Morning links: Mr. Versatility

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 26, 2011 at 8:26 am with 14 Comments »
August 26, 2011 8:26 am
Seattle Seahawks safety Josh Pinkard. (Joe Barrentine/TNT)

With Kam Chancellor out with a foot injury, safety Josh Pinkard will get his first career start against Denver on Saturday.

Pinkard suffered three different anterior cruciate ligament injuries at USC – two in his left knee and one in his right – but diligently rehabilitated and recovered from those setbacks to get back on the field.

Pinkard hopes to fill a role left vacant when Seattle did not re-sign veteran defensive back Jordan Babineaux – a versatile performer who played cornerback, safety and special teams.

Pinkard is part of a fierce battle for a roster spot at safety that includes veteran Atari Bigby, along with fifth-round draft pick Mark LeGree and undrafted free agent Jeron Johnson.

“It feels good just getting out there and getting a feel for it,” Pinkard said. “It’s always good to go out there and make plays because it builds your confidence, so it turned out really well for me.”

Tim Booth of the Associated Press talks to offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and Tarvaris Jackson about the goals for the offense heading into the Denver game.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com writes about Seattle’s talented tight end group.

More Farnsworth: Notes from Thursday’s practice.

Check out the full-length presser with Coach Pete Carroll from Thursday down below.

August 25, 2011 - Carroll Press Conference from Seattle Seahawks on Vimeo.

John Boyle of the Everett Herald says the Seahawks expect big things from Walter Thurmond.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times looks at the Red Bryant affect.

Dave Wyman of ESPN 710 Seattle does not like the new safety rules regarding hitting defenseless players by the NFL, which led to a $20,000 fine leveled on Denver safety Rahim Moore against Buffalo receiver Donald Jones.

Matt Bowen of the National Football Post explains why the third preseason game is the most important one of exhibition play.

Don Banks of Sports Illustrated discusses the quarterback battles throughout the league, including Seattle. Banks thinks the competition between Whitehurst and Jackson will remain a front burner issue.

Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch talks with KJR’s Mitch Levy in this audio link. This is classic Lynch. It’s worth a listen.

Morning links
  1. jarred767 says:

This start is huge for Pinkard, he could solidify his spot on the roster with a great performance. Cutting one or two of these six safeties might be one of the toughest decisions of roster cuts, I wouldn’t be surprised if they all stayed through the first round of cuts so the four back-ups (Pinkard, Bigby, Johnson and Legree) can get extensive action in the 4th game.

I don’t even know who I’m rooting for in this battle as all of the guys have things to really like about them. It’ll be a big next two weeks four these four guys – make or break time!

2. Who thought when we picked up Legree, that he might not make the team? or even that he could possibly clear waivers to still land on our practice squad? That may not happen though, but his name hasn’t been mentioned at all. Bigby has also not looked as good as would have been expected. Pinkard and Johnson, I think, have been the two biggest surprises and actually done the best aside from Kam and the occasional mention of ET.

Legree has been quiet, but again, he’s been at FS not SS.

4. Why don’t Offensive players get fined. I think the Defensive players should file a grievence or a suit against the NFL.

5. chuck_easton says:

The problem is the players want to make the game safer. The players sue the NFL for concussions after their career is over. The players say the new rules will extend their careers.

Then when the NFL consents and starts cracking down on hits that used to be legal the players and the fans complain that the NFL front office has too much power to levy fines and they are trying to turn the sport into flag football.

The league and the refs can’t win.

6. Sorry xcman, but I think we’ve had enough of that crap for the year. They do need to start calling more penalties and such on those guys though. I saw a facemask penalty get called on an offensive lineman last week. I thought that was a good call and so did the commentators.

7. SeahawkFan12 says:

This is awesome for Pinkard. Didn’t know that about his knees, but I really hope both he and Jeron Johnson make the Seahawks final roster.

8. Ewalters7354 says:

I don’t expect Bigby to look good right away.He just got signed a week ago.We know what he can do though so I believe he would have to bum out big time to not make the team.

9. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

The league doesn’t care about safety, they’re just pretending to so they can eventually push an 18 game season.

10. bird_spit says:

Classic Marshaun. If you mess with Forsett, “then you got to deal with me.”

Got to love what the hawks are doing. I always wanted to see a run game with attitude in Seattle. Marshaun brings it.

11. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

I always thought Pinkard and his teammate Shareece Wright were flying under the radar as NFL prospects…think Wright went to SD surprisingly early, like the 3rd…glad we got Pinkard though.

12. Soggybuc says:

Tough kid and a great story.

13. Sarcasticus says:

I would love to see a vid of Red’s dunk.

14. confucious says:

I would trade better running ability for attitude from Marshaun in a second. I like the kid, I just wish he’d open his eyes in the backfield. Justin and Leon seem to have much better vision.