Morning links: Forsett to visit Texans

Post by Eric Williams on May 26, 2012 at 7:14 am with 69 Comments »
May 26, 2012 7:14 am
Justin Forsett against Tampa Bay (The News Tribune file photo)

According to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com, former Seattle Seahawks running back Justin Forsett will visit the Houston Texans this week.

Seattle appears to have moved on from the 26-year-old, drafting Utah State product Robert Turbin in the fourth round, along with signing Tyrell Sutton and Kregg Lumpkin in free agency.

Joining the Texans would be a homecoming of sorts for Forsett, who went to high school in Arlington, Texas.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com profiles Seattle fourth-round draft choice Jaye Howard.

Clifton Brown of the Sporting News ranks Seattle head coach Pete Carroll 22nd overall on a list of the top coaches in the league. Not that these lists are worth much, but I think the ranking is too low. Brown has Ron Rivera, Mike Smith, Romeo Crennel and Mike Munchak ahead of Carroll – none of which have won an NFL playoff game.

Carroll talks with NFL’s Total Access about the quarterback competition in this video link.

Jesse Temple of Fox Sports Wisconsin details the uphill battle Russell Wilson has to try and make it as 5-11 quarterback in the NFL. Some interesting comments from 6-foot quarterbacks Ty Detmer and Joe Theismann.

Morning links

Good. I hope Forsett lands somewhere soon.

2. Hammajamma says:

Meaningless coaches rankings from a SN hack. Who cares?

3. pabuwal says:

Good article from Jesse Temple and the article makes a good point – If Russell Wilson can’t succeed, than what under 6′ QB will ever be able to succeed in the Modern NFL?

4. Ewalters7354 says:

How in the world do they have bum coaches ahead of PC?? I love it because when the Hawks whip ass this year he’s gonna slide into a top 7.Smh..people just do this team any kind of way.

5. jawpeace says:

I am surprised that Forsett has not landed any where yet. Wasn’t it just two years ago that he was at the top of the league in YAC? (yards after contact) I really hope he lands somewhere as he does have skills to offer some team and he is an outstanding character guy.
    Also could it be why Lynch is so grumpy on the Real Robertson Report as he was best friends with Justin.

6. Macabrevity says:

Honestly right now, there’s not a coach I’d rather have in Seattle. I really believe the single factor keeping PC out of the elite coach talk right now is he’s been doing it more or less without the QB you need to really win in the NFL. Give PC a Pro Bowl contender at QB and people will be talking about him in a different light.

Let’s hope it’s Flynn or RW. If not, PC’s run in Seattle could end in ignominy. A franchise QB is tough to find, and ultimately will be what this FO is judged by if they fail to find one.

7. HeinieHunter says:

Watch how many talking heads jump on the PCJS bandwagon when the Hawks start winning. I don’t know how many wins we will have this year BUT this team is totally loaded with big upside talent. People will be talking about the team speed the Hawks have before the season is over.
    I also believe the injuries the Niners avoided last year will catch up with them this year.

8. tchristensen says:

Can Hawks trade Clemons to New York for Osi? Appears Clemons is trying to make a point by not attending OTAs.

jawpeace- I was thinking the same thing as to why Lynch was so grumpy.

Perhaps it wouldn’t be so bad to sign Forsett, just to keep Lynch happy. We wouldn’t have to play him much.

Pete Carroll at 22? He only beat the #1, #5, #8, #9, and the #14 in his second year of rebuilding a team from the scrap heap!

So if he helps our team win a Super Bowl this year I’m sure they will move him up to #15! Lol!

11. Hawks85 says:

I really like Forsett and it’s a shame Washington is such a explosive kick returner leaving Forsett without a spot on the team. I Can’t really blame PC after the Cleveland game when Lynch was a late scratch and, we basically got nothing from the running game. I wonder how much Forsett helped Lynch acclimate to the great northwest, and really into buying into PC a coach he admitted hating? I could see the locker room taking a slight hit if it wasn’t for PC charisma.

I totally agree with that post. And Forsett was one of my favorite players too, but as you point out, he and Leon provide redundancy at RB with Leon having the advantage of being one of the best returners in the league.

13. wabubba67 says:

Lynch has been around the block…he understands that the NFL is a business. They can be friends in the off season and when their careers are over. Would not want to waste a roster spot on Forsett, as it would mean cutting a younger player (possibly not even at the RB position) that has a higher talent ceiling.

14. Psychman says:

I will miss Forsett, he was the best receiver out of the backfield the last 2 years. I hope he goes to Houston and dominates, except of course whenever he plays Seattle. I will miss him but understand why he was let go.

15. montanamike2 says:

I’ve been saying that it would mess our team chemistry up if we let Forsett go, he brought us Lynch almost single handedly, and he’s kept him on the right path all along. I think it could hit us with the same equivalant as losing Hutch did. If it means that much to our foundation then find a spot for him and sign him to a one year contract, you never know, he could surprise us and we’d have another specialist to plug in if Washington goes down. Just my 2 cents.

16. wabubba67 says:

Forsett=Hutch??? I like weed too, apparently not as much as others.

Forsett was an overachieving, change of pace backup RB that was not even in Maurice Morris’ class. He should be proud of his career in Seattle (and we should be proud of him), but to get sentimental about a tiny, backup RB at the expense of younger, more explosive talent is crazy. As for Forsett bring us Lynch “single handedly, I would bet that’s news to JS/PS…who were the ones that actually traded for Lynch.

The way that Turbin catches the ball out of the backfield will make everyone forget all about Lynch soon enough.

17. montanamike2 says:

I was only comparing Hutch to Lynch and the fallout that could ensue should he stray from the path he’s on. I don’t want an unhappy beastmode and was saying that we should find a spot just to keep Lynch happy. Turbin will be our hulk no doubt but we can let go of Rudd and still keep the chemistry.

18. VNHLNFAN says:

Turbin is going to explode!

19. chuck_easton says:

Lynch just signed his big multi year contract. He did that when he knew his friend Forsett wasn’t likely coming back.

Not a problem. Loved the little guy and I hope he lands somewhere but we don’t need two guys that have the same build and do the same things. Washington is just better at it than Forsett.

20. Macabrevity says:

Yeah, have to agree here. Losing Forsett doesn’t hurt this team too much. Any NFL player who doesn’t understand it’s a business and it’s their job to work for their employer needs to move back home and live with mom. Lynch will be fine. I’m looking forward to seeing him get a few handoffs and actually have a second or two before the D-line is draping all over him.

21. montanamike2 says:

If Lynch is going to be OK then we don’t need a glorified babysitter,
    we do have the makings of the best Hawks team assembled so far.

Would Carroll take a chance on Brian Banks? He was going to USC before all this happened.

And Chuck, can the woman that lied about this be prosecuted?

23. Seahawks2620 says:

I don’t want to be too down on Clemons, you never know what could potentially be happening in his personal life. However, the guy needs to get it in gear. It is starting too look more and more like he is holding out, which is down right crap. The man is 31, not 21 and this is the organization that gave him the opportunity to be an every down man. I would be very livid to hear that he is using his leverage with the team, knowing that Irvin is not ready to start at the LEO position, to get himself along term contract. Come on Clemons, step up.

24. Jusjamn says:

Lynch is a heckuva running back but the new NFL has proven that it takes a really good OL as well to run the rock. IF and that’s a big IF he’s upset about Forsett, he might want to think about getting over it real quick. PC won’t put up with that sort of shennanigans! Same goes for Clemons IF he’s got an issue.

Mental note (find dictionary and look up Houshmanzada).

Has it occurred to anyone here that Lynch may not have been in a bad mood at all? Or that whatever his “mood”, had not one thing to do with Seattle passing on Forsett. Goodness people…

Yes Dukeshire, Lynch could very well be in a different mood, and it may have nothing to do with Seattle passing on Forsett.

Not betting on it though! Not after reading this artcle again.

I just don’t think that Washington is more valuable to this team as a running back, and his kick returning skills are much less effective because of the rule changes last year.

Forsett has had nothing but crap to run behind since he’s been a seahawk! And now he doesn’t get to even compete for a job here.

I’m not for, or against either one, however I think it’s pretty safe to say that Lynch is not just in a bad mood over this, he is more likely to be P.O.ed!

That would be a natural response for not getting to play with a very close friend and good leader anymore.

Hopefully his contract and/or this won’t effect his play much moving forward.

27. The NFL is a tough gig for any smaller guy trying to make a living at RB or LB. Average career length is less than the 5 years Forsett has already had. If he gets to continue his career in 2012 that’s a huge accomplishment for a 5’8″ guy. Hats off to the little Big Man.

Washington ranked among league’s best returners last year, again. Including returns over 30 yards.

As for Lynch being upset, it’s seems like such wild speculation that at one particular moment, it’s the not surprising at all move of Seattle, not re-signing Forsett, that was on his mind. I’m sure he’s generally disappointed. Who wouldn’t be if their closest friend had to relocate. But it seems people here are reading *way* too much into it.

29. People are trying to interpret Marshawn Lynch’s moods. LOL! That’s hilarious. Face it, the dude is incomprehensible. Sure he’ll miss his boy Justin, but Marshawn has come a long way and faced much bigger challenges in his life. Pete Carroll and Tom Cable gave Marshawn a new chance at a new career and he is thankful for it. I would bet Marshawn will be laser-focused this year.

30. chuck_easton says:

Marshawn just needs to go grill shopping. That cures everything.

31. SandpointHawk says:

Does someone have reason to believe Marshawn is really upset besides when he was goofing for the camera in the real rob report? Haven’t you heard he’s an actor now. He just got paid,got a few new grills, and he got some national recondition last year. At the end of last season this was his team. He was the star. He’s coming back blazing.

As to who’s most valuable to the team between Force or Washington, it’s Washington hands down.

By game 12 last year some of us were saying Force wouldn’t be back. Love the guy but what did he do last year? The Shower Pill.

“Goodness people” is right…

Sure SandpointHawk, Washington hands down! Lol.

I wouldn’t be surpised if Washington doesn’t make this team for long.

Reasons why-

1-Contrary to popular belief There were 19 kickoff returners from other teams that had better averages than Washington last year. He is now less than average of a kick returner.

2- As a punt returner he did better. Above average, however he wasn’t great by any means and he didn’t have a single TD returning punts or kicks.

3- I agree with Stevos that it’s a great accomplishment for a player like Forsett to last more than 4 or 5 years in the NFL at 5-8, so wouldn’t it be even more difficult for a player that is 5-8 and three years older, and with a major knee injury like Washington has had to be effective much longer?

4-If you count the combined rushing and receiving stats of last year of Washington and Forsett’s-

Washington- 290 yards.

Forsett – 273 yards.

Really, is Washington that much better than Forsett? I would bet that Baldwin would be a better kick off returner than Washington is.

Don’t get stuck on his 2010 return stats. It’s not going to happen again! Imo.
    Wake up! Lol, Washington is 29 years old.

33. wabubba67 says:

Just re-read my comment from a few days ago….meant to say that Turbin will make us forget about Forsett, not Lynch.

This will likely be Washington’s last year here, too, unless he improves over his 2011 season. He seemed less explosive last year compared to 2010. The guy from Tampa Bay might have a shot to replace Washington this year. We could then have Tate returning punts and maybe Turbin on kickoff duty.

wabubba67- You just re-read your comment from a few days ago? You mean yesterday? Lol. That’s ok, I’ve been drinking alot this weekend too.

If Baldwin wasn’t so good at catching the ball he would do well for us as a kick returner. He had a great pre-season returning kicks last year and the one time he returned a kick in the regular season he went 37 yards.

I agree about Turbin making us forget about Forsett, and not long before he makes us forget about Washington too.

Check out the Seahawks Dream/nightmare scenarios-

36. Hawks85 says:

Washington should have had a punt return for a TD against the browns, and he is by far our best option as a returner since Baldwin is too important to risk on special teams. If anything this should be a better year for Washington because I think we’re going to have better special teams all around, the league figuring out how to cheat to create a wedge, and he’ll be back to at least a couple returns a year which will make me incredible happy.

37. SandpointHawk says:

Lord Georgia in the 2011 season,

Leon had 248 yards rushing, 48 yards rec., KO Returns 1084 yards, Punt returns 454…Total yards 1834.

Forsett had 145 yards rushing,128 yards rec., KO returns 11 yards, Total yards 284…

I think that’s 1550 yards better for Leon but I could be wrong…

Now once again why do you think Marshawn is upset besides his play acting on that locker room video?

38. Forsett is the kind of back who really needs a decent O line, which he’s never had here. I still feel he’s every bit as good as the similar Darren Sproles given the right situation.

Fact: Washington ranked 10th in the league in yards per (kick return) last season, of those who had twenty or more returns (28 players).

Fact: Washington tied for 1st in the league in kick returns of 20+ yards (33) last season.

Fact: Washington was 2nd in the league in kick returns of 40+ yards (4) last season.

Fact: Washington was 9th in the league in punt return ave. of those with more than ten or more returns (34 players).

Fact: Washington was tied for 3rd in the league with punt returns of 20+ yards (7) last season.

Fact: Washington had no punt returns of 40+ yards or any return TDs last season.

By any reasonable measure, Washington is one of the best return men (kick offs and punts both) in the league. He is elite and to suggest he is less than average, is folly, at best.

40. SandpointHawk says:

Duke, I’ll take that as validation of my point…..

wabubba67 – Improve on 2011? Always room for improvement, but how reasonable do you believe your expectations are?

Sand – Indeed, although I was typing it as you posted yours. It’s crazy to me how these false narratives take hold, sometimes.

43. raymaines says:

and Forsett is the odd guy out because he and Washington are too similar, and the brain trust wanted the second running back to be more like Marshawn Lynch. Enter Robert Turbin stage left, exit J-Force stage right.

SandpointHawk- Did you read this article I posted? Now do you really think that Lynch could care less one way or the other? Really? Especially when forsett he can run and catch the ball as good as Washington, and is three years younger.

Like I said Washington will probably be here for another year because he used to be an elite return man who had a down year,( for an elite return man), last year.
    I hope he does return to his 2010 form, however father time and past injuries will make that a difficult task, imo.

Washington was elite last year. His production was reduced by nearly the exact same rate as returners across the league. That’s a result of rule changes, not Washington’s role. Now, if we’re talking the toll age takes and reducing production as a result, then yes, he has more great seasons behind him than in front. But let’s not muddle the two.

Fact is Dukeshire like I said there were 19 kickoff returners from other teams that had better averages than Washington did! Anyone can look this up and see that it’s true.

Now you can twist stats just about anyway you want like adding a 20 minimum to it, but that would then leave out the returners that had 17, 18, or 19 returns. Lol.

If you were targeting your false narrative dig at me than more power to you, but I would not put Washington into the elite status from last years performance. 2010 yes, however he was no Patrick Stevenson or Devin Hester last year no matter how you much you wish it to be.

How you much you? Lol! I couldn’t win a debate right now even if I am right!
    Beers to you and happy holiday!

Georgia – I didn’t twist anything. But it unreasonable to include players with a handful of returns with someone who was among league leaders in total returns. Would you not agree with that? His performance and numbers reflect hi production. An that places him squarely among the best in the league in 2011. As you note, anyone can look this up for themselves and see that.

I challenge you to produce a list where he was 19th in ave. I’ll be interested to see where you cut you list off, because of you include everyone who returned a kick, he wouldn’t even rank 19th.

Well, you’re not right about Washington’s production, but no matter. Tip one for me, and cheers!

50. wabubba67 says:

Duke–I was thinking about Washington’s role in the regular offense. He seemed strangely indecisive, and slow (for him) on runs and catches out of the backfield. His numbers on kickoff returns are still commendable, but the rule changes have diminished the importance of that role…he is still a good punt returner but could be replaced there rather easily by Tate. All of that makes Washington somewhat vulnerable, in my mind, to a roster cut in the near future (though probably not this year) unless he improves on 2011.

51. Helenahawk says:

J-force was a good guy and a good Seahawks, he gave all he could, and I wish him well with the Texans.

52. Loved Jforce – but just doesn’t seem to fit what PC is looking for at the position

What exactly would he have to improve, knowing where he ranked league wide? And what has Tate shown that indicates he could easily replace Washington returning punts? And lastly, I would actually argue that the rule changes make having a great returner more important. Teams that can now negate the near automatic touchbacks have a huge advantage now.

54. Hawks85 says:

Why are people suggesting Turbin? I can kinda understand bringing up Tate, but I think if anyone is going to replace Washington i’d think of Lockette’s speed, Obomanu’s versatility, and Baldwin jsut if it’s a big return.

55. raymaines says:

I’m not going to re-read 54 posts to be sure, but I don’t think anybody suggested replacing Washington with Turbin. Robert Turbin replaces JF as the second team halfback.

56. bayareahawkfan says:

I think the world of Forsett, and am very appreciative of what he brought the Hawks. But I fail to understand why people keep saying on this thread that he’s a younger version of Leon, or that he’d bring what Sproles brings to the Saints.

J-Force is small and quick, and very shifty, but he’s really pretty slow for his size (4.62 – 4.7 40 time) – especially compared to Washington (4.42), much less to Sproles (4.49).

Justin is a fine citizen, and a good change of pace guy, but even though he’s younger than Leon, he doesn’t bring anything approaching the same explosion and dynamism that Leon brings.

57. Macabrevity says:

You shake a tree and under-sized HB’s without elite speed fall out. In terms of positional productivity/role this is a pretty easy position to replace in the future when Leon’s age does finally start to catch up with him. Forsett is probably a great guy, but that doesn’t really warrant taking a roster spot.

Interesting debate but I have a hard time taking the loss of a player of Forsett’s caliber too seriously. Leon on the other hand is a proven commodity as a return-man, even if he did (or didn’t) have a down 2011. Maybe we have guys who could do as well or better, but we know what we have with Washington.

58. Macabrevity says:

” this is a pretty easy position to replace in the future when Leon’s age does finally start to catch up with him.”

I meant here to find a runner like Forsett – a role that Leon fills at the moment.

59. bbnate420 says:

I liked Forsett a lot and appreciate what he did here. I hope he can find employment in the NFL for a number of more years but, let’s not get it twisted. He will be lucky to get on the field much with Foster and Tate in front of him. He never has and will never be anything more than a decent 3rd down/change of pace back and a great locker room guy. We have a better one in Washington, who is ELITE as a returner as well. Look at his CAREER. A number of players have had a great YEAR returning. It’s a lot more difficult to do it YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT! He was still one of the better returners last year in spite of 0 tds, really should’ve been 1 as the one against the Browns was called back for a PHANTOM block in the back! You cannot waste one of 53 spots because someone is a NICE GUY! If you want to know what it looks like when a FO makes decisions based on reasons other than the best interests of the club and winning, go take a look at the MARINERS! Whoever said Forsett could be as good as Sproles, please send me some of whatever you’ve been smoking!

Georgia, with all due respect, maybe you should leave the statistical analysis to klm! Also, have you heard of Patrick Peterson? He’s almost as good as Patrick Stevenson! : )

Let’s not get our panties in a bunch over Clemons! The OTA’s are VOLUNTARY! Look that word up if you’re unsure of the meaning. As Danny O’Neill of the Times says, they only have access ONE DAY a week so making a judgement based on who is there that one day is misleading at best and disingenuous at worst. We have no clue whether he is making a contract play or not. I am AMAZED that anyone would hold it against him if he was. I love how many fans hold NFL players to a standard that they would NOT ACCEPT for themselves. Clemons has been grossly underpaid for his performance the last 2 years! I’m not saying that they should sign a 31 year old to long term deal worth a huge amount of guaranteed money but, he DESERVES AT LEAST a large raise for 2012. The Hawks have the space to do it! Player contracts are NOT GUARANTEED, for the most part. If a team can dump a player at any time and not pay you then why shouldn’t a player be able to renegotiate? If anyone says they wouldn’t want that right given the same situation, you are either delusional or a liar!!!!

“He never has and will never be anything more than a decent 3rd down/change of pace back and a great locker room guy. We have a better one in Washington”

There is nothing that I have seen from Washington in the last two years that makes him a better 3rd down/change of pace back than Forsett.

They are about the same, imo.

Now I don’t know where some here got the bright idea that I or anyone else is trying to make a case for Forsett being overall a better choice for this team than Washington.
    Perhaps they didn’t read the whole thread and just randomly chose one post, which I admit to having done a few times myself.

I was questioned on this thread by more than one person why I thought that Lynch could or would be in a bad mood because of the team not wanting to keep his long time close friend and teamate Forsett. I think I made a strong case as to why he would be, however I was not making a case at all for us to keep Forsett instead of Washington.

bbnate420- believe me I would love to leave the statistical analysis to klm, however I felt compelled to give it a shot considering it could be years before klm ever posts again. Lol.

BTW- Who is that Peterson guy? Lol.

Teammate!

See bbnate, I can make a mistake without having a drink too. Lol.

62. Ewalters7354 says:

Clemons received a 1.5 million dollar raise for this upcoming season.He should also be thankful for the opportunity to actually get playing time.Back with the Eagles he struggled to get on the field.So with that in mind and him also being 31 I wouldn’t give him much more.

63. Hawks85 says:

The problem with JF as a change of pace back to me is that he isn’t really a change of pace since he’s probably only as fast as Lynch. Washington can blow both of them out of the water with his speed. When was the last time Justin Forsett got a 40+ yard TD run? I’m pretty sure Washington got one at least the last two seasons. Even when JF was returning kicks he wasn’t special at it. JF might be the better pass protector, but thats all he really offers.

Even when it comes to catching the ball I give the edge to washington who catches punts, kick returns, bulleted swing passes, and screens compared to Forsett who catches softly thrown screen passes. Keeping Washington, and Forsett creates redundancy. Why not keep Washington, and keep a player that could help our weakspots. I still grimace when I think Michael Bennett was let go instead of JF.

64. Interesting debate – the Washington vs Forsett conversation. I’m not sure why this is a debate, it seems pretty cut and dry in all honesty. Turbin, not Washington, has replaced Forsett as the 3rd down back and primary backup to Lynch. So the debate should be Forsett vs. Turbin. No one wants to start that debate because we all know the result – Turbin in a landslide due to his size, youth, and running style.

Washington and Forsett are not at all similar players (other than height), nor do they play the same game. Forsett is a between the tackles, physical runner who uses his shiftiness to break arm tackles. Washington is not physical, he outruns tacklers and avoids head on tackles by creating favorable angles to get into open space.

Washington isn’t even really a backup RB, he is a niche (or role) player. Washington’s position is “home-run threat whenever he touches the ball”, He gets some reps in specific situations and in the return game only. He has his own thing, Forsett cannot do what Washington does – he just isn’t fast enough. Washington has sparked a ton of offense with his long returns and the energy it brings. He is an elite return man and the best returner in Seattle history (and yes I remember Bobby Jo Edmonds, Chris Warren and Joey Galloway). Washington’s best asset is that he makes a lot of big returns to spark an offensive drive late in games. Unfortunately, T-Jack couldn’t take advantage of the momentum and finish the job. Other than TD’s, Washington was equal to his 2010 performance.

This debate is honestly about cutting our elite KR/PR and home run threat in order to re-sign a decent veteran RB/3rd Down back because he’s best friends with our Franchise/Starting RB? If we went that route, welcome to true redundancy: Turbin AND Forsett.

Sac_94 – Well said and written.

66. wabubba67 says:

Sac_94—I don’t remember Chris Warren ever returning kicks, but I do remember Zachary Dixon (loved that guy) during some of the Knox years.

Duke—Again, talking about Washington improving his value to the team by becoming a viable threat as a backup running back for 3-5 carries or catches per game. He seemed strangely indecisive in that role in 2011 v. 2010. Tate has shown the ability to be a dangerous punt returner in the attempts that he has been given. Washington’s value as a kickoff returner is diminished due to the rules…more touchbacks equals less kickoff returns.

67. bbnate420 says:

Sac_94, I don’t think it is “cut and dry” at all that Turbin is the 3rd down back right now. He may well be but, it is WAY too early to call that. Turbin undoubtedly will be the primary back up when Lynch needs a rest and if Lynch misses any games. That isn’t the same thing as being the 3rd down back. Reports out of the rookie camp talked about how well Turbin caught the ball so he may be a good option on 3rd. Time will tell. The Browns game last year showed that they didn’t have anyone who could step up if Lynch is hurt.

Georgia, although I honestly expected more out of Washington from scrimmage last year, he clearly outplayed Forsett in that role last year. Washington averaged 4.7 a rush while Forsett was at 3.2! Add to that the ability to take it to the house on any carry, which Forsett doesn’t have IMO. Forsett was a little better catching the ball as Washington only caught 10 balls, very surprising, but only averaged 0.8 more a catch. I bet Washington improves on his numbers from last year if given the plays.

Ewalters, why would Clemons be “thankful” for playing time? I think he EARNED IT! PC doesn’t just hand unproven players playing time. And he has put up back to back 11 sack years with that playing time. 4.5 mil for a player getting 11 sacks a year is WAY BELOW value! That is my point! He has every RIGHT to renegotiate for more money. If he blows his ACL or Achilles in TC, the Hawks can simply cut him and not pay him a dime.

68. wabubba – Being a superb returner was how Chris Warren made the roster initially…

Too bad you missed it… he looked ridiculous compared to the normal returners of the day (Meggett, Metcalf, etc – little guys) he looked like a linebacker. Add to that he ran so upright, and at 6’2 220+ he was already huge – he just looked strange returning kicks. He was awesome at it though, excellent at finding the crease and he had very underrated speed. Chuck Knox called him (Warren) the biggest PR in NFL history. Early in his career, he was buried on the depth chart behind Derrick Fenner (straight out of the real clink) and the legend, John L. Williams. We also had James Jones on that team who played more RB than Warren. He really needed to be a stud on special teams due to the depth in front of him. The RB position had to be rebuilt following Curt Warner’s departure, so a lot of guys were brought in at the same time.

Tate? No man, he hasn’t shown much as a returner – he SHOULD be good at it based on his skillset for sure. He tried it remember, he fumbled one and otherwise didn’t distinguish himself back there. Baldwin on the other hand, looked pretty good in limited opportunities. Neither has the burst that Washington has though, it’s what makes him elite – that uncoachable SPEED.

69. raymaines says:

I kind of think Golden Tate is going to either pull his head out of his butt and have a great year or get cut. He’s got all that potential and he could be SOoo good, but he just doesn’t seem to be reading the hand writing on the wall. If he gets it together he’ll be great, if not he’ll be on the bench or be gone.

I don’t agree with Ewalters about Clemons being “thankful” for playing time. He’s earned his minutes, but he’s earned them in a system that plays to his strengths and he should be thankful he’s in such a system. In the short term, he seems to have the leverage in this contract squabble, Seattle needs him. Long term, if he ever expects to play again he better play and play well this year, he needs Seattle. Absolutely NOBODY is going to sign a 32 year old Leo player with a recent history of contract issues.