Morning links: More to Moore than meets the eye

Post by Eric Williams on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:12 am with 37 Comments »
February 27, 2012 10:12 am
Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore runs a drill at the NFL football scouting combine in Indianapolis on Sunday, Feb. 26, 2012. (AP Photo/Dave Martin)

In my story today, off the field, Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore would never be part of Dick Vitale’s fabled All-Airport team.
He’s like the team manager getting off the bus, not a starting quarterback.

What Moore is attempting to do during the draft process is show teams that what they’ve from him on film is not a fluke, despite some of the lesser competition he’s played against during his career with the Broncos.

And despite some of his shortcoming like arm strength, size and athleticism, teams know they will get a smart player who will compete and be prepared if they are willing to take a chance on Moore.

ESPN’s Mike Sando provides a nice overview of Seattle’s options at upgrading the quarterback position.

With the Seahawks eager to improve the team’s pass rush, Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times takes a look at some of the players likely available in the first round.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com also takes a look at the pass rushers available in the first round.

Jason Wilde of ESPN Wisconsin provides a good piece on another small quarterback trying to overcome obstacles at the combine, Wisconsin’s Russell Wilson.

Dan Pompei of the National Football Post has an interesting column on the issue of tampering at the scouting combine.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated in his Monday Morning QB says the Seahawks could be in the running to trade up to get RG3, but they like Ryan Tannehill and Brock Osweiler as well. Same stuff I heard at the combine.

Memphis defensive tackle Dontari Poe posted some pretty sick numbers at the combine today, bench pressing 225 pounds 44 times and running an unofficial time of 4.87 seconds in the 40-yard dash. Not bad for someone 6-4 and 346 pounds.

Morning links
  1. Ewalters7354 says:

Let me be the first to say that Nick Perry is an absolute FREAK OF NATURE!Those combine numbers are ridiculous.

Wow! Poe! I don’t think I ever heard of a guy that big running so fast!

3. Man, how can you not root for Kellen Moore. I’m intrigued to see where he’s taken in the draft. I wouldn’t be sad to see the ‘Hawks take a chance on him–especially if one of the big free agent QB names come to Seattle.

Poe; one of your Memphis boys, eh Eric? A little alumni pride there.

Eric, someone posted, in the previous thread, that Leroy Hill was again arrested, in Atlanta. I can’t find anything on that. Have you heard anything about this?

5. HawkyHann says:

Johny Clayton is reporting Seattle is prepared to release the oft-injured Sidney Rice for TO, following his debut performance with the Allen Wranglers in Indoor Football League. Time to cut our losses.

6. I saw an interview with Moore yesterday on the combine stream, and he certainly doesn’t look like someone who would be the face of the franchise, posture and everything, but that just makes me root even harder for the guy. And Perry is turning it up a notch at the combine, haven’t been able to watch much, but from a numbers perspective Perry and Branch are both looking really solid.

Moore is easy to root for. But I can’t imagine any team taking him with the idea of him becoming a starter. He may surprise whoever signs him, but I’ve got to believe teams view him as a backup.

Release Rice to make room for Owens? Not a chance in hell Owens is signed by Seattle. That’s funny.

If anyone could set a franchise back it is Owens. Lol.

10. “Johny Clayton is reporting Seattle is prepared to release the oft-injured Sidney Rice for TO,”

Haha yea right…not even ruskell was that dumb…ok nevermind lol, but that’ll never happen

11. The more interviews and clips with other defensive ends and tackles I watch, the less I want to do with Coples, he seems incredibly lazy in person compared to Perry, Poe and Mercilus and nowhere near as well spoken, which of course isn’t necessarily translating to the field, but I do not like what I see, especially since he isn’t consistent on the field.

12. Moore is left handed? We’re well invested in our LT and a little up in the air at RT, so that’s probably another reason to stay away from him. Plus, I don’t want any more midget QBs like Seneca Wallace, even as a back-up.

We should always have 2nd and 3rd rounders with upside and starter potential, so they have trade value like Kolb, Cassell, Flynn, etc…

It makes no sense whatsoever to me to allow a guy who will never be a starter to take back-up reps from a player with more potential.

That was a huge failing during the Holmgren era. He could have left us with Hasselbeck’s aire, had he not been so loyal to Seneca.

13. 2nd and 3rd string (not rounders)

14. Guys I’m working to confirm the Hill story. I should have something up shortly.

15. Audible: Well-said. And good points @ Moore.

16. Terrell Owens, aside from being a suicidal idiot with the maturity of a 14-year-old, has lost his speed and has hands of stone. And according to him, he never dropped a single pass…always someone else’s fault.

There is no way in hell he’s coming here, certainly not to replace Rice. Rice is made of glass, but he can still run and catch. We’re stuck with the fool. (If he’d cut his retarded dreads, he might not get so many concussions…sloppy fitting helmets lead to sure concussions).

Im more worried about Hill. The guy seems determined to destroy his life. For God’s sake, if he’s been arrested again, he’s not only on a one-way ticket out of Seattle, but likely the entire NFL.

17. As for Moore, Im rooting for him–just on another team. Same with the miniscule Wilson. We have a need at qb, and backup qb, and Portis has far more potential than a couple shorties.

I like Kirk Cousins–he threw the best out of all the qb’s at the combine–and would love to see us take him in the third. We’ll see. He might go a lot higher than people expect, due to the value placed on the position.

Guys I think I would be happy with: Poe, Coples, Still, Kirkpatrick, Brown, or any of the stud defensive players really. Just so long as they play up to thier draft slot.

18. I don’t see Moore even being looked at by Seattle – He doesn’t have most of the things they want – big, agile, etc. He is smart which is what all teams want.

He doesn’t have the arm that Brees had or even Flutie had (I think) something that would help over come his size disadvantages. I just don’t see him as a fit here.

I am still curious how Osweiller jumped into the top 4 for ever QB. Early in the College season everyone was talking Foles and now nobody is. Not sure what caused him to fall and what Osweiller did (sure wasn’t game play) to move up. He catches me as the guy that everyone gets on the band wagon with and then doesn’t ever meet the hype

19. RDPoulsbo says:

My guess is Osweiller is one of those guys the national media have fallen in love with because of his strong arm and measurables, but have forgotten just how little experience he’s had in a very simplistic offense. Sure there’s potential, but significant risk that he never realizes that potential. It’s a legitimate question to wonder if he can fully grasp and command an NFL playbook.

20. Man, can we just pick up Flynn and be done with it. Grab some pass rushers and a wideout and call it good. It’s just as simple as that. I personally think it would be cool to be able to swoop up Polk too, wherever he slides down to, but obviously it’s not really a need, would still be cool though.

xcman – great question about Osweiller. Happens every year. I like Foles. He reminds me of a poor man’s Luck. I see them as very similar, only with Luck being that much better.

22. FleaFlicker says:

From the games I watched of Osweiler, didn’t strike me as a guy with a lot of good decision making. In his defense, he is 2″ taller than Charlie W. Therefore Combine Logic means that he will be awesome!

But speaking of a good decision maker named Kellen Moore, I don’t buy the “shortness” angle. OK, he’s 6′ even. But take a look at some of the lines he played behind; as a redshirt sophomore his line left-to-right was 6-4,6-2,5-11,6-4,6-4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Boise_State_Broncos_football_team#Roster.5B38.5D if you want to check).

And if you want to go SuperNerd for comparative stats, all 13 Seahawks O-line listed on the roster at ESPN are 6-3 or better; while the BSU O-line only has 11 of 17 players meeting that height threshold. It is college, after all.

We’re always busting TJ’s chops for bad decisions and forcing plays. I’ll take a shorter guy that makes his checkdowns without taking a stupid sack over an “athlete” or “leader” that can’t sustain drives. Maybe if the 6-2 TJ was 6-4 he’d be a substantially better QB? Doesn’t strike me as likely.

Ain’t saying that Moore is going to be The Man. But winning that many games, being that consistent, and going lifetime TD-INT ratio of 142-28………that’s got to indicate some level of promise worth a later round pick. I think he’s worth a shot. Just sayin’.

23. RDPoulsbo says:

I wouldn’t mind Moore in the lower rounds, or even Osweiller for that matter, but the key is lower rounds. Both guys have the potential to develop into guys other teams might want. By putting in the work to develop one of them, they could turn into higher picks in the future. Seattle needs to be producing Schaubs, Kolbs or Whitehursts themselves. It doesn’t matter if they pan out for other teams, just have enough development that other teams will pay to find out.

As for Moore’s height, it’s not like he’s a midget and the o-line shouldn’t be standing straight up while pass protecting either. In fact, it’s their job to stay low and keep the defense from getting up to block passes.

FleaFlicker – I appreciate the post, but Moore measured in at 5’8″, this week. That’s 2″ shorter than Flutie. It’s going to hurt his chances in the NFL.

25. tchristensen says:

From what I’ve read the owner of the Dolphins has an obsession to sign Peyton Manning, and, if Manning were to sign with Miami, we would hopefully be the front runners for Flynn. We could then draft Cousins or Moore as a development QB.

26. HawkfaninMT says:

Regarding Osweiler’s emergence, I think he would have been more discussed throughout the season if it were known he would enter the draft. During the 1st half of the season it appeared as though he would be returning for his senior year, as would Erickson. So not much to say about him. He has exploded onto the scene, so to speak, simply because he went against the grain and declared for the draft.

I see now that Moore is listed at 6′. I could have sworn I read 5’8″. I don’t know what the hell is going on.

28. azhawkman says:

I have always been a Boise State fan but I try not to be too much of a homer when it comes to having former players on the Seahawks. I do think though that the BEST scenario for our QB situation is to get Manning on an incentive-heavy deal and then take Moore in the 5th. He is little risk with great possible upside. I don’t think any other option out there in the 1st or 2nd is worth taking, except maybe Cousins in the 3rd if he falls that far.

Manning, if healthy and if the deal isn’t ridiculous amounts of guaranteed money, is the best option but if he can’t go I’d love to see if Moore could compete to win the job over TJack. Moore does a lot of things well that TJack doesn’t do, like anticipate, sense the pressure and step up/outside the pocket.

29. RDPoulsbo says:

If Moore measured in at 5’8″ that’s a different story. As you may have concluded, I’m not wasting my time watching the combine. I was figuring he was somewhere between 5’10″ – 6′. That’s probably why you see him dropping in mock drafts while others are going up.

30. SeahawkFan12 says:

Moore did not measure 5’8″, he measured 6″ even. And discussion of his “lesser competition” might offend TCU, Virgina Tech, Georgia, Oregon Arizona State and Oregon State and others considering he kicked their asses on his way to 50 wins over his career. Osweiler looked like a freshman when Moore came to town. I’d love to see Moore in a Seahawks uniform, later rounds or otherwise.

Are the Seahawks in a precarious situation concerning the qb position?

32. SandpointHawk says:

Moore is indeed 6’0″ and has won 50 games at Boise. Who else is a successful 6’0″ QB in the NFL that all the draft experts said was too short?

33. Would Moore survive with a blind side “protector” like Breno or Carp? It’s a good thing we paid Zach Miller a lot of money to be a good blocker! I never realized how much it costs to get a good blocking TE in the NFL these days, especially their importance in an offense with a left handed QB. lol

34. HawkyHann says:

Just playing about the Owens report from Clayton. Was laughing when I saw he scored 3TDs last night for some team called the Allen Wranglers.

I want Sidney to be good so hopefully he’ll get his body right.

Leroy smoking the kush again. Drugs, domestic abuse charges, dude just cant figure it out. From JS-” Thanks for your services, but we’re going in another direction.”

35. FleaFlicker says:

In defense of Leroy Hill, he was in his own home and minding his own business. Can’t blame a man for not anticipating a drug-dog sweep in his condo building.

The upside is that less league interest can help the Hawks keep Leroy on the roster for cheap.

36. LouieLouie says:

Brandon Weeden may be another QB worth looking at. It would take a high amount of tenacity to go back to college after trying pro baseball. He would have credibility in the locker room because he would be older than most of his teammates. He shows that “cool” attitude that some of the great ones have, plus he makes nice throws.

I haven’t seen much about his mobility, but some scouts rave about him. He should be available in round two, maybe even round three.

37. Just for fun picks: Poe, Mercilus, Keuchly?, Cousins, Hill (wr), Turbin? (rb), Moore at 7 or udfa.