Morning links: Rating Seattle’s runners

Post by Eric Williams on June 1, 2011 at 8:56 am with 36 Comments »
June 1, 2011 8:56 am

Pat Kirwan of the NFL Network ranks the best running backs in the league, and two Seattle Seahawks make an appearance on the list.

Marshawn Lynch comes in at No. 19 overall, and Justin Forsett also makes an appearance at No. 36.

Here’s what Kirwan had to say about Lynch: “Just look at the epic run he had in the playoffs last year and ask yourself how many players could duplicate that effort.”

And on Forsett: “A situational player who is shifty. Coaches tell me he is underrated.”

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com takes a look at the 1996 season, highlighted by then-owner Ken Behring trying to move the team to Southern Califorina.

ESPN’s John Clayton says Charlie Whitehurst is dropping the ball for not taking a leadership role in getting players together for offseason workouts.

Terry McCormick of the Nashville City Paper writes about Jake Locker’s first practice with his Tennessee Titan teammates. He also notes that Locker has been workout with Matt Hasselbeck at the University of Washington a couple times a week back in Seattle – and the two have forged a friendship. Hasselbeck is a potential candidate to land in Tennessee as a bridge quarterback to let Locker get ready.

Former NFL quarterback Ryan Leaf is recovering in a California hospital after having a benign tumor removed from his brain.

Andrew Brandt of the National Football Post offers a preview to Friday’s court proceedings between NFL owners and players the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, calling it sadly the most important date on the NFL calendar.

Somehow, the NFL is ahead of 2010’s pace for ticket sales.

The Sporting News offers 100 reasons to still love football during the lockout.

According to Aaron Schatz of Football Outsiders, Seahawks safety Jordan Babineaux is among the league leaders in pass defeats.

Mike Tanier of Football Outsiders takes an interesting look at empty sets in third and short situations, and what the success rate is compared to more traditional formations. It’s worth a read if you’re looking to scratch your football itch this morning. But he doesn’t really identify the reason teams go to empty set – to get teams into a vanilla defense and better identify where the blitz is coming from.

And today’s report would not be complete without a link to our Ryan Divish getting some love from his hometown in Montana documenting his rise from the quaint hamlet of Havre, Mont. population 9,621, to Mariners beat writer, along with serving as an antagonizing yet humorous presence on this blog.

Take a look at the video below.

Morning links
  1. SeahawkFan12 says:

Not to pile on (I will anyway), but it does not surprise me Whitehurst has dropped the ball in taking a leadership role in the offseason. It is by no means a requirement, but it ways a lot about him (read into it as you will–work ethic issue, character issue, leadership failure… whatever) that he has not stepped up. Even Hasselbeck, with no contract, has done some work with Seahawks players locally. This is big reason why I do not see CW as a franchise QB. Nice backup, but he’ll always be Clipboard Jesus. It is the little things that tell a lot, particularly in pro sports.

2. SeahawkFan12 says:

Divish, CONGRATS on the highlight piece! That is cool, and quite an honor. “You don’t get to have a beer in the pressbox…”…hilarious! Thanks for doing great work for TNT, Divish!

3. I am sorry for calling you an idiot Blocis, I shouldn’t have taken it to a personal level. I just really have a problem with the opinion you expressed. I think that it is myopic and idiotic. Does anyone else on here really think that players are just “lucky” to play in the NFL and should be happy with whatever the owners, who would collude to some degree in this scenario, are willing to pay them without collective bargaining???? Opinions are like a*(holes I guess.

Chuck, I don’t think that you understood my point. Or maybe you did if you are serious about supporting the team if they had my “fat ass”, my ass is not fat by the way, at quarterback and you were not just exaggerating. My point is that the reason we watch the NFL is that they maintain a level of play. They do things that the average person cannot do on a football field. It’s the reason you don’t pay hundreds of dollars to watch a high school football game. You get the point? I didn’t mean you jump ship when your team is bad. The first season I started liking the Seahawks was 1992. That should tell you if I am a fair weather fan or not. If people just enjoyed watching sports and the level of play made no difference then why is the YMCA not packed with paying spectators for their pick up basketball games? Because most of us want to see something we can’t do! Maybe your the one in a million that will just support a team because you have some need to be a part of something no matter what like someone in the Hitler Youth? And the 2005 super bowl DB’s were Trufant, Marquand Manuel, probably spelled his first name wrong, Boulware, and that one bum named Herndon that was playing for the injured Andre Dyson. That’s off the top of my head.

Georgia, my point was not about players versus team. I root for both but the team takes precedence. My point is that there would be no NFL if there was not a minimum standard of play that was far above what average joes could do. And yes there have been more NFL players than billionaires but, nobody wants to pay to watch a billionaire do his job. And guess what? There would probably be 0 billionaires in the world right now if our tax money had not bailed out the financial system in 2008!

4. sherminator says:

It appears to me that most NFL players are practicing with other players close to their off-season homes. There are some examples of players flying somewhere else to practice, but most of those I have seen are to be with players they want to work with rather than teammates. I don’t know why we should expect CW to come to Seattle to organize practices, when there is no reasonable expectation that enough other players would show up to make it worthwhile.

5. bayareahawkfan says:

CW – like many other players around the league – is practicing in the south somewhere with a bunch of other (non-Seahawks-specific) players including AJ Green, I thought I read.

Also, I thought maybe Kris Durham was working out with him, which would make sense if it’s happening in Georgia.

Really, I think Hass’s taking the lead on organizing workouts and Whitehurst not isn’t ultimately surprising, and means to me that on some level Hass, the front office, and teammates expect him to be back.

6. Nice feature on Ryan. It’s a rare occasion when a print guy is featured on a TV news broadcast.

By the way, Eric, Kirwan doesn’t rank Lynch as No. 19 and Forsett as No. 36. He puts them within each group in alphabetical order. So Lynch could be as high as 16.

Would anyone here trade Lynch for the higher-ranked Cedric Benson? I wouldn’t. But other than that, the rankings seem reasonable.

Next week on Seahawks.com: Clare Farnsworth profiles Joe Manley, the undrafted player who almost made the roster of the 1983 team. Don’t miss it!

7. I’ve been a big CW supporter all along, if for no other reason than he hasn’t had much of a chance to fail until now.

He really has blown a great opportunity to step up and take the reins in Seattle, as the aire apparent to Hasselbeck, and the only QB under contract.

If CW had the leadership skills we need in a QB, he wouldn’t have had a problem motivating players to show up for practice. At the very least, he should be working out with all of our receivers somewhere, if not in Seattle.

8. SeahawkFan12 says:

Audible, exactly.

9. chuck_easton says:

natedog,

I’m glad to hear about the state of your hindquarters! :)

My point is that while I agree that the players are great, they can and will be replaced. For every player that makes an NFL roster there are 4 or 5 others that are just as good but, for whatever reason, they do not stick. If these 1800 current players all vanished from the face of the earth tomorrow there would be 1800 more that would step in and would play football at very near the same level.

There really are only about 4 or 5 exceptional players (at most) on each team and the rest are just warm bodies that could have been replaced by some other warm body. Not MY warm body mind you, but some warm body.

When Montana left the 9rs the team continued and his replacement followed him right into the HOF. When Unitis retired the Colts kept going. Today’s stars are tomorrows ESPN talking heads and Hair Club for Men pitchmen. They will be replaced and the game will go on.

If/when Hasselbeck leaves the Seahawks another QB will step in and I will continue to watch the team.

That is why I am not pro-player right now. These guys have this idea that they are all irreplaceable and that they should get exactly what and how much they want. Well they are replaceable.

The GAME isn’t. If there is no more draft, if teams can’t trade players, if there are no rules about how many players each team can have, if there are no limits on how much certain ‘win at any costs and let’s buy a Lombardi trophy” owner can pay to ensure that his team has all the best players while the other teams fight for scraps, if other team’s can field a bare minimum team and pay their players next to nothing, then football as I know and love it will cease to exist.

Look at baseball where you have the Yankees and the Redsox with $100 million player salaries while the Pirates and Royals barely have $20 million in player salarys. When was the last time the Yankees and Redsox weren’t fighting for the AL East crown? Most years the loser in that battle gets the wildcard. When was the last time the Pirates or Royals even made the post season?

I don’t think many Americans know this but the Salary cap in the CFL is roughly $30 million per team. Yet the stadiums are filled every game. The top player on the team (Usually the QB, go figure some things never change) makes around $400,000.00 per season. Most CFL players have other jobs. I know of one player that plays for the Stampeders who goes to work at his investment firm every day, leaves work to go to practice and then goes back to work after football practice is over.

NFL players have a sense of entitlement. This is why most NFL players are bankrupt within a few years of leaving the game. They just assume that because they are gifted atheletes the money will be there.

I’d rather pay my money to watch 53 guys wearing the Seahawks Uniform that WANT to be there and are happy to be playing football than these spoiled gansta wannabe’s, that currently infest NFL rosters.

So to answer your question, yes, if you were the next QB for the Seahawks I’d still come out and pay my money to watch you.

10. Fair enough Chuck! Sadly, you probably would be sorely disappointed in my play. I know the players have their faults but, I do not think it is their side that is trying to change the economics of the game in a time of unprecedented profits and prosperity. If they were striking I might feel differently. They have the worst deal of any of the major sports and they play in the most violent game. I just want this BS to end!!!!!

I think Clayton is a bit off the mark here. CW has been “organizing” workouts with several players in Georgia. Durham has said that CW has given him a head start on other rookies by by going over the playbook and otherwise preparing him. And as Hass himself has said it’s not as though many players live in the area to have workouts with. Now, if you want to make the argument that he ought to be living here and organizing players to come into town, something not even Hass is doing (that would be Williams) then I’ll listen to that. But don’t say he failing as a leader completely because he’s getting people together away from Seattle.

12. Audible says:

CW is not getting the right people together…that’s the point. Working out with receivers from other teams doesn’t help us at all. Durham is there because he’s local, and he was working out with CW prior to the draft, so he doesn’t really count. We need MW, Carlson, OBO, etc…catching passes from CW too. And, it’s not like he can’t afford to rent a condo in Seattle somewhere.

Jake Locker just came down to Tennessee to workout with the Titan players after working out with Hasselbeck for awhile. Could this be a clue that Hasselbeck may be thinking about mentoring Locker? Unfortunately I have a feeling that we are going to lose Hasselbeck and be stuck with C.W.
    I could see how hasselbeck would want to mentor Locker over competing with C.W., who appears to already lack some leadership qualities. besides there would be no pressure on Hasselbeck and Locker. Hasselbeck would know that he is the starter for at least a year or two, and Locker wouldn’t have to be thrown into the Wolves.

If the Seahawks want to sign Hasselbeck then they are going to have to anti up to him because the longer this Lock out lasts the higher Hasselbecks value will become.

14. pabuwal says:

Chuck – I don’t see how the CFL salary cap is $30 million per team and the highest paid player is “only” at $400k, unless each CFL team has 100 players.

Hass isn’t working with only Seahawks. He’s said that players from as many as 6 teams are sometimes around because they are all they have up here. It’s not as though Tate, Williams and Obo are here. Of course I’d like to see CW working with Carlson but I’m going to stop short of saying that he’s failed in some way.

The salary cap in the CFL is around $4 million per team. A far cry from $30 million. This reminds me of the few times that I just shot from the hip without looking up the facts. lol.

17. chuck_easton says:

pabuwal,

Sorry, salary cap $4.07 million with a salary floor of $3.7 million. I misplaced the 0 there.

18. chuck_easton says:

GeorgaHawk,

Thanks for the correction. I hate when I put that decimal point in the wrong place.

I’m not an accountant. We have a saying in law “I don’t do math, that’s why I’m a lawyer”.

19. I’m not that excited about the player workouts. It probably does establish some camaraderie, but I don’t think it will make that much difference if and when the season comes around. It’s more PR than anything else. The players should re-form the union and get back to the bargaining table. Conceivably if they did so, the lockout would be ended. As for Charlie, I don’t think he’s established enough credibility to be calling such a practice. It’s good that he’s throwing with Durham.

20. chuck_easton says:

pabuwal,

To further illustrate the differences in CFL and NFL salaries:

2010 Cap of $4.25 with a floor of $3.9 million

Minimum CFL salary $44,000.00
    Highest paid CFL player in 2010 Casey Printers $500,000.00 (QB BC Lions/Hamiltion Tigercats)

18 game regular season with 2 pre-season games (20 games played per year)

When the Calgary Stampeders played the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the Western Division finals last season there were just over 35,000 fans in attendance at McMahon Stadium (capacity).

21. williambryan says:

I agree with Duke about CW. There is a lot of uncertainty with the team let alone the league. The lockout could be resolved this week (unlikely but possible) and then minicamps would presumably start and all these workouts would be moot. You also have to take into account the fact that if a player gets hurt they are in danger of losing money from there contracts or not even getting contracts. Having said that I would love it if CW would stay up here and demand guys come in to work with him. However, we dont know the dynamics of the situation. Maybe Carroll has instructed the team not to do it? who knows, but for now I’m giving all these guys the benefit of the doubt.

chuck_easton- Your post was one of the best that I have seen for explainining how the average fan feels vs team and players. You are right in saying that a Seahawks fan will always follow the team despite player movement.
    As a long time Seahawks fan I can assure that we have been through tougher times than we are going through now.

23. pabuwal says:

Chuck – its the same as the guys at the big, prestigious law firms getting paid 10-50x the ones at smaller, less prestigious law firms.

This type of disparity between upper and lower ends is the credit bubble economy we live in.

If Chuck’s firm generates 10 – 50x the revenue of amother firm, would’t he deserve to be compensated accordingly?

25. The scab game in ’87 was actually quite exciting. Won in the last seconds with a bomb (I think) from one unknown to another. Chuck Knox’s no-names vs. Don Shula’s no-names. There’s always a way to make it interesting. Wasn’t blacked out.

Explainining? Lol. How can I explain that? My excuse is that the heat index is now over 100 here in Georgia.

Don’t feel bad; “amother” and “would’t” in the same sentence… Only it’s 58 and drizzle here in Oregon.

Hey Divish, why is it pronounced Have-Er and not Harv? I mean, it’s Brett Favre (Farv) not Brett Fave-Er… How many #4 jerseys do you have in your closet anyway? (Seriously, cool piece.)

29. CW’s leadership swagger is not a light switch nor is he direct wired to be always “on”. Trying to lead is often faced with indifference when your body of work says “back-up”. When the coach says you get to compete for the #1 job it means you are not the current leader asof now. Who follows that?

South Alaska factors on top of the above makes it unsuprising that Charlie is not carpe diem-izing the momment.

30. ugh, moment.

31. maddog12 says:

ESPN Chris Mortenson and Shefter report secret talks in Chicago between players and owners on eve of court hearing.

Get ‘er done boys. And this time let’s hope it’s actually a deal both sides are truly happy with. The last thing we need is another labor issue two years into another new deal.