Morning links: Ex-Hawk DE Reed headed to Chicago

Post by Eric Williams on Jan. 26, 2011 at 11:26 am with 24 Comments »
January 26, 2011 11:26 am
Nick Reed works with defensive line coach Dan Quinn.

Here are a couple links to check out this morning.

Former Seahawks defensive end Nick Reed has signed a futures contract with the Chicago Bears.

Receiver Mike Williams and defensive end Chris Clemons make the All-Joes team, complied by Nate Davis of USA Today – unheralded prime-time performers in 2010.

Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee talks to Pete Carroll, who says he has no issues with new San Francisco head coach Jim Harbaugh.

Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com writes that Colorado offensive tackle Nate Solder and California defensive end Cameron Jordan grabbed the spotlight on Tuesday.

Chad Reuter of NFLDraftScout.com writes that Washington quarterback Jake Locker rebounded from an uneven performance on the first day of Senior Bowl practices to perform better on Tuesday.

Morning links
  1. I love how in the Nick Reed article they can’t even get his name right.

The Chicago Bears signed defensive end Nick Reed on Tuesday to a reserve/future contract.

Originally a seventh-round pick of the Seattle Seahawks in 2009, Smith played 16 games for the team that year,

He is Reed and then Smith!!!

2. Nick Smith to Chicago? Ewwwwwww.

3. bird_spit says:

I found it too bad that PC and company cut Reed. I think he would have been good depth at the leo.

4. GriffinNW says:

He almost seemed like the right size to maybe convert into a Linebacker, lining up as a rushing LB/speed DE.

If he put in the work, I bet he could pan out to be a mediocre Linebacker, much like Aaron Curry. Not to mention the contract would be much less.

5. bird_spit – ditto. They must really like Clemons, Brock, & DD. Still, Reed is a gamer. I remember when we played @ IND, their LT grabbed Reed’s upper arm with both hands and held it up to keep Nick from beating him around the edge. No call. He got like 9 pass-rushes all season and got one sack. All-time sack-master at Oregon, Reed could do damage paired with Peppers.

6. Our new QB also writes for USA Today?

7. minotauri says:

hawthorne made the list too.

8. It’s pretty sad when I’d rather have Nick Reed at a minimal contract than Aaron Curry and his massive contract.

Nick Reed is an easy guy to root for! I wish him luck (unless he’s playing the Seahawks).

What’s really sad that I’d rather have Reed’s effort starting at Sam than Curry’s talent. Effort takes no talent, something that Reed always gives, all the time. Bobby’s right on, he is easy to root for.

Jay Glazier had some interesting things to say about the potential lockout and how it’s effecting the Sr Bowl. He noted that their were far fewer coaches in attendance this year. In the past he says, even unemployed coaches would attend as a sort of “job fair”, but this year the coaches that are there are sharing their plans for their respective teams handling of the lockout. And that if the lockout extends for any length of time, teams and players are prepared to re-sign FAs as there won’t be time to shop around. He also mentioned that by and large, the agents in attendance have already signed their players and that the number of agents shopping themselves is a fraction of what it has been in the past. Interesting stuff…

10. I like the “All-Joes team” concept. This year our team had more hard-working Joes than stars, that’s for sure. And these types of guys are worth focusing on in Free Agency (if there is such a thing this year). We simply can’t do it all with first round draft choices or high-priced free agents.

When I see Steelers and Patriots Tackles on that team, and guys in our own division like Saffold, it points to exactly what we need more of on our O line. I hope Tom Cable can attract more of these types of guys. And I hope he can coach some players who were on last year’s roster – particularly Unger and Andrews – toward stepping up to become “All-Joe’s” next year.

11. I suspect we’ll regret Reed leaving.

12. Hey, we just signed another TE. Anyone keeping track of the number of signings this year? lol

Interesting signing. He played both TE and T at FSU, I wonder what they see in him here? At 6’7″ he’d be a nice red zone target despite not have many receptions in college. Blocking TE with upside, ideally.

14. GriffinNW says:

I saw that signing over at Field Gulls, didn’t know/catch that it was a 3 year deal. Seems like quite the lengthy contract. He’s got interesting size, we’ll see how he pans out.

15. chrisj122 says:

I liked Reed alot, he really made the most out of every opportunity he was given.

16. bird_spit says:

Have I mentioned lately that I hate the RSS feed for comments.. I depend on it, then find out it is missing comments!

Is there a complaint box somewhere I can stuff?

17. Danny O’Neil posted a killer quote about Tom Cable today:

Jeremy Newberry: “Tom Cable, as an offensive line coach, ranks up there with any of the best ones I’ve ever been under. His passion for the game, I think. He truly, truly loves line play. He wants to be a line coach. These guys are in for a rude awakening as far as the tempo of practice and how they’re going to work under him. The guy is intense as hell. He cares about what he does. He loves his players, but it’s going to be a rude awakening because the tempo, you can’t wait to go to team drills and 9-on-7 just to get a break from individual with that guy. They’re going to work their (hindparts) off for him.”

That’s incredible. lol.

19. Good stuff. Now get him some talent to work with!

Great! Now let’s get some talent for Cable to work with!

Dang! BobbyK. That makes up for Dukeshire beating you to the punch.

In no way Stevos,(Beating you to the punch), was that a dig on Cable. Lol.

22. vichawkfan says:

love that Harbaugh is 9′ers coach now….PC has some smack-down owed to him.

I’m signing out until the week before draft as usual…..GO HAWKS

Eric, awesome job once again this year…..my feelings are this blog is better than ever –

OUT

Watching the Sr Bowl practice this morning, Locker is tanking. Badly. The north is working on red-zone offense and on consecutive plays, he threw an incomplete pass, pick and fumbled the snap.

Overall this week, there hasn’t been a QB on either the North or South that has really stood up and practiced well.

One guy that has stood out this week is John Moffett (Wisc). He’s played both guard and center and has looked so damn solid. Depending what they do with their 1st, the ‘Hawks could do a lot worse than him in the second.