Closing time at Camp Carroll

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 19, 2010 at 5:46 pm with 14 Comments »
August 19, 2010 5:46 pm

Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said the first unit offense and defense will play more this Saturday against Green Bay, so expect them to play close to a half of football.

“The first group guys will get more extensive work,” he said. “So that means that the guys who are fighting for positions have really got to make something of their time when they get their opportunities in the second half, and it will go like that through next week as well.”

With the players finishing camp on this afternoon, Carroll was asked his thoughts on how he felt about his first training camp, which included players having only four, two-a-days during the 20 days of camp.

“I don’t think there’s any question we’ve accomplished how to practice,” Carroll said. “And we know how we want to practice. We learned how to do that in OTAs, but until you put the pads on and you learn the tempo and the hitting and how that all fits together, you don’t really know. So we’re practicing well.”

Wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh certainly noticed a difference from last’s camp with Jim Mora to this year with Carroll.

“We worked hard, but I think Coach Carroll gave us a good amount of time off,” Houshmandzadeh said. “I don’t think guys are banged up at all. I didn’t have one day where I was really sore at all. And I would like to say it’s because I worked hard in the offseason, but coach would probably say because they took care of us.”

As far as what the team needs to see specifically, Carroll said they still need a lot of work, including continued work on the running game and sorting through the competition at running back to see who fits best, and at what role.

Carroll said Leon Washington should get his first work of the preseason, but will not be involved in the kicking game this week.

“We’re really excited about Leon playing this week,” Carroll said. “And he’s had terrific preparation for hit. He’s been banged around plenty of times here, been knocked off his feet and has been tackled plenty of times here. He’s ready to go at this point, so we’ll see where he is.”

Carroll also mentioned position battles at running back, in the secondary and at linebackers as areas of focus heading into Saturday’s game against Green Bay.

As far as Leroy Hill goes, Carroll said the team still needs to hear from the league, which is now responsible for evaluating the situation in terms of the personal conduct policy. Hill is headed for a settlement in the domestic dispute he was involved with at his home in Issaquah.

“We won’t know really all about the court stuff until we hear from the league on what that all means,” Carroll said. “But he’s completed everything he needs to do in that regard.

“As far as his knee is concerned, he’s still a couple weeks out. But he’s progressing very well. And the trainers feel like there’s no question he’s going to be back in about three to four weeks from now, and going full speed.”

As far as Ray Willis and his knee issue goes, Carroll said he does not know if the veteran offensive tackle has had surgery yet, but said he does have some substantial rehabilitation in his future and will miss the beginning of the regular season.

Housh is back: After missing three days to take care of personal issues, wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh was back at practice on Thursday. Houshmandzadeh did not elaborate on the situation he had to attend to, but he went through the full, two-hour practice and appears ready to play on Saturday.

“It was a little minor situation, nothing big,” Houshmandzadeh said. “There’s nothing to get into. It was so minor there’s nothing to get into. It was just a minor incident, that’s all.”

DE Jackson gone: Carroll addressed the Lawrence Jackson trade today after practice, which had to be a a tough move for him and the organization to make.

“I love Lawrence Jackson,” Carroll said. “I’ve known him since he was 14 years old. And I care a lot about his future and what he’s doing. This is a good opportunity for Lawrence. So we made a deal, and John got a chance to work something out. Hopefully it will work out for Lawrence, and we’ll be rooting for him.”

Injury update:
TE Chris Baker, OT Ray Willis, LB Leroy Hill and DT Craig Terrill did not practice today. OL Chester Pitts and CB Josh Pinkard remain on the active PUP list.

Notes from practice
  1. superduk says:

Me thinks he doth protest too much.

I think we’re all excited to see Leon play Saturday night. It’s amazing to me that he and Thurmond are back and playing so soon. Awesome.

Glad to hear Housh is back and it wasn’t anything too serious.

Looks like Tate had another great catch today and Forsett busted a 50 yard TD run. Would love to see that Saturday.

3. Carlsonkid says:

Rob Rang was really impressed with Thurmond in the earlier video link … I’m hopeful he fully recovers and possibly could start opposite Truf next season . Then we could move Wilson over to nickel where he seems to excel . It would be nice to have some size across from Trufant at the other corner …

4. Nice post Duke and I’m more than pleased with the draft this year. I know I know it’s early and lets see what happens but these kids, for the most part, look like they could be the real deal. That includes Leon and Thurmond (slated as projects and now look) and pretty sound business upstairs.

Green Bay is going to be a challenge, this game should give us a good picture of where we are as a team. I’m not expecting heroics, but rather a grind’em out 60 minutes of football. All things considered, the seahawks should take this opportunity to really play their A#@es off and get another W(dub) and qwest and send a few shivers and booms through the NFC West. Go Seahawks!

5. Hey, grammar police I intended to say “at qwest and send a few shivers and booms through the NFC West.” Go Seahawks baby!

Yes, so far the rookie class is making an impact. Long ways to go, but there’s every reason for optimism right now. Beyond the high profile positions, guys like EJ Wilson and Dexter Davis are nice surprise. I’m certain that Wilson’s play at LDE helped Carroll feel better about moving Jackson to Leo and ultimately trading him.

7. ruminator1 says:

pretty amazing

8. ruminator1 says:

i picked this stuff up today. sorry to those who knew it already:

Detroit Lions head coach Jim Schwartz is one of the few NFL head coaches on Twitter–get on it, Rex Ryan–and tonight shared his thoughts on new acquisition Lawrence Jackson.

“It is going to be a big change in technique for Lawrence Jackson at DE. A lot like Suh, he had been asked to “read” more in the past,” Schwartz tweeted. “Our dline philosophy is based on “attack” and getting off the ball quickly – so pressure will be on him to pick up the new scheme right away.”
    ****
    One option that makes sense on paper for the Bears is Seattle Seahawks third-string quarterback J.P. Losman, an experienced veteran with a big arm and a league minimum base salaries for 2010 and 2011. Losman was believed to be even, if not ahead of Charlie Whitehurst in the battle for the #2 spot behind starter Matt Hasselbeck, but Whitehurst’s strong performance in the pre-season opener may have widened that gap.

A potential hang-up for the Seahawks trading Losman is that they face the Chicago Bears and New York Giants, the NFL’s other QB-needy franchise, during the regular season.

*****
    According to Cole, one of those players is the man Childress chauffeured to Vikings headquarters last August.
    “In short, even as Minnesota’s best hope to win a Super Bowl this season was rejoining the team, Childress was losing more ground with his team in the battle for respect. One of the biggest issues playing out behind the scenes in Minnesota is that many players, particularly on offense, have no respect for Childress. Among those players is (Brett) Favre, who officially returned to the team Wednesday. According to multiple team sources, Favre’s disdain for Childress is deep.

‘Brett thinks Childress has no clue about offense,’ a Vikings player said.”

******
    Cleveland Browns right guard Floyd Womack will miss the remainder of the pre-season after having a knee scoped, reports Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer.
    *****
    Balmer Bought His Way Out of San Francisco
    Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com reports defensive linemen Kentwan Balmer agreed to repay the San Francisco 49ers 25% of the 2010 portion of his $1.6 million signing bonus to facilitate his trade to the Seattle Seahawks.

Seattle is now responsible for nearly $800,000 in guaranteed base salaries in Balmer’s contract, including his $583,000 2010 base salary and $214,000 of Balmer’s $622,000 base salary in 2011.

According to a league source, in addition to the base salary guarantees, Balmer has a maximum of $350,000 in roster bonuses due in 2011-12, and can earn up to $250,000 in workout bonuses in the final two seasons of his contract. Through playing time and performance incentives, Balmer can increase his $700,000 base salary in 2012 by a maximum of $500,000.

9. So to me the 9ners butt whooping of the colts last week lost a little luster when Buffalo also put a waxing on the colts today. With a number of big runs making the RB look pretty good.

So it will look different when we see some other games and see what happens then I will be more impressed (or less)

Saturday should be interesting with the “starters” playing for a half. I will be curious to see what happens and WHO gets more time with the #1′s

We have not seen these guys in a game (yeah I know its pre season) run with the starts yet (or at least not much)

Forsett, Tate, Williams, Morrah or McCoy in a 2 TE set.

I am hoping to see any or all of these things if possible!!

10. snydro22 says:

Classy..

“I love Seattle. I’m going to keep my home here,” Jackson said. “This is a place where I wanted to be after football if I didn’t get drafted. It just sucks to kind of temporarily be uprooted. I love the city, I love the food, the fans, the people, but professionally, I feel like [this is] a better opportunity.”

Hope it works out for you, LoJack.. Wish we had drafted you in the third round, maybe things would have been different.

Snydro – The Cro gif is incredible.

12. snydro22 says:

This is what actually got me interested in Cromartie, hence the GIF. Well, this and Eric Weddles comments about nobody on the Chargers missing him..

I read that earlier after looking at your previous link. The clip of that piece is pretty awkward but I didn’t think it was as bad as the things I had read made it sound. (In his defense, he seems a bit slow to me in general, so I may have been expecting a complete implosion.)

He has four 3 year olds. Lol. That’s incredible to me, as well.