Morning links: 5 keys for Hawks vs. Titans

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:37 am with 46 Comments »
August 11, 2012 9:38 am
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Flynn (15) passes, as Russell Wilson (3) waits for his turn next at right, Tuesday, Aug. 7, 2012, during NFL football training camp, in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Good morning. I’ll be heading over to CenturyLink about 5 p.m., and we’ll have our live chat going this evening, so check back in closer to game time.

Here are five things to look for as the Seattle Seahawks host Tennessee in the team’s first exhibition game.

Flynnsanity: Matt Flynn has been given a chance to seize control of the three-way quarterback competition between incumbent Tarvaris Jackson and rookie Russell Wilson. Flynn will play the entire first half, so he should feel comfortable enough to know that he’ll have time to show what he can do, even if the first couple drives stall. More than anything, I’m looking for overall command of the huddle, throwing accuracy and moving the sticks. A couple, 10-play scoring drives would go a long way for Flynn cementing his place on this team as the starter.

Bruuuucceeeee! The Seahawks finally get a chance to see the speed and athleticism of first round pick Bruce Irvin in a game. Along with getting in as an edge rusher on passing downs, the West Virginia product should see a lot of time on the field in base personnel as well. A couple flash plays by Irvin would be nice to kind of set the tone for the season.

Turbo time: Seattle head coach Pete Carroll said Marshawn Lynch likely will not play tonight. And with Lynch facing a possible suspension from the league because of his recent DUI charge, it’s important for rookie running back Robert Turbin to get a lot of reps and feel comfortable in the offense. I’ll be looking to see how well he anticipates where the hole is going to be, and how hard and fast he explodes through the line of scrimmage to the second level of the defense. How well Turbin holds up in pass protection also will be an issue.

WR battles: With Sidney Rice, Doug Baldwin, Ricardo Lockette and Terrell Owens all sitting out tonight, players like Braylon Edwards, Golden Tate, Ben Obomanu, Deon Butler and Kris Durham will get an opportunity to show what they can do in the competitive battle to earn a spot at receiver on the team’s final roster. Making a big play against Tennessee could go a long way to cementing a spot on the team.

Can Wagner hold down the middle? Seattle fullback Michael Robinson created quite a stir when he referred to rookie middle linebacker Bobby Wagner as a “baby Patrick Willis.” That’s high praise for someone who has never played a regular season snap in the league. And while Wagner has comparable speed to the San Francisco Pro Bowl linebacker, what Seattle needs to see from the Utah State product is an overall command of the huddle, along with being assignment correct while he’s on the field. If Wagner does not perform up to his potential, then veteran Barrett Ruud will be ready to step in and fill the void left by David Hawthorne moving on to New Orleans because of his experience in the scheme.

Here’s my preview of tonight’s game.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com writes about Clinton McDonald, who will play nose tackle during nickel situations for the Seahawks.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times writes that Matt Flynn relishes his opportunity to start for the first time as Seattle Seahawk.

ESPN 710 Seattle’s Brock Huard says Seattle’s receivers have a chance to separate themselves tonight in this video link.

More Huard: He talks with Seattle defensive coordinator Gus Bradley in this audio link.

KJR’s Dave Mahler talks with Seattle linebacker Barrett Ruud in this audio link.

Pat Kirwan of CBS Sports offers his five questions on the Seahawks after attending training camp this week. Kirwan offers some interesting observations on the quarterback situation, and also some players going under the radar like tight end Sean McGrath, running back Vai Taua and safety Winston Guy.

Morning links
  1. Those are all good keys to watch for! Can’t wait. Tonight’s first half should include a huge sampling of Flynn to Tate pass routes. Golden is one of the few starters ready to go and should be the leading receiver in the first half.

My big concern at this point is injuries. Knock wood. In the past, at this point in training camp, players have been in full pads, full contact practices, and some two-a-days. This year, just shorts and shoulder pads and no one had hit or been hit yet. No one has been tested with hits yet and they are about to line up against an opponent. I’m all for saving players’ bodies for the long season, but this is going too far. I hope we don’t see more injuries because of it.

2. chuck_easton says:

Ok this is going to sound a little off topic. But I will add a number 6.

I am looking forward to seing how the new uniforms look when 90 or so men are wearing them. I’ll be watching on HD TV but I’d live to hear how they are recieved live and by the national audience.

3. ugh, the new uniforms. I hope they look better tonight on the team than the jerseys look hanging the rack. I still don’t understand why they have little tulips all over them. I miss the old uni’s already. Tons of fans at the VMAC are already wearing ’29′, so I guess people like em.

I saw Robinson call Wagner baby Patrick Willis. Wow, and let’s hope so. If he could become a 3 down LB, that would be great. He and Wright could each just shift to their right, in nickel. In due time, however.

Regarding Turbin, I too will be anxious to see how he blocks in pass pro. That is something he was not asked to do at Utah St, and despite his good hands, he’ll have to develop that part of his game to be more than simply a rest for Lynch.

Is it game time yet… lol

Tulips, lol. The look like whale tails, to me.

6. NYHawkFan says:

The Seahawk rooting section here in New York City will be watching, starting at 10:00 pm. Any other NYC Hawk fans out there?

7. Hammajamma says:

Like to see them go blue on white tonight. For those who root for the uni, this unveiling brings some added excitement.

Indifferent about Nike, but I can get behind being a trendsetter in a world that still clings to traditions like Cleveland.

8. Palerydr says:

Programming note. Not sure if this works unless you have a DVR with cable. To anyone who doesn’t already know this you can watch any play in super super slow mo. all you have to do is rewind then push play, then the pause button. Continue to hit the pause button it advances at probably a quarter second at a time. I use it to watch line play of all the guys since in real time you can only really watch 1-2 players.

9. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

can not wait to see how the front seven looks on D.

10. The O line,What’s going on with them?Honey due time is almost done!

11. princeaden says:

Every year fan bases in NY(Giants), New England, Pittsburgh, Indy until recently have known their teams would most likely go to the Playoff and have a decent chance to go deep. I say they are a bit spoiled and I’m a bit jealous of that. I’m always jacked on this day every year. But, the anticipation and excitement that I have for this team, this season is awesome. I’m not saying I wouldn’t enjoy some of that being spoiled, I just have to believe this feeling is better. Hell, I don’t know what I’m saying. I’m just excited.

12. Seahawks2620 says:

I have noticed during practice, that their jerseys do in fact have the Seahawks logo right above the swoosh. Did they make an alteration that will now implement them on the game day jersey as well? Maybe I am really late on this topic.

13. raymaines says:

I wrote this on an earlier link before this story was posted, so I’m putting it up again.

Injuries aren’t on the list because that’s just too obvious.

Things I want to see:

1) Good O-Line play
    2) The Linebackers
    3) Two good QB’s
    4) Receivers that can catch, and
    5) A decent pass rush

Things I don’t want to see:

1) Give up big plays on defense
    2) Receivers who appear lost
    3) #8 shredding the defense
    4) Stupid penalties , and
    5) Sloppy Special Teams play

14. princeaden says:

Kind of curious why we didn’t have Cedric Benson in for a look considering Lynch’s possible suspension..

15. DreadHawks says:

12th Man Flag is out and flapping in the breeze, it must mean football is here. Ooooops I meant to say, Seahawk football season is here! Go Hawks!!

Is Hass gonna survive with Bruuuuuuce on a blindside rush??

2620 – The logo is only on the practice jerseys. For some reason they omitted them on game jerseys.

I’d be amazed if the league ruled on Lynch before the season. Especially considering his not-guilty plea.

17. princeaden, I’ve heard there is virtually no chance of a Lynch suspension before 2013. Thank the slow legal system.

18. princeaden says:

Thanks Stevos and Duke. I suppose in light of the Johnathon Vilma/Saints debacle Goodell will be a bit more deliberate as well.

19. Seahawks2620 says:

Dukeshire- That blows.

Yes it does.

21. NWPoseidon says:

I want to see the attitude of the team. I want to see them hungry and edgy and motivated. Most of these guys are still competing for starting sports or to even make the team and I want to see them act like this is a real game and not just a pre-season game. Lets see the fire! Win forever.

22. Flynnsanity!

23. WiscCory says:

Preseason games should be general admission, $10 per entry.

24. Flynnsanity! Hey who made that up?

25. It has only been a few weeks but I want to see them play as a team – we all know that they are going to play some bland off/defense so lets just hope they play well as a group.

I want a smart group that plays fast and as a team

26. I can’t wait to see Flynn, Wilson, and especially the new uni’s in action!!

27. I am not quite sure why I am so jacked, but I am… ok, I know why. The reason I am so jacked is because I am a Seahawks fan and my team starts playing games today. That’s obvious, but preseason games are exciting for a lot of reasons.

Does it count in the W/L record? No. Does it count for team chemistry and player development? Absolutely. Also, today is very nerve wracking because it’s our first glimpse at a completely revamped offense. Flynn alone changes the entire offense (IF HE PLAYS WELL). Add to that some new, more dynamic possibilities at the split end and TE position and we could really compete and keep drives alive. It starts today, so I’m jacked – and I don’t care if counts if the W/L counts or not.

28. Tarvaris Jackson: the bridge to Matt Flynn.
    Matt Flynn: the bridge to Russell Wilson?

29. SandpointHawk says:

Here we go Baby, here we go….

30. Leroy HIll says this is the best defense he’s ever played on.

Richard Sherman interviewed on ESPN yesterday:
    “Leroy says this because of how well we play together. You could see it last year near the end of the year. We have a good feel for one another, where each other are going to be, everybody plays disciplined ball. And we have people who just stay hungry no matter what, they don’t read the headlines, they don’t listen to any of the outside noise. They just keep their heads on straight and go hard.”

Difference between last year and this year?
    Sherman: “I’m a more confident and understanding player. I understand the offenses better. Most of the time now I could just stand in the spot where the play is going. At the beginning of the play, for the most part, I know which routes are coming, I know which combinations are coming. I know that this formation means that these route combinations are possible.”

“Last year was a little bit more of a panic. Coming out of the lockout, we all assumed the rookies were going to get cut. But we were able to stick and get our chance.”

31. Sherman will emerge as a lockdown corner for us this year. Thomas’ range allows him to press and gamble a bit more. I love his fierce attitude bordering on downright ornery. A few times last year, however, I thought he would pull a boneheaded play aka ” a Hamlin” and get a 15 yarder but he got away with a few after the whistle cheap shots. He needs to pick his spots and play just a little bit smarter, with more controlled aggression this year.

32. I’m calling it right now – 17 sacks for BROOOOOOS! this year. And he might get a hat trick in the first game against the ‘Tards, their O line is pathetic. Anyone interested in some more unsolicited predictions? I am buzzin on pete’s Kool Aid! Game On boys!

I’d be ecstatic with half that total, in his rookie year.

34. I’m going with 5.5 for Red Bryant this year.

35. I just get the feeling most team’s right tackles will not be able to handle his speed, and now all of the sudden we have a Derrick Thomas type situation going on here. They can’t double CC and Irvin.

If Bryant can more than double his career number of sacks in year 5, no one will be happier than I, as unlikely as it is to happen. But this defense would be an absolute monster should he improve his pas rush that much.

37. He finds something to get better at every year.

38. BB Pick six take it to the house at Clink! Yeah baby that’s what I’m talking about.

39. Why r they still showing this ridonculous texans panthers game?

40. As Rodney Dangerfield once said, no respect. We gets no respect.

41. I like the way the new jerseys look, very slimming indeed. The players’ numbers “pop” much more than I thought they would. I ordered my lynch jersey months ago and it still hasn’t come yet doggone it.

42. Dammit! Get it together NFL network! You amateurs…

43. I have cox cable in Phoenix and NFL network just went off the air. WTF. Do they know how long I’ve been looking forward to watching this game? Did anyone else lose their reception too? Idiots, wth.

44. They just ruined my weekend. Just like that. I can just picture the NFL network satellite feed is coming from some dude wearing a rabbit ear antenna hat wrapped in tin foil. As if being a Seattle sports fan isn’t bad enough…they would never do this to the Yankees or Cowboys.

45. Back to action, please disregard the past 2 posts, my Tourette’s is acting up again.

46. geanderson2001 says:

Jeeez, that Wilson is a good looking kid. What a great fake & bootleg into the end zone! Go Hawks!