Morning links: Hawks playoff-bound in 2012?

Post by Eric Williams on May 8, 2012 at 9:42 am with 80 Comments »
May 8, 2012 9:46 am
Seattle Seahawks safety Earl Thomas. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

Clark Judge of CBS Sports believes that head coach Pete Carroll could have the Seattle Seahawks back in the playoffs after a 7-9 campaign in 2011.

Judge lists the Seahawks as one of five teams that missed the playoffs last season that could be back in the postseason in 2012. Along with Seattle, Judge says Chicago, Philadelphia, Buffalo and San Diego are teams on the outside looking in last year that could be back in the playoffs in the upcoming season.

Judge: Seattle is chasing San Francisco in the NFC West, and the last time they met — late last season — they fell just short, losing by two points after quarterback Tarvaris Jackson fumbled with a little more than a minute left. Those Seahawks played great defense but didn’t have enough offense. These Seahawks think they fixed the problem with the acquisition of quarterback Matt Flynn, and maybe they’re right. Flynn has only two NFL starts, but he was marvelous in both. I don’t know, but this looks like a carbon copy of the 49ers’ blueprint, a club that can hammer you with defense and put just enough points on the board — largely thanks to its running game. It worked for San Francisco. Why not here?

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com talks to Seattle’s salary cap specialist and contract negotiator John Idzik about the team’s early signings of Bruce Irvin and seven other draft choices.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times believes it’s premature to think Tarvaris Jackson will not be with the Seahawks in 2012 if he does not win the starting quarterback job.

ESPN’s Mike Sando confirms through agent Ken Harris that Seahawks offensive lineman Deuce Lutui has in fact taken on a vegan diet to help control his weight.

Chad Reuter of NFL.com ranks the top five prospects at each position for next year’s draft.

Bucky Brooks of the NFL Network ranks USC quarterback Matt Barkley as his top college prospect in 2013.

Dave Boling of The News Tribune champions the continued implementation of safety measures by league commissioner Roger Goodell to protect players from concussion issues.

Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports obtains a signed declaration to the league detailing how former Seahawks defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove was instructed by current and former Saints assistant coaches Joe Vitt and Gregg Williams in 2010 to deny the team’s bounty program.

Pat Kirwan of CBS Sports takes a cloer look at the depth on the rosters of all 32 teams from a personnel evaluator perspective, and concludes that New England and St. Louis could cut loose a talented receiver because of depth at the position.

Morning links
  1. Palerydr says:

I like the Hawks chances they are going to play an avg schedule IMO. I think Buffalo will be a tough team to beat as I like what they did to improve their defensive line. The Hawks may keep 4 QB’s this season if they can carry enough players that can contribute in more than 1 position in other area’s of the team.

I use Firefox and have no consistent problems with my pop ups. I did go through a spell of about 5-6 mo where I couldn’t post or had problems. You guys remember I kept posting “test” before I would try anything else.

2. FleaFlicker says:

I like Hawks’ chances, too.

Rest of the sports world is another story. Seattle is a 5.5 to 1 shot to win the NFC West, according to various websites. No respect I tell you.

3. jboard1 says:

Maybe it is just me but….how in the hell do they have the nerve to say “but this looks like a carbon copy of the 49ers’ blueprint”? I see this argument everywhere, in every freaking article, yammering on about how PC is building this team up like the 9ers. Let’s see, PC took over this team that was run into the ground by Mora and Ruskell. This IS PC’s philosophy, he started this back in his USC days and brought it over HERE to implement HERE. He built this..not Jed York or Harbaugh. He is not stealing this philosophy from those DBAGS, but yet every time i read an article, there it is. Come on! Am i alone here?

4. JMSeaTown says:

Gotta love being in the NW, the rest of the country has no idea what’s brewing.

jboard1 – I haven’t seen that comparison made, often. But I’d agree: it’s absurd. They may play a similar style (strong defense, run the ball, etc…) but I’d certainly agree; how each are arriving there couldn’t be more different.

6. jboard1 says:

Duke – I have seen it numerous times and it always bugs me. I guess it is just another example of how the media sees us up here in the PNW…ridiculous. I so badly hope that the Hawks get going early this season, get some momentum and then smash on the 9ers twice! I would love it, the rest of the 12′s would love it and we all know PC would “be jacked up” to beat the piss out of Harbaugh!

Those games are going to be intense, to be sure.

8. chuck_easton says:

The Majority of the U.S. sports writers couldn’t find Seattle on a map if you gave them three tries and spotted them the satallite co-ordinates on google earth.

I’m still shocked at how many people in the East think Washington and Seattle are cities in the same State and general geographic region.

9. jboard1 says:

LOL chuck…My girlfriend recently was on a flight back from Cali to Seattle. The guy next to her asked if the redskins and seahawks play in the same stadium or if they have separate ones. HAHA, that had me rolling on the ground

10. montanamike2 says:

It’s a proven fact that Seattle is not on any maps east of the rockies
    There is a reference to it as a suburb of Vancouver B.C. Don’t take it personel though since Portland isn’t there either, just California and Canada.

11. wabubba67 says:

Went to a journalism school on the east coast during the summer of 1989 as a high school kid. Upon arriving, had two adults and some of my peers ask me about our battles with Indian tribes and whether we could drive cars all year around on dirt roads. For them, it was as if the Wild West had never ended.

Not kidding.

12. footballscaa says:

Playoffs?!! As of today, sure the Hawks playoff chances look great. As of next December????…..

13. I think the Seahawks have a good chance of making the playoffs this year, as long as the injury bug doesn’t bite too badly. The good thing is, unlike in previous years, PC and JS are building solid depth, so the team might be able to win games without a top player or two. Hopefully that applies to the QB position as well, especially if Flynn and Wilson are both legit.

14. jboard1 says:

Cool footballscaa, thanks for that inspiring vote of confidence. Glad to know you have faith in the ‘hawks.

15. neklok says:

If the Hawks are going to see the post-season, they’re going to have to earn it – especially at home. DAL, GB, and NE are no joke and will test both the Defense and newly captained Offense. And all before week 6!

There are also some road tilts that could prove to be tough with games at CAR, DET and CHI. BUF doesn’t worry me as much since it’s in essentially a neutral stadium.

Yes, if SEA takes care o’ business in the division all will be okay but with Fisher in STL now I expect them to improve greatly as early as this season.

I do feel good about where the Hawks are right now but they’ve got work to do so the machine is well-oiled going into the regular season. If they can’t put up points, they’ll struggle. Unless of course the DEF becomes All-World, which I’m thinking is quite possible…

16. bird_spit says:

Lets hope the rest of the US continues to ignore the seahawks. I want them to all think its the second or third best. Then I want the hawks to hand them their teeth.

The defense was strong, and got stronger. Our secondary is ridiculous – I mean Trufant is our back-up. He stays healthy, and our dime and nickel package is solid back there. Our DL is stout, and LBs are built for speed (2012). We have the ability (2012) to rush the passer with 3 guys, something that has lacked for sometime.

17. Singularitarian says:

I think Russel WIlson starts out the year as the starter and leads Steattle to a 9-11 win season. I don’t think Carroll has seen what he wants from T-Jack as far as being starter that enables Seattle to be a contender, and I think there is 3 other qb’s on the roster that Carroll would ratger give a shot to start. coupled with the fact that(from what I understand) they can drop him and owe him close to no money, T-Jack is the odd man out IMO. I don’t see the point of “experience” on a team, when that experience is not what you want satrting. Push comes to shove I honestly think Carroll would give Portis the nod over Jackson.
    That brings us to Flynn/RW/Portis, which I think Carroll will have a legitimate qb competition, well at least between Flynn and Wilson. Most people think Flynn is the shoe in, but I think Wilson gets the nod, or should, for several reasons. It’s not as if Flynn is this experienced quarterback who knows the system, one could argue that Wilson has more experience running a pro style offense. I feel like he’s gonna come in to camp and grasp the playbook and the system better and faster. I also think he has the better tools: better arm, better scrambler, better football IQ, better leader, etc. If Flynn had sat behind Hasselbeck and Jackson, then he’d have more meaningful experience, but in actuality you have 2 guys with little to no experience learning a new system. The only red flag on Wilson is his size(actually only height, he has long arms and monster hands), But if they were too worried about that they wouldn’t have drafted him in the 3rd round. I pick which many considered a “reach”, but they could have cared less because they wanted to ensure that they got their guy. They have gushed about him ever since. I think he comes into camp next week and the gushing continues. I laso think Carroll knows this team can be successful THIS year with Flynn or Wilson, and that success will make it hard to justify switching qb’s down the road, meaning if they think Wilson is the guy, now’s as good a time as any to find out, and if he shits the bed, they can always fall back on the “safer, more experienced” Flynn. that’s my 2 cents. (or 10)

18. TruBlu says:

HAWKS PLAYOFF BOUND IN 2012? Hell Yeah they are.

19. TruBlu says:

Wilson does not get a start for Seattle until next year, and that’s only if Flynn gets hurt. Flynn knows the speed of the game at this level and torched two different teams, I think that qualifies him to have a liitle more experiance than Wilson, I still think that pick was a head scratcher.

20. chuck_easton says:

Sorry but no way Wilson beats out Flynn OR Jackson. Jackson has one more year on his contract and provides that solid backup with experience.

I can’t think of any QB that was drafted in the 3rd round that came in and was named the starter. 3rd round QB’s are usually project QB’s. The 3rd round slot pretty much quarantees Wilson a spot on the 53 man roster but likely as the 3rd QB. He’ll move up to 2nd (or maybe #1) by next season, but not this year.

A team may go with a 1st round QB right off the start. Some 2nd round QB’s may start but that is also rare.

21. Palerydr says:

Singularitarian 9-11? so I guess that means we win 1 and lose 2 in playoffs? Anyway your take on the QB spot is off a bit like your math. Wilson, however much the Hawks like him, is a rookie he will compete for the 3rd string position. He’s just not going to get the reps in practice needed to make Pete pick him over Flynn and Jackson. I’m not sold on Flynn being the starter he still has to beat out Jackson on the field. By all accounts he should be able to accomplish that if he can’t then I’m gonna give BobbyK unbelievable amounts of grief. I’m still hearing negatives about Flynn’s overall arm strength so Jackson has a leg up there. Personally I would like to see Flynn as our QB at least until they can find somebody better. I don’t believe that is Jackson or Wilson at this time or in the near future.

22. Palerydr says:

Should read win 1 and lose 3 after 8-8 season we make the playoffs. And I’m actually pretty good at math DOH!

I believe he meant they’d win between 9 to 11 games. Not a 9-11 record.

24. Singularitarian says:

they will win between 9 and 11 games. Maybe think before you criticise

25. Palerydr says:

I rarely think before I criticize where’s the fun in that? But yes I see where that reads 9 to 11 wins. I stand on my criticism of your post however no way Wilson is the starter unless both Flynn and Jackson are inj.

26. Singularitarian says:

I just don’t see Jackson making the team. maybe I’m wrong. Probably. Can anyone verify whether we could drop Jackson on the cheap?

Jackson’s contract is not guarantees for 2012, if that’s what you are referring to.

28. Singularitarian says:

right right, so when would we have to cut him to not have to pay him partially?

29. Palerydr says:

Jackson is a valuable commodity for the Hawks he has experience in the offense as well as the respect of the players. Not much chance he’s not on the roster for at least another year. Course if I was always right then I’d be a gazillionaire by now still working on that.

30. IBGoofy says:

Interesting, the optomism…. Pls note:
    “Totally hope you are correct Eric, about Wagner starting…. If he doesn’t, the best we have is a ‘situational starter’ out of the draft, giving the draft pundit’s the chance to be even more critical of our selections…. With Wilson, Turbin and Howard clearly ‘backup’ status for this year, the elation with our draft is a bit over hyped…
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m ok with our draft, but it’s heavily weighted toward ‘tomorrow’, not ‘today’… Fortunatly we have Flynn & Jones going into the draft (plus those coming off injury’s)to make us better overall, but our division has also gotten better also….
    If Flynn fails, we’re still in the middle of the division at 50-50, at best. Watching his video’s, I don’t believe it will happen though. His touch on the flair passes will be very significant and I’m guessing will give our rec’rs a lot to be thankful for.”
    For me, last yr wa fun…. This coming year could be even MORE FUN if Flynn makes us forget Hass…. (IMOHO, “Loved” Hass & all he brought to us, but IBL Flynn will bring more meaning to Seattle!)

31. Seahawks2620 says:

I know it is only one picture, but from the looks of the picture of Mike Williams on Seahawks.com, he has not shown up in the greatest of shape.

32. IBGoofy says:

For me, last yr “was” fun…. (oops!)

Seahawks2620 – I just saw that too. I’m reluctant to read much into it either, but from that angle, he’s looks to have put on some weight. Yikes…

34. Seahawks2620 says:

Dukeshire- Yikes indeed. I sure hope it is in fact the angle. I was hoping for a bounce back year, but realistically suspected that it would not be the case.

35. Canfan says:

“I can’t think of any QB that was drafted in the 3rd round that came in and was named the starter.”

Even Joe Montana, who was also a third rounder, had to wait until his second year to become a starter.

36. Singularitarian says:

even when in shape he was always pretyy thick, maybe looks a little chubby though, time will tell. It would be nice to have that big target on the field, hopefully he doesn’t get himself cut

37. Canfan says:

Mike Williams will have enough time this summer to transform himself from a minivan to a BMW. I hope!

38. Singularitarian says:

Canfan- Carroll and Co have made it clear they don’t base talent on the round a player was selected in. If Wilson was 6’4 he’d have been drafted before Tanahill. He fell to the 3rd round due to height worries only. And his height won’t change sitting on the bench for 2 or 3 years

39. ruminator1 says:

i think there is litttle chance TJ is not on the team this yr. i am not exactly a fan but i did not find him terrible either. i think he waited to long with the ball and he telegraphed his passing intentions. imo he also did not look for alternatives when a reciever was not open. some of that is the re4sponsibility of the offensice4 line; his protection was not good much of the time. regardless, he had some good moments, had some zip on the ball. he may not wind up the starter, but i think this year he will be at le4ast backup.
    speaking of qb’s, did any of you folks check out the latest qb signing by miami? he got a 3 yr contract. for entertainment if nothing else, this is worth viewing! http://now.msn.com/now-plus/0506-trick-shot-qb.aspx
    finally on east coast bias it is long and very very real. when i first came to seattle some 35-40 yrs ago, i was sure the city was surrounded by high wooden fences (you know, tom yawkey, lumber baron, lived here…)

40. montanamike2 says:

I think Flynn will be better than both Bradford and Kolb, maybe call it even on Alex Smith, at least for year one. Look he did learn the system in GB for 4 years and was coached up along with Rogers help. In his only 2 starts he broke 2 records for the team that won the first super bowl, you have to at least give him a few games. I’m pretty confident he’ll beat out Tj. I agree that you can’t throw a kid into the not for long league especially if you don’t have to. I like the nastiness and tenacity of this group, too bad Mora isn’t here to see his “dirtbags”.

41. wabubba67 says:

If the picture is accurate, it will be a bounce back year for Williams…just not the type we were hoping for.

42. IBGoofy says:

Canfan… Yup! IMOHO, We will hear mjr, mjr about Wilson in the next 9 months or so, but Flynn may put him back in “Flynn’s” status at GB … a challenger…. We actually may be done as far as drafting QB’s to improve ourselves…. I totally believe Flynn will make our rec’rs look better…. I actually believe TJ will learn from Flynn… Will it be enough to kick Portis to the PS and eventually another team, only time will tell…….

43. SandpointHawk says:

Can anyone tell me why George Foreman is wearing #17 in this photo?
    Lord knows I had hopes for BMW but that’s just scary…

44. Seahawks2620 says:

SandpointHawk- Yeah, we were just discussing that. Looks like he hit up McDonald’s one too many times this off-season. We shall see though, as Duke alluded to, it might just be the angle. He seems to fill out those clothes quite “well” though.

45. Soggybuc says:

What has Flynn done? Other than being one of the top rated prospects in Texas HS football(he lost the state championship), winning 2 bowl games and a national championship at LSU. but yea he sucked in college because he didn’t beat out a Heisman winner and eventual #1 draft pick.
    He was a terrible pick for GB because he never beat out a superbowl MVP who also happens to be one of the top QB’s in the game today so yea he really sucks because he never beat out Rodgers.
    And geez when he did get to start a game all he managed to do was set several records for one the oldest and most storied team in the NFL, who couldnt to that? easy to set records when the only competition are coplete wastes of space like Farve, Rodgers and some little known yahoo named Starr.

46. Singularitarian says:

akmost looks like he’s wearing like a rib protecter or something

47. ruminator1 says:

i posted this above. amazing. does anyone know anything about this guy? http://now.msn.com/now-plus/0506-trick-shot-qb.aspx

48. Singularitarian says:

not sure if that was aimed at me soggybuc, but I feel Wilson is something special. I never said anything to dog on Flynn, actually I said that the team should have success with either qb. Flynn could def prove to be a ball hucking pimp, and he seems pretty smooth and has alot of touch on his balls. I just think Wilson beats him in a b comp

49. chuck_easton says:

if you can call 10 or so extra pounds around the mid-section a rib protector then we have a winner.

Look at the 3 chins, the rounded cheeks (in the face, not the ones facing the camera, but lordy do those look big as well), and the Jenny Craig ‘before’ belly.

I have been a big supporter of BMW. I was so happy for him when he made his comeback in 2010. I even gave him a pass on last season knowing about the injuries.

But, man oh man, if that is how he’s going to show up at camp this year my only question is does BMW make a dumptruck model? WOW.

Full disclosure. I’m not exactly runway model thin and I am trying to lose another 10-15 lbs in addition to the 18 I have already lost, so I hesitate to be the one to call Williams out. But then my job doesn’t require me to be in shape and fast!

ruminator1 – I remember seeing that video some time back. It’s all pretty sick! Never saw him play one snap in college though (Monmouth doesn’t get much air-time. lol). He’s got decent size (6’3″ 218lb) and ran a 4.81. Sadly, that’s about all I know.

51. ruminator1 says:

ha ha yes, he seems to have decent stats and decent speed and somehow he gets 3 yr contract. wish him well. regardless, those trick shots are incredible (just think if he could do the off the goal posts in a game!)

52. Palerydr says:

Flynn has played 2 games in the NFL that’s it. Yes they were well played games on a roster with good NFL players. He has not gone through a season as the starter of an NFL team. He hasn’t gone through a stretch where he loses 3 of his starting Oline, his #1 WR, and had his starting RB go down for a few games. He hasn’t lead his team to a 4th quarter comeback after getting dropped for 6 sacks in a game. He hasn’t shown the leadership needed to win a game in December when everybody has a few dings including himself. When he has done those things while putting up a winning record then I’ll cut him some slack. He’ll get my support but up to now all he has shown is “Potential” I’m not gonna put him in the HOF just yet but I would love it if he did wind up there as a Hawk. What we really could use is a WR capable of getting to the Pro Bowl as it’s been 23 years since we had 1. Man that’s sad.

53. Seahawks2620 says:

ruminator1 – That video is beast.

54. IBGoofy says:

Soggy… (and Sing)…. From these eyes, Flynn will be the one that puts us in playoff territory…. this year…. Wilson will be a close second in 2013, (if we all make it past Friday, Dec 21st!) LOL!

ruminator1 – Speaking of his stats, pretty impressive, regardless of D-III.

56. Palerydr says:

BMW really should consider moving to TE then who cares what he weighs. I know he’s resisted that move I suppose he doesn’t like the idea of having to block bigger guys. He sure would be a matchup problem for LB’s and Safeties.

He struggles with getting off the line facing a press from a corner. How’s he going to get off against a Sam ‘backer, or safety?

58. montanamike2 says:

ibgoofy i wish i was still in the area so i could invite you to my first annual end of the world party on Dec. 21st. For realz!
    I’ve been looking forward to it since last year. Too bad the hawks don’t play that night.

59. Palerydr says:

So he’s big and slow and can’t beat press coverage why is he on the team? I can speculate but really I want the guy to show up tired of people making excuses for him.

60. chuck_easton says:

Palerydr,

I was one of BMW’s vocal supporters on here, but I can’t stand (or sit) by and think somebody that out of shape should be on the team.

Somebody needs to send that picture to BMW along with a calendar that has opening day of camp circled.

Mike, it’s not too late. Step away from the buffet line. Vegetables are your friends. Or, to put it in language today’s players understand, do you REALLY need that multi-million dollar paycheck? Because nobody is going to sign you if Seattle cuts your rather large and totally unsightly posterior.

Palerydr – We all do.

62. IBGoofy says:

Montana! Close to St Regis? LOL!!! Was there just over a month ago w/one of me Lady’s best friends… Wow! Gorgeous! Gorgeous! I spend a lot of time in FL, but my heart is in the mountains!…… (course, I’m Goofy, so….. )

63. montanamike2 says:

We have a small but dedicated 12th man in my small circle.
    You’re always welcome to come anytime. I might make it there first though, i’ve always wanted to see a football game live. I was a die hard Sonics fan and went to plenty of games and saw the Mariners when the whole gang was there in the 90′s.

64. IBGoofy says:

Pal… about Flynn…. think of it this way, … just sayin’… Irvin hasn’t had a ‘moment’ in the NFL, and look at the accolades he’s gotten from this blog… Flynn, in probably the most important (and visible) position on an NFL team, has done, well let’s say, an ‘acceptable’ job when given the chance (and bench maturity)…. on ‘the field’….
    For me… this has a different perspective… again, just sayin’…….

65. JMSeaTown says:

BMW reporting as Tight End… JS & Mr. Happy wanted him to put on some lbs… Miller time and BMW, not too shabby. I like that duo

66. NWPoseidon says:

You cant knock Flynn about what he has not shown (ie Leadership in December and 3-game losing streaks) when those opportunities have not been presented to him. You have to judge him by what he has or has not done with his opportunities. In HS he won the starting job and took his team to the ‘ship. In college when he finally got his chance, all he did was win a national ‘ship. When he finally got drafted he had to battle against a 2nd rounder and what do you know? he won the job. When he finally got his opportunities to play in the pros he set records on a legendary team. There is significantly more evidence to him succeeding with the Seahawks than failing. At no point has there been evidence of failure. He has not been spoon-fed anything because he lacks ideal physical traits. Physical traits are great, as long as you can use them, see JaMarcus. Brains, leadership and courage win football games and it appears Flynn has those in spades. Maybe he wont succeed but right now the evidence does not point towards failure or mediocrity. BTW Flynn has pretty severely hurt during his senior year when he won the nat’l title and he refused to give up or back down. I think that says more than a lot about his character.

67. Palerydr says:

My expectations for Irvin are he’s gonna play roughly 40 snaps a game and get pressure on the QB. My expectations for Flynn are considerably higher as I’m sure it is for everyone. For me I am truly looking forward to us playing meaningful games in Dec with Flynn being “The Guy” doing all the stuff I listed above. Unless of course the end of the world comes on the 21st in which case I hope we are in 1st place in the div Lol

68. On BMW: I saw the same picture, and I dont know what y’all are seeing. He may or may not have a belly. You see how tight his jersey fit across his back? Looks to me like he had it pulled tight in front. I didnt see loose skin or double chins. His arms look buff too.

Perhaps he is packing 10-15 lbs too much. Impossible to say from that picture. I sure hope he isnt. But even if he is, mini camps should straighten that out and have him ready to go by camp. If he thinks he can loaf and keep his spot, with all the talent we have at WR, he’s nuts. He’s gonna have to bust butt and really work at getting a rapport with Flynn and T-Joke.

Durham looks like a total wuss. Look at his arms! Pipecleaners! I hope he steps up this year, he was a pretty good player in college, just had to sit behind AJ Green.

69. montanamike2 says:

You can go out with a party like me.

70. MontanaMike2–I get to Missoula and Lewis/Jefferson County in MT a couple times a year to watch the Hawks. If you ever want to grab a beer and talk Hawks or watch the game, hit me up.

I love it that Carrol is expecting big things from Lockette. He’s so fast, if he has a good year…damn, we havent had a real deep threat since Galloway, and before that since Paul Johns or whatever in the eighties..

JMSeaTown – Do you have a link to verify that? Because as of just 4 hours ago, Farnsworth at Seahawks.com is reporting Williams as a WR.

72. ruminator1 says:

williams really has not performed after his first yr and even there there were lots of dropped balls. if i were on the staff, in addition to demanding he get in shape, i’d be interested in what he could do as a TE, but i’m not at all confident. i don’t recall him being effective as a blocker. he was soooo lucky to get a second chance. last year while he was playing he was out of position and again the dropped balls. i didn’t see elite effort. competition and effort, the bywords of PC. i do like flynn’s accuracy. if that is consistent, i see production from our recievers (barring injury). but we do need a downfield threat (a healthy Rice? Obo?) and for that the qb has to have tight routes, better blocking and better communication between recievers and qb.
    i notice a few anti-Mora comments here. i do not bash him. who knows how well he would have done over the course of a few years. i for one did not think he was bad. but his team was. (i was amused at the columns in LA regarding his insistance that players run to and from practice–guess it never happened with Nuehisal) regardless, i am 100% on board for PC. this teamm needed to change and he has changed it. we are far more athletic, agressive, energetic–there is an attitude up and down the roster and it feels that we can be competitive with any team. such a difference

73. raymaines says:

About 20 years ago I remember thinking that Dan McGuire should have been introduced to the weight/strength coach and converted to a D-Tackle. I was wrong. DM wasn’t a good enough athlete to be a DT.

Fast forward………….

Mike Williams isn’t going to be a tight end. He could spend the rest of his life in a weight room and he still wouldn’t have the heart or desire to be a TE. God bless the young man. I’m sure he would be a great golf partner, neighbor, or son in law, but he isn’t going to be a receiver for the Seahawks.

Love ya man. Have a nice life. Write if you find work. Bye.

74. montanamike2 says:

STTBM that would be cool for sure.

75. IMO, the Hawks’ fate on 2012 rests on 3 areas:

1. Flynn: I was very much in favor of this signing, let’s hope it works out!

2. Injury (or more accurately lack of)

3. SF 49er’s: Was 2011 a fluke or are they really that good? My hope & guess is it was more a fluke.

76. Southendzone says:

STT: Was it Paul Johns? I remember Daryl Turner being the deep threat for a while, then getting a major case of the dropsies and he ended up getting eyeglasses!

As for this topic, my main argument about playoff predictions has always been our SB season. It was the year before that when we had the favor of all the talking heads, and we failed to meet the expectations. Then in 05, we weren’t the golden boy of the league but something magic happened. If you weren’t there, you’d never believe it.

I was at Qwest for every game that year and the experience was beyond awesome. The Hawks have the ingredients for something crazy/magic to happen again this year.

Hope, is a good thing:

77. bird_spit says:

BMW could be the Seahawks version of the “fridge”. I looks like he hangs out there anyway…you are what you eat. Mike “The Fridge” Williams…has a ring to it, or is that a toilet flushing. Wow..pathetic.

78. Let’s not forget that Mike Williams is recovering from a broken ankle and probably could not do as much cardio as he would have liked. He doesn’t look grossly overweight. He needs to shed 10 to 15 pounds. I still think we could do a lot worse than have him as one of our six WRs. We’ll see how he does in the preseason games.

79. Macabrevity says:

Matt Flynn: ball-hucking pimp… not bad :)

80. HawkfaninMT says:

Love that MT is getting some love on this blog! I can see a TNT Blog hawks game meeting in Missoula in the future! Pressbox maybe?

I feel like the Titans tried BMW out as a TE and it was an abject failure. As was pointed out, he just lacked the toughness to get off the line when challenged by LBs and SSs.