Morning links: Luck needed for Hawks in 2011

Post by Eric Williams on April 20, 2011 at 9:54 am with 55 Comments »
April 20, 2011 9:54 am

According to our own John McGrath of the Tacoma News Tribune, when the NFL released the regular-season schedule on Tuesday, they should have written in pencil because of the ongoing labor dispute between owners and players.

McGrath also writes the Seattle Seahawks will need a lot of luck in 2011, with four of their first six games away from home, including three teams that beat them handily last year.

McGrath:

It’s possible the Seahawks could break training camp with more depth and talent than the 7-9 team, which took best-of-show honors last season in the kennel club otherwise known as the NFC West, and still limp into their Oct. 16 bye date with a losing record through five games.

And if they stumble out of the gate at San Francisco, a 1-4 start isn’t out of the question.

The remainder of the schedule will be highlighted by the Seahawks’ return to prime time: a Dec. 1 Thursday night game against the Eagles, followed by a Dec. 12 Monday night game against the Rams – both at Qwest Field.

If there’s a heart of the artichoke to the 2011 schedule, it’s those back-to-back opportunities for the 12th Man to make a difference on national TV, with 10 days between the games for fans to soothe their vocal cords.

Michael Irvin of the NFL Network says in this video that he believes Seattle can repeat as NFC West champions.

Mike Sando of ESPN breaks down Seattle’s schedule here.

Jim Moore of Seattlepi.com catches up with Matt Hasselbeck at former head coach Jim Mora’s charity bowling event. Hasselbeck remains hopeful he can get a deal done that keeps him in Seattle, but is really unsure of where he’ll wind up in 2011. Moore also quotes Hasselbeck wanting at least a two-year minimum deal. Moore also catches up with Chris Spener and Kelly Jennings.

Christian Caple of Seattlepi.com reports that according to a source Washington linebacker Mason Foster visited with the Seahawks on Tuesday.

Wes Bunting of the National Football Post offers some Day 3 diamonds in the rough in this year’s draft.

No surprise here, but no one from the Seahawks make Pete Prisco of CBS Sports’ list of the top 100 players in the league.

According to Brad Biggs of the National Football Post, Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallet cancelled an early morning meeting in March with Carolina in Charlotte after reportedly being seen out late on the town the night before.

Morning links
  1. SeahawkFan12 says:

LOL…interesting choice of words in the headline…”Luck” needed. No sh!t. Too bad he doesn’t come out until next year. He and Kellen Moore will be the best QBs to come out in a long time when they do…

2. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Kellen Moore will be a 6th round pick at best.

3. The only thing the sucks on our schedule is the early starts, as someone said earlier, 24th worst is 9th easisest. The Rams, now they got a rough schedule, they’ll probably start out 0-7. The Niners are the ones we are going to have to watch out for, the look to have a pretty easy road to start off with.

Go Hawks, pick up some OL and DL in the draft, maybe a corner as well.

4. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Chris Spencer and Kelly Jennings…HA! Those are 2 Ruskell 1st round busts I’m certainly hoping are not on the roster in 2011.

Its no surprise we’re giving a long hard look at Mason Foster. I bet if there were a new CBA agreement reached in time, we would shop around Aaron Curry and trade him for a 3rd round pick if a team were stupid enough to want him.

5. Curry is not a bust, but he has underperformed based on his draft position. Busts don’t start every game for their team. Foster and Curry don’t even play the same position so your comment makes no sense. Draft Foster and we will have three middle linebackers on our team: Tatupu, Hawthorne, and Foster.

6. HawkfaninMT says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Spencer brought back. Fans a re putting a lot of faith in Unger as the teams future Center. To me that seems folly. He has yet to unseat Spencer as the starting C and I don’t see any reason he would be head and shoulders above Spencer going forward. You can’t tell me that if Spencer had been re-signed that Unger would get the pub he has lately. I am a fan of Unger but Spencer was the most consistant lineman we had last year. If Unger is better let him earn it.

7. Would love for us get Marecic in the later rounds. guys a stud.

I saw that rams schedule and almost, almost felt sorry for them.

8. Luck won’t come out next year, at least, I don’t think he will. I’m pretty sure he said the reason he didn’t come out, was because he wanted to finish school so I wouldn’t count on him coming out. If he does however, with this schedule, we might have a shot at getting him. I believe in this team, but the depth is questionable, but then again, we saw the Cowboys breaking down last year, who knows what we/ our opponents will play like in April, any given Sunday right?

9. SeahawkFan12 says:

“Kellen Moore will be a 6th round pick at best.”

…and still be a better pro than any QB in this year’s class (except maybe Gabbert).

10. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

There is nothing about Moore that will translate to the NFL. He pads his stats against garbage competition in a laughable conference, has a weak arm, is way too short, and slight as well. A cool breeze could knock him over, and a sack from someone relatively light like Chris Clemons would probably put him in the hospital.

11. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

And Curry has not started every game for this team, he missed a handful games towards the end of his rookie season with injury. Also, he is ROUTINELY taken off the field because HE ISN’T EVEN A 3 DOWN LB. And Mason Foster plays OLB not ILB, stop being a clown. I guarantee he’ll also be a better one than Curry, too. Foster actually has desire and doesn’t take plays off when behind like Curry does and he actually has instincts and is a student of the game to go along with his elite production.

12. SeahawkFan12 says:

LOL ACIB…you must be quite the scout. Not sure what “competition” you’re referring to (maybe you’re and SEC fan) and not sure what “breeze” you’re referring to.

Cheers.

13. HawkfaninMT says:

No statistical eveidence but at first glace it seems Kellen Moore= Chad Pennington

14. HawkfaninMT says:

glace=glance

15. If need be, trade down from #25 into the early 2nd round. Pick up a 2nd rounder next year in that deal. Then take that early 2nd rounder and see if anyone will trade their #1 next year for it. Then we could enter next season with an extra pick in each of the first two rounds. Don’t resign Matt and let Charlie start with a bad OL (like Matt has had to do). That should about guarantee that we have the #1 pick in the draft next year. Pick Luck and then have three more picks in the 1st two rounds. Then the rebuild can officially begin with Lombardi Trophys in realistic site a few years down the road.

JacDG – Luck is scheduled to graduate next spring, so that would not preclude him from entering the 2012 draft.

Tompage – Curry is as close to a bust as a player can be, that actually takes the field, after two seasons. I would argue he’s underperformed for a UFA, nevermind 4th overall. That is, Hawthorne, while on the weak side and essentially plays only in Base as does Curry, has been immeasurably more productive. Curry’s days in Seattle must be numbered.

18. Let’s just hope next year is Curry’s year when it all just comes together for him.

19. Man, would’ve thought he needed his senior year as well, guess he’s a good student or something? Well, at least we have that to look forward to if we suck this season, and we don’t draft a QB early.

Audible – I hope for that too, despite my pessimism.

By the way, anyone see this about Mallett? I know, I know, more unsubstantiated rumors his defenders will say…

Then, after the denial…

JacDG – I know. Degree in 3 years, from Stanford. If only he’d apply himself…

22. raymaines says:

AC’sBust: Have you been drinking again? You’ve been kind of quite for a while, what’s got you all fired up tonight?

JacDG – Actually I take that back, he redshirted his freshman year, so next season will be his 4th there. Okay, a 4 year degree… back to just your average Stanford grad. lol

24. Still, if he is as smart on the football field as he has to be to go to Stanford, and it appears he is, I’d trade half the franchise for an opportunity to get him.

That was intended to be sarcastic. I would love him to become a Seahawk. He’s the real deal, in all ways, IMO.

I’ve seen that report several times and am still not sure how it effects anything. Can someone clarify? Chuck…?

27. Trade 1(25) — Receive early 2nd round pick this year AND 2nd round pick next year.

Trade early 2nd round pick — Receive 1st round pick next year.

“One question; who would ever accept a second round pick in exchange for a first round pick?”

In 2009, the Broncos gave us their 1st round pick in ’10 for our 2nd rounder (37th overall; 6th pick in 2nd round).

It’s far fetched, but not as far fetched as some might think.

28. Duke – I have a job for you… go and set up a Mock Draft!!! lol

Bobby – Right you are! I always liked Josh McDaliels ;)

30. Damn straight! I hope I like him even more as OC of the Lambs!

31. maddog12 says:

The mid tier law firm must have 75 players to file and only has 70. Either somebody is making this up or there is unrest on the players side. I am betting on option two. Barely millionaires will hit the wall before millionaires and billionaires. The lower paid guys are going to want to settle first and then the waive will build.

As usual we are just going to have to wait and conjecture.

32. Speaking of stupid trades… Ruskell once traded the first pick in the 5th round, a 7th round pick, and a 3rd round pick the following year…

for

…a LATE 3rd round pick (Butler).

It’s a good thing he stacked the roster with so much talent that he could trade three picks for a singular pick (sarcasm).

33. We should have a poll as to what Seahawk fans want the most (all things being equal) with the 1st round pick. What position do people want if they could magically have the BPA with our pick?

1. QB
    2. LG
    3. RT
    4. DE – leo (need mega-pass rusher)
    5. DT – 3-tech (I would rank this position #3 if the team promised to keep Mebane, too… makes NO sense to me to use our #1 pick on this position if we allow our current, and good, player at this position to leave).

I wouldn’t rank LG at #2 if I weren’t so high on getting a GOOD, young guy to play with Okung/Unger for a long time (CONTINUITY!!!).

I’d love to put QB at 1, but there just isn’t one I’d feel comfortable taking at #25 (unless Gabbert fell all the way back, lol). So, having said that;

Tackle
    3-Tech
    Corner
    Guard
    LDE

BTW, I would love it if the NY crowd next Thursday mercilessly booed Goodell when he walks onto the stage. If for no other reason than he’s a symbol of this entire, ugly mess of a lockout.

36. If they don’t “BOO!” GODell next weekend, that will be an injustice. I don’t care if you support the owners or players… you’re right, it’s a symbolic thing.

1. Christian Ponder, QB
    2. Stepan Wisniewski, OG

Could be worse…

It could and I like Ponder. But I feel like they could get him early in the second if they were to trade back. But alas, that wasn’t part of your criteria. And of all the things Schneider said, the one I’m inclined to believe is that they won’t reach simply because of need.

I don’t know what made me think of this, but how would you feel about Danny Watkins in the first, then trading UP in the second for Ponder? (I understand, without a 3rd that’s difficult, but still…)

38. I like Marcus Cannon more than Danny Watkins. Cannon is bigger and faster and anchored the line for a team that went undefeated (I really don’t care about the latter part, but it was fun to add). Don’t get me wrong, I like Watkins, but I don’t always buy into what the “experts” say. I think Cannon will have the better NFL career.

I haven’t seen enough of Ponder to know better (a lot of highlights lately… lol). I want him simply b/c I value the QB position. I’d take an above average QB any day over a Pro Bowl player for any other position and I think Schneider is not telling the truth when he says he won’t deviate from the grades they have on players (or he’s as dumb as wanting to make the Josh Wilson trade all over again with the benefit of hindsight). I mean, if they have a QB as the 2nd highest rated player on their board and a MLB at #1, I’d be mad if they took the MLB over the QB.

39. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

“SeahawkFan12 says:

But then again your posts about what should be done with Aaron Curry are so well thought-out and sensible, what do I know?”

So your attacks are a front for the fact you don’t have a rebuttal because you know everything I’ve said is truth. Cool.

40. Would we rather have a QB like Mark Sanchez, Joe Flacco or Matt Schaub…
    or
    Pro Bowlers like Zach Miller, Jerod Mayo, or Jason Babin (LMFAO!).

Technically, the Pro Bowlers are better, but I’d take the better QB (even though they aren’t Pro Bowlers).

41. (although Schaub has been in a Pro Bowl)… lol

42. Ahh to be a fly on the wall, my guess is the board is a mix of DL and OL ranked as BPA/FIT and something spectacular would have to happen for them to deviate as in Jimmy Smith fall to 25. at that spot he’s a good gamble.

Interesting comments by Matt. echoes what I said a while back(i’m so smrt) that as long as we dont flat out insult him with our offer he’d rather stay than disrupt his family. he might be from Boston but his kids are Washingtonians and they are more important than a few extra dollars.

43. Having Matt mentor a rookie would be great!

Looks like Seattle’s working out another safety. It will be interesting if Carroll adjusts his scheme for the SS and uses him less in the box and more of a back end, cover slot / TE player. They’ve worked out a couple players that fit that profile; Colmean, Conte, Walters and now Jennings.

45. BobbyK-
    The whole team has to improve. Alot. If I was a GM-jr and some strange thing happened and a high-tools/high-skills player at any position fell to #25 (eg Von Miller or Da’Quan Bowers) I’d take him rather than the best player in the direst position of need, and expect my coaching staff to make best use of him. (Exception that DaQuan Bowers doesn’t have to go up on the NY stage using a walker).

The biggest question I have is how aggressive JS should he be at taking risks where we’re now picking in the draft? If there was a psych-program out there that you could plug prospect profiles into and get an idea of boom/bust odds given the team environment, and supposing you could get a good idea of prospects’ floors and ceilings – with SEA’s current team needs – should JS ‘shoot for the moon’ for prospects with the highest ceilings and highest ‘bust’ odds, or should he go slow and steady with lower ceiling and ‘bust’ odds?

46. SeahawkFan12 says:

ACIB…you are right. You got me. Peace out, brother/sister.

BPA and need aren’t mutually exclusive, to me. If you’re Green Bay for example, and you have a QB as the highest rated player left on your board at #32, do you take him simply because he’s the BPA? Conversely, teams early in the draft can adhere more closely to the “BPA” philosophy, simply because they have more holes to fill. No, I’ve never believed in BPA, regardless. I think teams that draft well have the flexibility to identify the best BPA at their direst position(s) of need and draft accordingly based on who’s available. Otherwise, you can end up with a strong side LB (Aaron Curry) rather than a future franchise QB (Mark Sanchez) or corner (Malcolm Jenkins), as an example.

48. Schools teaching “Statistics” courses might use the NFL draft to focus their course curricula around.

Every draft prospect should be in SEA’s ‘draft-program’ matrix. Instead of simply ranking prospects at ‘primary’ positions and ‘second-use’ positions, every position should be assigned parameters by which prospects are judged (tools and skills to which quantitative values, or criteria, can be assigned). Every prospect should be evaluated on his college performance, Sr Bowl, combine, pro days, etc. and criteria-values assigned to every parameter at every possible position the prospect might fit. Scouts should be doing this all year long, and probably do. Somehow, this is where a modifier needs to be included, that gets into the psychological fit of players with types of coaching styles, anticipated changes in prospect profiles by environmental, financial, social, political, etc. variables. SEA’s scouts should get every prospect to fill out a psych eval form of 15-20 pages. SEA’s trainers should also fly an MRI to each college and run every prospect through it.

SEA’s draft program also has to have a ‘team needs weightage factor’. For convenience, the sum of the weightage factors for all existing team positions should equal one, and the sum of weightage factors for all parameters under each position should also equal one. Weightage factors not only distinguish between existing performance capabilities at positions, but also existing performance capabilities of each parameter assigned to each position. Weightage factors vary day to day depending on current team member injuries, free agency acquisitions/losses, scheme/coach changes, player misconduct and improvement and decline of existing players tools and skills. Multiply all the various ‘prospects’ performance values’ by all the weightage factors for every position to determine those prospects with the highest ‘worth’ at any given pick. The program needs to do this for not only SEA, but for every other team as well.

The proper pick at any particular draft slot isn’t necessarily the then-current player with the highest worth at that particular pick. Every GM’s draft seeks to acquire the highest ‘total worth’ (the sum of worths of all his draft picks). He’s got to check the highest sum of the potential worths of subsequent picks during each pick over the entire draft. Once you draft a position, that changes the weightage factor (team need) at that position for subsequent picks. The program has to continuously run what-if scenarios with every pick to determine the best total worth over the course of the draft. SEA’s draft program should do this for every other team as well, continuously updated at every team’s pick to improve the confidence of which picks will be available for SEA’s subsequent picks. It also has to run what-if scenarios with teams swapping draft picks, not only between SEA and other teams, but between other teams.

The draft could maybe be about statistics and degrees of confidence, or how thorough your scouting department can be at collecting all of the info needed to select the prospects that will best improve your team, but it appears to really be about how lucky a gambler your GM and his pro-personnel dept is.

klm – Under what authority do you have it that Seattle doesn’t rank “every draft prospect” in their “draft-program’ matrix.”? Are you somehow privileged to know exactly how Schneider and Carroll set their draft board?

And this, “SEA’s trainers should also fly an MRI to each college and run every prospect through it.” has to be sarcasm. Right…?

And look dude, comments like this, “… but it appears to really be about how lucky a gambler your GM and his pro-personnel dept is.” are really out of left field. Yes, you have to get lucky once and a while. But how on earth can someone who cuts and pastes as many stats as you do (and ideally understands the deepth of research those take to assemble) be so dismissive toward the effort NFL organizations’ put into the draft? These men devote more time and resources into the research of these athletes than you or I can hope to understand. I’m convinced that anyone of us would be stunned at the deepth that goes on behind the scenes.

And with due respect, your whole premise is rather curious coming from a self-proclaimed stat nut and again, knowing the effort that goes in to compiling them. Is there a link you forgot to provide?

50. No, I’m not authorized to pronounce that SEA doesn’t rank/rate every prospect, in fact I believe they do. What I’m conjecturing is that their rankings/ratings, although rigorous, and although it may be a statistical model, isn’t yet a computor pro-personnel inventory program. The selection of pro-personnel is fraught with risks, due mainly to uncertainty.

Wasn’t trying to diss PC/JS or any other pro-personnel staff, but just saying that the pro-personnel acquisition process is both an art and a science, but currently more art than science – as it has been since before I was born. That means there is built-in uncertainty in the selection process. People who have to deal with uncertainty in selecting between competing alternatives are gambling. I have great respect for gamblers, especially good gamblers, like PC/JS, et al. I’d just like to see as many unneccessary uncertainties removed as possible. Reduce the ‘art’ part to the coaches as spirit-guides, looking into where each of their players and prospects are in their spiritual journeys and understanding how they can be guided, via football, towards fulfillment.

Instead of PA buying a plane to pack an MRI around to campuses, I’d love for the NFL to put prospects through an MRI, and other exams, to eliminate uncertainties like bad backs, tumors, bad knees, heart conditions, etc. At least so they don’t go unnoticed prior to the draft. I’d love for college players to take such exams every year they’re in school (gratis of the NFL). Maybe trainers with good eyes should be able to look at a person’s movements. and tell you with uncanny accuracy what that person’s insides look like, but unfit prospects still do get selected from time to time. Also, sometimes students with undetected ailments unknowingly risk death just by playing the game they love.

This year, how well will Bowers knee hold up in the NFL, what will happen with R.Quinn’s tumor, etc? Scouts and pro-personnel depts know about these particular concerns, but not too much more. As a GM-jr I’d like to know what Ingram’s running gear looks like, etc. Have better prognosis’ over time for prospects. But the NFL probably can’t add MRI and psych exams to the combine(?) Shoot, the NFL is still having OL/NT guys running 40s. You’ld think maybe a group of physiologists could come up with better sets of drills for each position group to more accurately display position appropriate tools.

I also believe you may be a relative of mine.

Really? Where are you from? I’m really curious…

klm – How do you know Carroll / Schneider’s ratings / rankings system already in place ” isn’t yet a computor pro-personnel inventory program”? It just seems you are presuming a great deal without knowing specifics. As we are trying to evaluate people and not machines, there will always be uncertainty. And with due respect, I’d caution from using or confusing the methods people like you see on ESPN or read in magazines as a base-line for how NFL player personnel go about their scouting or rankings.

SInce you brought up Bowers; is there a test available that will tell pro-personnel how his knee will heal? They can determine what is wrong with it, but assessing how quickly and how strong the body will react to the injury and / or surgery is another matter all together. To my knowledge, there is no test available for that (speaking as someone who has had 2 MRIs, for what that’s worth).

But ultimately I agree, that NFL teams ought to do everything they can do eliminate any guesswork when it comes to player rankings. And I believe they do. I also believe each and every year their methods become more and more sophisticated. But the elimination of instinct from the perspective of a scout will not not should not be eliminated. Otherwise, players like Tom Brady never make it into the league.

And again, why do you think we are related? (Unless that was sarcasm.)