Morning links: The Sound and the Fury

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 1, 2011 at 7:58 am with 18 Comments »
September 1, 2011 7:59 am
Seattle Seahawks receiver Mike Williams. (Joe Barrentine/TNT)

They’ve become a regular sideshow in practice so much that they could go out and get their own act a nightclub in Seattle – coming to a theater new year the Mike Williams and Earl Thomas show.

Dave Boling of The News Tribune provides the details of the two player’s running conversations during practice in today’s offering, which is definitely worth a read.

Seattle Seahawks safety Earl Thomas. (Ellen Banner/The Seattle Times)

“To clarify, nobody in the franchise wields a sharper needle than linebackers coach Ken Norton Jr., whose comments between plays can buckle the knees of a strong man at 50 paces.

“Be they comical, constructive or critical, Norton is the all-time heavyweight champion of the spontaneous remark.

“But for intramural mockery, scorn and feigned contempt, Williams and Thomas may be the best tandem the Seahawks have had in a long time.

“If it seems like practice is going slow, I’ll say something to Mike because he’s going to bite and take the bait every time,” Thomas said after practice Wednesday. “I joke with him, ‘Hey, 1-7, you practicin’ today … you’re finally on the field?’ Oh, he doesn’t like that.”

Thomas chuckled at his favorite barb, knowing that it gets to Williams.

“Yeah, I’ve been fighting injuries this whole camp,” Williams said. “So he always falls back on something like, ‘I don’t want to talk to you … you don’t even practice.’ ”

My story today focuses on the defense, which has quietly performed well during exhibition play.

I also talked to Mitch Levy about how the Seahawks look heading into the final preseason game. You can check out that audio link here.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com gives us some more news and notes from Wednesday’s practice, including a bit more detail on Doug Baldwin’s 105-yard kickoff return for a touchdown.

More Farnsworth: He says Saturday provides one more opportunity for Seattle to address the team’s offensive line issues.

ESPN’s Mike Sando also was at practice on Wednesday and provides some thoughts on what he saw.

ESPN’s John Clayton ranks Tarvaris Jackson 30th among NFL quarterbacks.

From the Associated Press, the signing of Zach Miller looms large because of John Carlson’s shoulder injury.

John Boyle of the Everett Herald writes about receiver Doug Baldwin’s impressive training camp, which could lead to a spot on Seattle’s final roster. Boyle’s story includes an interesting anecdote on how Baldwin found his way to Stanford.

Clark Judge of CBS Sports lists the Seahawks as one of his five teams on the way down.

Chris Burke of Sports Illustrated previews the NFC West.

Morning links
  1. Audible says:

Sounds like Durham has been stepping it up this past week. Look forward to seeing him tomorrow night.

2. Enjoyed your column very much, Dave Boling. It’s nice to see some personalities emerge on the Seahawks, Pretty boring if everybody is quiet. I miss Hass — he’s one of the few athletes who can actually be funny on cue. BMW is my current favorite Seahawk and I’m hoping for big things from him.

3. chuck_easton says:

While Friday’s game will be a diversion I’m more excited about Saturday to see who’s in, who’s out, and who will we be caught off guard either way.

After Saturday we are just into a season where nobody on the National scene is expecting anything from us. I like years like that. If we finish last in the Division it was expected, if we win a few we ‘shouldn’t have’ it’s gravy. Win/win for this year.

I’m not going to get overly upset with this season’s win/loss record as long as there is improvement on the field. I’m more gearing myself to 2012/2013 as our time to shine.

4. Cornutt says:

Robert Gallery should pop Clark Judge right in the grill. I’d like that.

Also, funny to me that they are recognizing that Carpenter isnt playing well, so they’re threatening to replace him, or at least make him “compete”. Why not do that with our starting QB as well?

5. John Clayton seems to have a broad definition of what an elite QB is: “Elite quarterbacks are the ones who usually make the playoffs, so I categorize the elites as the ones who give their franchises the best chance. The league has 12 playoff spots, and usually 10 or 11 of the elite quarterbacks fill those positions. To be elite, a quarterback must have 4,000-yard potential, complete 60 percent of his passes and score more than 20 points a game.”

By that definition, Hass was elite for at least a few years.

On another note, it looks like Lockette is a lock to make the practice squad. He could supplant Tate on the roster next season.

Man, I love Earl Thomas. Good piece, Dave.

Chuck – I agree with everything you said. This season is more about the future than the present and despite all the hangwringing, the future is bright here, as I see it.

Saturday will be a huge game for Baldwin. He’s in a great position to make this team. So long as he doesn’t put the ball on the ground either receiving or returning and doesn’t make any mental errors, he’s going to make it. But at this stage, it only take one mistake to give them a reason to cut you.

7. Audible says:

FYI The game is FRIDAY!

Friday rather, of course. Thanks

9. Audible says:

“Why not do that with our starting QB as well?”

Because he’s like a cute little puppy we rescued from the Minnesota Humane Society. They kicked him around up there and were really really really mean to him, so he gets lots of pats and a couple million extra doggy bones down here.

10. Cornutt says:

That’s just hurtful. Hold your heads high, puppies of the world. It wasn’t a fair comparison!

11. chuck_easton says:

Oh, and you could have used a few more really’s in there. I don’t think there were enough to really really really REALLY make your point.

12. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

“But the Seahawks are confident in Hawthorne and more than satisfied with their third linebacker, budding star Aaron Curry.”

Burke is a moron!

13. chuck_easton says:

ACIB,

Stranger things have happened. Maybe this is the year! Maybe I win the lottery and quit my practice. Maybe the Mayan calendar is correct and none of this matters after December of 2012. Stay tuned.

14. Yeah, not really!

15. I wonder why good QBs never get jerked around — maybe b/c they are good and there’s no need to jerk them around? Mean Brad Childress must have been a jerk. And Favre was a jerk for making up his mind at the wrong times. There were other jerks too. It’s always some other jerks fault and never the man in the mirror. The world isn’t fair. I think I need a pat on the back, too. Will anyone give me a hug? I need encouragement or I might cry.

Word of the post: jerk

16. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

I kind of wish we’d brought Favre out of retirement. He’s also played in Bevell’s offense, but unlike Jackson he has actually excelled.

17. Cornutt says: