Martin in the second half of a preseason NFL football game Thursday, Aug. 30, 2012 in Seattle. (AP Photo/Stephen Brashear)

Dave Boling of The News Tribune profiles receiver Charly Martin, who made the most of his opportunities during training camp and made the roster as one of the last receivers on the team.

A native of Walla Walla who competed at the NCAA Division II level (West Texas A&M), Martin signing first with San Diego and then played with Carolina most of the past two years, making one catch for 6 yards. He was waived by the Panthers last September and signed briefly to Jacksonville’s practice squad last December.

“He did the right thing and was always in the right place,” Seattle receivers coach Kippy Brown said. “Not only on offense, but on special teams, too. When he had the occasion to make a play, he made it. He stayed healthy, which was big, and he just never did anything to hurt himself. You could say he took advantage of his opportunities.”

Tom Cable has this to say about James Carpenter moving to guard: “The first thing we need to do is kind of get him back in the offense,” Cable said. “Get his brain back into doing it – the communication and understanding (of) what’s being asked of him. And then we’ll kind of solve that as we go.”

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times writes that Kellen Winslow’s release still is a head scratcher.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com writes the J.R. Sweezy continues to work at right guard with the first unit in this practice report.

ProFootballTalk.com has the Seahawks ranked No. 16 in their power rankings.

Derek Stephens of ScoutTheSeahawks.com writes that Seattle releasing Kellen Winslow Jr. in favor of Evan Moore wasn’t a shock based on Winslow’s “situational value” – a player who will only contribute in the passing game and will not play special teams.

KJR’s Mitch Levy and Hugh Millen discuss the Seahawks cutting Winslow in this audio link.

Matt Bowen of the National Football Post offers ten things to look for with the opening of the regular season tomorrow. He wonders if Russell Wilson is ready for prime time.

Pete Pricso of CBS Sports puts the Seahawks at No. 20 in his power rankings.

Pat Kirwan of CBS Sports says you’ll see more no huddle and less blitzing in the league this year.

Brian Billick of Fox Sports places the Seahawks at No. 24 in his power rankings.

Morning links
  1. sluggo42 says:

I guess we could see the chemistry with Dane-Ja right away, so this is cool. Another spike in Tates knee…

Now I know Billick is on heavy meds, putting the Eagles at #1 on his power poll, and the Seahawks at #24.

3. sluggo42 says:

ya, that is about as stupid as it gets, but, it will just make him look as stupid as he is as the season unfolds

Good article by Derek Stephens. And glad we didn’t have to fork out the 7th round pick. Now I think we have two or three extra picks next year so far.

I wonder if we will get a compensation pick for Hawthorne?

5. Soggybuc says:

Baffle’s me how that man ever one a Superbowl! Martin is a great story and should be a very solid player for us. typifies what they talk about with the 3 years to find out what a guy can give you.

6. jawpeace says:

“One person, Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc., picks Seattle to win the NFC West among ESPN’s panel of experts.”

Dude he was the only person who had Seattle going to the playoffs. All the other “experts”(I use that term loosely) did not even have the Hawks as a wild card team.

I know the Hawks have a tough schedule especially early in the season. But with our superb D, strong running game and smart QB, I see us in the playoffs.

7. montanamike2 says:

Ha HA that motivates a team with a chip already on their shoulders.

Danny O’Neil needs to read Derek Stephens article if he really wants to make sense about the Winslow situation.

Do your home work next time Danny. Lol.

I know this isn’t really football related but he sure did look like a football player to me.

Michael clarke Duncan just passed away.

10. Impressed by the Derek Stephens article. Who is he, where’s he from, and where’s he been all this time?

11. OK, here’s a question I’ve had for some time that comes to mind once again with the Winslow/Moore roster moves: what’s the point of having a tight end that can’t effectively be positioned on the line and block? Sounds like Moore almost never plays on the line from what I’ve read. If Miller or McCoy goes down due to injury, Moore won’t be able to fill in, so why not just call him a wide receiver, since that’s what he functionally is?

Gusset- I agree, Moore is just basically a big WR that can create miss matches with linebackers and in the red zone. He seems to have good hands and a knack for getting open down field.

Gusset – Yes, creating mismatches with LBs and nickel corners is what make athletic TEs so valuable in today’s game. It’s really a response (and has evolved to much more) to the success Cover-2 has had in the league, the past decade. I’m not going to pretend know a lot about Moore, but even so-called “receiving” TEs are required to block in-line. That includes Graham in NO and Gronk in NE. So, if the worst happens and Seattle looses Miller and McCoy, he’ll be able to fill in as an in-line protector (unless he’s a complete dud). Remember, unless we’re looking at a fire-blitz or some such, he’ll be asked to do little more than chip a DE or Sam ‘backer. The way offenses are incorporating spread concepts, the traditional blocking TE who only occationally releases into the flat or underneath, has become less important than in years past.

14. ruminator1 says:

Moore definitely not known as an effective blocker. Tall, but relatively thin, good leaping ability, praised sometimes for ability to make spectacular catches but also.by some, for dropping passes. no help on special teams, good avg. yds per catch. i did pick him as a sub o0n my FF team.

can someone tell me: has Eric started this year’s pick em contest yet?
    if so, under what name?

“It doesn’t surprise me. If you’ve spent any time with him you know how driven he is. And committed he is. And how much he wants to make himself better. He’s done that each and every day he’s been out here. He’s basically slept in the building to make himself learn the offense. He’s just done a great job.” – offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell on rookie quarterback Russell Wilson making his first regular-season start on Sunday.

16. Really, We cut KW and replace him with a TE that can’t make the Browns team? NFL network says that Tate will miss the first 2 weeks of the season.. What happens if DB isn’t ready? Little concerned now..

Georgia’s love affair with Wilson is the antithesis of Bobby’s hatred toward T Jackson. Both are equally annoying. (Sorry fellas…)

Who is DB?

19. yakimahawk says:

I know a lot of people are blowing up over Winslow’s release, but if he is so good why hasn’t anyone picked him up so far @ that 3M dollar price tag?

20. Probably baldwin. From all i have heard, dougie is ready to go. Lets hope so

Oh, Doug Baldwin. They don’t play the same receiver position and with Edwards ready to go it shouldn’t be an issue.

22. yakimahawk says:

Who is DB?

Doug Baldwin

23. seahawk44 says:

Billick is so ignorant he even has the Chiefs at #11. I really could care less about power rankings, though, and actually prefer the Seahawks to keep flying under the radar. If the team can go 4-4 in the 1st half of season, they will still be under the radar, & the schedule looks good for a 6-2 or 7-1 2nd half of season. I’ll be happy with that scenario, but if the team comes out firing and gets some surprising wins that gets them at a 6-2 or 7-1 1st half season then they will not be flying under the national media radar. But……that is a scenario I would definitely be happy with too!

Dukeshire- It’s to bad that you choose only to focus on my posts about Wilson, ( if you take the time you would see that I post about many other topics ) and try making it sound like that’s all I ever talk about.
    Your obsession with that is disturbing to say the least. Lol.

Seems like you tolerated the TJack trashing much more than the positive Wilson posting.

If you are sick of hearing about Wilson now, you are going to be in for a long miserable ride, so lighten up and be happy. This is not the no fun blog.

25. If the ground game is effective our play action will be effective. If our play action is effective we won’t need a KW-type TE. However…and it’s a big however…KW and RW seemed to have a pretty good chemistry, I’d hate to lose that in those blitz situations when everyone needs to be on the same page.

26. Macabrevity says:

Like they said on NFL network, anyone wanting to get on the RW bandwagon now better get in line. Hard not to love this guy at the moment…

I myself am a little slow to fall in line, but if/when he hits the rookie or even sophomore wall, I’ll be slow to fall out.

I think overall our QB situation is sooo much better than it’s been under this regime, so I’m willing to uncork the champagne early by all means.

And as for the thread topic – go Charly go!!! Guy is everything we haven’t gotten from all those high priced FA WR’s we’ve brought in this decade. Good routes, good hands… somehow that keeps getting overlooked. Martin and Baldwin are the kind of receivers I’ve always preferred. They won’t blow you away athletically or physically, they just play the position as it was meant to be played. S.L. would be proud.

((waiting for a “who’s S.L.”))

27. chuck_easton says:

If anybody on this board asks “who’s S.L.?” they will be asked to immediately hand in their 12th man card.

How can anybody not know the guy that was ‘too small, too slow…oh wait…he’s in the HOF.’

28. Hmm, that was a good, well-reasoned article by Derek Stephens – - still don’t know that I’m convinced it was a smart move to release a guy who by all accounts I’ve now read was the best receiving TE we had in camp (both in terms of ability to get open and hands). I just want RW to have options to throw to – and yeah, I’ll be happily surprised if Moore ends up being close to an equivalent as a receiver (as a fan, I don’t care about the salary comparison vs. Winslow since our team is not over the cap), but getting cut from what is likely to be a contender for worst team in the league this year is a bad sign. No way around that.

29. Seriously Duke? You’re putting the Love of Wilson on par with BK’s rants. Seriously?

This coming from a guy that said something along the lines of “I hope he bombs or knocks it out of the park” (I’m not going back to quote you verbatim, but you know the quote I’m talking about in reference to Wilson getting the 3rd preseason game start despite you not agreeing that PC should be doing it this way, instead it should’ve been the 2nd game).

Get over it. You were off on your prediction and now your chastising Georgia as if it’s your blog…for being positive.

Gimme a break.

Do we have bloggers that are redundant (completely rhetoric, of course I’m one of them), but to criticize being positive is small.

Do you remember beyond all the Tjack hatred…the Curry hatred, the Ruskell hatred, Brian Russell, Hutch being let go, Hass not resigned, not drafting Carimini, not drafting decastro, blah, blah, blah.

And the professed love for Wilson in these 3 short weeks is too much for you?

Puh-leaze.

Sincerely,

The Righteous Mofo who ain’t afraid of holding your a** or any other accountable on this blog!

Go R Dub and GO HAWKS!

30. ruminator1 says:

i will ask for a 3rd time–has Eric set up a pickem contest this year and if so can someone direct me to the site and name?

31. Glad to hear about Carpenter practicing again. It will be weeks before it matters, but O line depth is something we haven’t had in many years.

Wondering if Eric will fill us in on who is practicing with first team offense this week – Sweezy or Moffitt?

Happy to hear Braylon Edwards is practicing with the first team at split end. I hope he starts there on Sunday and makes a nice comeback this year.

Joreb – Do you know the meaning of the word antithesis? Moreover, my comment has nothing at all to do with Wilson.

33. montanamike2 says:

I tolerate all the bashing and the loving as long as it’s pro seahawk.
    Even when someones correct or incorrect on a prediction it’s ok as long as they’re not trolling. I can’t believe it’s one day away from a real game! How many months have we been waiting?

34. sluggo42 says:

I have figured out to become one of the “regulars” in here now…
    First off,
    1)start posting about any topic that crosses your mind, regardless of the thread topic.
    2)start throwing insults at the other “regulars”
    3)question spelling and word definitions
    4)pick a pet peeve and bring it up 27 times a day
    5) Be a Hawk fan and bleed neon green.

Well, I have #5 going, but give me time, I will work on the rest my biotches…

WAR HAWKS

35. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

ESPN reported that a Seahawks team source said Lynch may not play on Sunday due to back spasms. It’s too early to panic, but damn; what is it with Seattle and RB’s?

Georgia – Of course thats not all I focus on. You and I have discussed many other topics. Good lord… What’s crazy here is that any comment that can be interpreted as negstive or a criticism of either Wilson or thise professing their admiration of him, is met with a wildly unreasonable overreaction. All I noted was that you are as jacked up for Wilson as Bobby was down on Jackson. I find them each a bit annoying. So what?

Yes, I am currently on an iPhone, appologies for the grammer / spelling.

38. SandpointHawk says:

@sluggo42…just so you know a lot of us dislike the neon green,but the gray wolf looks to be a hit….

39. sluggo42 says:

ok, then you must bleed grey wolf blood then,,,…

40. mocarob says:

Yes, DB = Doug Baldwin.
    I know DB & Tate don’t play the same position.
    I was just commenting on the health of our weapons in general.

41. mocarob says:

Count me in on the minority. I don’t like the wolf grey.
    Fugly.