Hawks add 4 new coaches, Will Lewis moves on

Post by Eric Williams on Feb. 14, 2012 at 8:20 pm with 16 Comments »
February 14, 2012 8:20 pm
Seattle Seahawks free safety Marquand Manuel looks on during the NFC championship football game against the Carolina Panthers in Seattle, Sunday, Jan. 22, 2006. The Seahawks take on the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XL on Sunday, Feb. 5, 2006 in Detroit. (AP Photo/John Froschauer)

The Seattle Seahawks hired four new head coaches to fill a couple positions left vacant with others moving on.

Keith Carter joins Seattle’s staff as a quality control coach on offense. Carter spent the last three seasons as the running game coordinator/offensive line coach for the University of San Diego, and played H-back at UCLA during the time that Seattle offensive line coach Tom Cable served as the Bruins offensive coordinator, graduating in 2005.

Carter replaces Luke Butkus, who took a job as the offensive line coach for his alma mater the University of Illinois.

Former Seahawks defensive back Marquand Manual returns to Seattle as the assistant special teams coach. Manuel spent eight seasons in the NFL, playing for six different teams, and was a starting safety for Seattle’s Super Bowl team in 2005.

He joins the Seahawks after spending last season as a coaching intern at his alma mater, the University of Florida. Manuel replaces Jeff Ulbrich, who took a job as special teams coach for former Seahawks head coach Jim Mora at UCLA.

Two other new coaches, assistant special teams coach John Glenn and coaching intern for the defensive line Kenechi Udeze join the Seahawks from the University of Washington’s staff.

Glenn served as a quality control coach for the Huskies in 2011, while Udeze worked as Washington’s assistant strength coach.

Also, Rocky Seto moved from assistant defensive backs coach to defensive passing game coordinator.

Vice president of football operations Will Lewis also recently left the team. Lewis had been with the Seahawks for 12 years, and was recently promoted from pro personnel director to his last position with Seattle once general manager John Schneider took over in February 2010. But the addition of Scot McCloughan from San Francisco as a senior personnel executive made the team top-heavy at that position.

Coaching Staff

Welcome back, Marquand. I liked him. Let’s hope he can help improve some of the coverage breakdowns from last year.

I remember when Manuel went down in Superbowl XL and Etric pruitt came into replace him. Manuel was playing very well in the playoffs that year.

3. RDPoulsbo says:

He’s just going to be an assistant ST coach, but I can see a future promotion here. Marquand may not have had all the physical tools, but he certainly was smart enough to know what the offense was doing and seldom out of position. That’s some good knowledge he could teach to the secondary.

4. Come on Eric! How could you fail to mention the most important fact about the other new assistant special teams coach? He was the first person ever to break the sound barrier and to orbit the earth! “Got a stick of Beemans?”

5. ryanryan says:

anybody know where I can find a decent description of how EXACTLY the rookie payscale works?

ryanryan – I have tried to post a link for you twice now, but it’s not posting. Issues with the site I imagin. I’ll try again later.

7. ryanryan says:

@duke – thank you, i’m very curious to see what the effects will be on our salary cap with the “known” cost of our picks.

8. yakimahawk says:

Being my anal self…I went throught the last 33 years of Super Bowl winning QB’s and found that over 60 percent came from the 1st round with a total of 33 perecent being the 1st pick in the draft…6 percent came in the second round 16 percent in the 3rd-4th round and the rest later which is skewed mostly by Brady and Warner…Out of the 33 years there are 21 diffrent winners and the avereage is 2nd round mid point…Basically if you take out Montana and Brady you better get your QB in the first round if you can…CRAP I hate it wen Bobby K is right(HAHA)…Mortgage all picks and get Luck or RG3 or sign Manning if he can play..These stats were eye popping!!

9. Marquand Manuel was a real asset to the team in 2005. Glad he’s back!

ryanryan – Still wont let me post the link, but here is the crux of it:

“Under the new plan, all first-round selections will now sign a four-year contract and have an option for the fifth year.  It can get a little confusing if the team exercises the option for the fifth year.  Players picked within the top 10 will be paid the average of the top 10 highest-paid players in that position.  Picks 11-32 will be paid the average of the 3rd to 25th highest-paid players at their position”

11. bigmike04 says:

The Chicago Bears could show interest in Seattle Seahawks impending free-agent LB David Hawthorne because his ability to play all three linebacker positions in a 4-3 defensive alignment.

12. I would not be surprised if Hawthorne was not back next year. He has played well for us, but he was not running well at all last year. I know he had knee trouble all year, but it is reminding me of Lofa’s decline. At field level, you can really see his issues. Linebackers with leg issues are a problem. I think either Hawthorne or Hill are back with Leroy Hill being the most likely.

13. nidhighe says:

What is a “defensive passing game coordinator”? I mean, it sounds obvious what it means, but how does that work with Bradley as DC and now Seto as DPGC?

–Danielle

14. I like Heater and would like him resigned. However, I think he’s only worth so much so if another team is willing to give him more, then that kind of makes the decision for you. Sure, he’s a good, solid player, but I see lots of teams with soon-to-be free agents who are also good, solid players.

15. Hawthorne is probably a little under appreciated in the Hawks community. You don’t have to think back very far in our history to recall a time when LB was our constant weakness. We’ve probably been a little spoiled lately at the position.

It’s easy to think of Hawthorne as an aging guy who is breaking down on us, but he is only 26 years old and he isn’t undersized for the position like Tatupu. There have been many instances of players who have been hurt early in a season, toughed it out for the team (shows how much he was valued) and their play and numbers have suffered as a result.

I’d imagine if his knees are okay (it’s not some degenerative condition) we’ll gladly have him back. I think the same about Leroy Hill. I don’t think it’s an either/or type of thing. I think veterans in the middle of the field is important for this team.

By the way, if you would have told me a few years ago that Leroy Hill would be one of the only players to survive the rebuilding phase in Seattle I would have stolen your drugs.

16. ryanryan says:

@dukeshire – I understand that part, but where do the dollar values come from? Why did 1st pick make 22M, 2nd 20, third 19 and so forth (dollar values are ‘thereabout’ in my example). I read that it has to do with total dollars allocated for rookie wages depending on where and how many picks you have, but that is confusing and the cba didn’t really have any examples with numbers or my eyes glazed over before it got to that part. I’m sure it has to do with total league revenue – but nobody has come right out and said what the salary will (or likely) be for each pick this coming year…perhaps the revenue hasn’t been tallied yet but there has to be some kind of an idea or the gm’s and salary cap experts would be have slippery footing at best. It doesn’t seem realistic to start the league year without knowing that information. There is also some interesting rules governing trading picks that has to do with the allocated ‘rookie’ money that is a little confusing as well.

I spent about 10 minutes yesterday reading the rookie pay scale portion of the cba and came to the conclusion that I wasn’t ready to be an nfl general manager, which is hilarious because normally I feel like I would be terriffic at it…perhaps we all do!

I clearly don’t understand…but i want to.