Morning links: Gutsy coaches

Post by Eric Williams on Jan. 30, 2012 at 11:46 am with 22 Comments »
January 30, 2012 11:48 am
Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll at Qwest Field in Seattle, Saturday, Jan. 8, 2011. Ingrid Barrentine/Staff photographer

I thought Jim Armstrong’s piece for Football Outsiders attempting to measure an Aggressiveness Index among NFL coaches was an interesting read this morning.

Armstrong says that most statistical analysts who follow the game believe that NFL coaches should go for it more on fourth down because the percentages say they should.

The Aggressiveness Index ranks coaches based on how often they go for it on fourth downs. Seattle head coach Pete Carroll finished 10th overall, which sounds about right.

It’s interesting that the top two coaches on the list, Jacksonville’s Mel Tucker and Steve Spagnuolo, are no longer with their perspective teams – the risk/reward of going for it on fourth down and not converting enough is unemployment.

Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch (24), of the NFC, flips the football over to Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton while being tackled by Cincinnati Bengals defensive tackle Geno Atkins (97) of the AFC in the third quarter of an NFL football Pro Bowl game Sunday, Jan. 29, 2012, in Honolulu. (AP Photo/Eugene Tanner)

Marshawn Lynch finished with 43 yards on eight carries in the AFC’s 59-41 win over the NFC in the Pro Bowl.

Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that former Seahawks head personnel man Tim Ruskell has been relieved of his duties as the Bears player personnel director by the team’s new general manager Phi Emery.

Jared Ainsworth of the Beaumont Enterprise writes that Seattle safety Earl Thomas’ success in the NFL has given his mother Debbie the ability to retire from her job as an educator for 28 years, which she did last week.

Former Seahawks receiver Bobby Engram joins the University of Pittsburgh’s staff as the team’s receivers coach.

KJR’s Mike Gastineau and Elise Woodard talks with Seattle cornerback Richard Sherman from Hawaii last week in this audio link.

Morning links
  1. Sounds like Emery knows what he’s doing.

2. chuck_easton says:

Let’s take the usual “player X just got released…should we consider bringing them in?” thread to its ridiculous extreme. I’ll take the hit:

Tim Ruskell just got fired. Should Seattle consider hiring him for their front office? :)

That ought to get a few people’s blood boiling!

3. 49′s getting in trouble :

MIAMI (AP) — San Francisco 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith was charged Saturday with driving under the influence in Miami Beach.

See if he is dumb enough to do it again.

4. @chuck

That is just sick humor. I love it.

5. Ruskell prefers older players, so I’m pretty sure he could bring us Manning. Let’s just hope he’s stayed in shape all these years.

Could you imagine Allen bringing back Ruskell? Exactly.

I’ve heard about this “feather trim” for the new ‘Hawk unis also. I pray it’s not true. I cannot imagine just how awful that would look. I think to how silly U of O looks with theirs.

7. I am totally okay with a new helmet but I want Silver Pants (main color) back!!

8. I imagine these are not real ideas, but i think the second one is pretty bad ass.

A little new with a little old. It’ll be interesting to see how much they change them. Agreed Duke, not a fan of Oregons “outfits”.

9. chuck_easton says:

I’m only OK with feathers on the uniform if they use real feathers! None of this faux feathers like Oregon. Real feathers or nothing.

Let’s see what the swoosh can do with THAT idea.

I do know (or have it from a reliable source) that no NFL teams will be going to the pro-combat uniforms. And one thing that’s interesting, is that when Carroll took over at USC and they went to Nike, he had a direct hand in returning their unis back to their classic look. Hopefully he’ll have similar input here.

Chuck – the team could place additional feathers for good plays. Guys like Thomas or Kam would be racing around with massive war bonnets flowing behind them.

12. I am a Wazzu Coug fan that lives here in Portland (Duck land), and think the Duck uniforms are really bad looking, a lot of their so called uniforms have no school colors? Please no feathers on the new Hawk uniforms…

dacmike – I’m down here in Portland with you, and couldn’t agree more.

14. I don’t know about feathers on the helmets…how about tomahawks?

I heard a sound bite this morning…not exactly sure of the context…but another player at the pro-bowl, referring to Chance, said “I don’t always know where he is but I know that lunatic is out there somewhere”.

15. Talking about aggressive football…Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel had a fantastic story about a HS football team that never punts, and rarely loses. The coach has stats that favor always going for it, and not letting the other team get the ball. When they do kick, it is always on-side, and they usually recover. When the other team kicks to them, they turn and run off the field. It is on again tomorrow at 5PM on HBO on DirecTV. If you can stand Gumball, it is a great segment.

16. feather trim, awesome. Seriously, that would be ridiculous, go retro or keep it relatively the same (don’t even think about that lime green BS), no stupid ass feathers. Oregon’s unis are so annoying to look at.

17. Oregon’s uniforms are poorly designed, so they’re a poor benchmark. I think feathers could look really good if they’re cool looking and make sense in the overall design.

18. I don’t know why they can’t just go retro with the silver pants/helmets and keep the current logo!

19. Ruskell would make sure we’d get a stud long-snapper later in the draft! He’d probably stack the fullback position with later round picks too.

20. raymaines says:

I like blue helmets but don’t like feathers. I also don’t like the idea of little stickers for good plays. I think blue pants and white jerseys / silver pants with blue jerseys would be pretty cool. The green is just so weird that I kind of like it too.

21. ryanryan says:

I really like our uniforms the way the are, except when we are the away team I think we should still wear the blue pants.