Hawks select SS Chancellor with No. 133 overall pick

Post by Eric Williams on April 24, 2010 at 9:04 am with 44 Comments »
April 24, 2010 9:07 am

The Seahawks filled another need here in the fifth round with the team’s 133rd overall pick, selecting Kam Chancellor, a strong safety from Virginia Tech.

Chancellor now gives Seattle four safeties at the back end of the defense, joining Jordan Babineaux, Jamar Adams and new addition Earl Thomas.

At 6-foot-3, 231 pounds Chancellor should give Seattle a physical presence in the back end of the defense. He came to Virginia Tech as a quarterback, and also played some corner for the Hokies.

NFL Draft
  1. A 6-3 Safety! Nice pick to pair with our new lightning-fast FS Thomas! Now we have real competition for the safety spots!

2. bulldog80 says:

We desperately needed a strog safety!! Babs was not going to be the answer. My question is will this be be better than Myron Rolle?

3. EyeAmBaldman says:

Interesting…Mayock calls this guy a Taylor Mays clone. He will be a strong safety behind Babs.

Thought he played FS at Tech. In any case, he is certainly big enough to play SS and I will be rooting hard for him. I would love the opening game safeties to be Earl and Kam. No more Babs, thankfully.

5. SS? He’s called a FS – Hawks needed SS – can we just plug him into SS?

6. Tim McDonald is/was the stereotypical Mr. Happy SS. This guy isn’t going to be asked to do a lot of covering in space. He’s going to mash in the box. He and Thomas are going to compliment each other very well. It’s weird to think we might end up with good safety play.

7. EyeAmBaldman says:

Duke, I hear you man. Babs “big plays” are a thing of the past. Kam did play FS for Va Tech but he lacks cover skills–hence the switch to SS, I guess. I agree I’d love to see Earl and Kam as Week 1 starters…there will be growing pains but I’m ok with that.

8. #139-OG? Marshal Newhouse or Mitch Petrus?

9. This whole year will probably be a growing pain, but if it works the following year, I’m all for it.

10. Yeah pick some OG’s and DE’s now

BobbyK – I can’t even begin to explain my excitement right now. This Ds improvement will be dramatic with capable safety play. Atta boy Carroll!

12. klm, watch the video above. he’s tall and stiff and definitely not a FS. but he hits like a truck. I would guess he’ll probably get beat by speedy WRs, but he can hit and he is going to knock some people into next week.

13. Our LB situation is well stocked and documented… all of a sudden, our DBs are just as well stocked… we have added bodies on the DL too… we’re just going to need another/better body on the DL and we’ll be golden…

14. chuck_easton says:

I’m having flashbacks (well I’m getting old).

Look back to the 1981 draft. Bill Walsh took Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, and Carlton Williamson all in the same draft and started them all as rookies.

They went on to form one of the best defensive backfields (along with unproven backup Dwight Hicks) and helped SF on their way to their dominance of the 1980′s.

Can lighting strike twice?

15. Stevos – Was thinking Reshad Jones

16. Guys, I think Babs starts at SS this year. Chancellor is not a day 1 starter – he’s more of depth and ST for this year.

17. And # 139 is?

18. With the coverage skills that we now have at FS, it’s much easier to have a SS who may lack that specific skill. And the way Mr. Happy used Tim McDonald… our SS isn’t going to have to worry about coverage too much anyways… this could be a good thing…

19. EyeAmBaldman says:

Hawks trade their pick to Jets…

20. trade to Jets?

21. chuck – I had the exact same thought about Bill Walsh with our DBs.

22. crap. we traded out of pick 139. I wanted Newhouse.

23. Like you said, mash the box, 231, hopefully knock some fools out.

24. Leon Washington is a Seahawk!

25. EyeAmBaldman says:

Yes, BobbyK is right. Chancellor is a hitter…he’s weak in coverage. He’s more comfortable in the box…wait…..LEON WASHINGTON?

26. JazBadAzz says:

wow, we get Leon Washington!!! this amazing

27. Did we just drop JJ? Could it be true finally.

28. BobbyAyala says:

Washington now? Crazy man.

29. Leon Washington is a playmaker. I really like him. And for a 5th round pick! This is a great f’n draft!!! This is how you do it!!!

Leon Washington to Seattle.

31. EyeAmBaldman says:

Washington was hurt last year, right?

32. Can we get Big John Henderson for the 6th rounder?

This is awesome!

34. J.J. is gone. For sure. I honestly love our 3-headed monster of LenWhale, Washington, and Forsett.

35. Soggybuc says:

OK i think i wanna marry our FO now! WOW just WOW!

36. pabs – the way this draft is going… we ARE going to have a chance to win this year if we can get a guy like Henderson for our 6th round pick.

I love Mr. Happy’s demeanor in the war room.

WTF — we also GOT a 7th rounder too? What a steal we got!

37. chuck_easton says:

But WAIT, there’s MORE (now I sound like a TV pitchman)

We also got the Jet’s 7th rounder! Washington AND a pick.

38. EyeAmBaldman says:

JJ has to be gone.

39. Leon Washington 5-8/195, 27 yo 5th yr in 2010.
    Played thru game 7, 4.6 avg.

40. BobbyK – It’s going to be about Hasselbeck fulfilling all the promises you made last year on what he could do if he had a decent team around him.

The OL is decent, the WRs, TEs and RBs are SOLID. The secondary is better.

But what about the pass rush and QB position? Will Curry and Hasselbeck do what we need?

41. R U Serious… I wanna long snapper, punter and damnit… where the heck is my kicker… I need 3… repeat 3 kickers for this team… slams door exiting stage left!

Mora … u dirt bag endorsing … not me lol

42. goneshootin says:

If this is the guys highlight reel, it’s obvious why he was picked so late.

The guy is sometimes in position, but NEVER makes the play.

We already got rid of one of those guys this year in Grant, who probably leads the NFL in dropped INTs over the past 3 years.

This kid better pick up his play-making ability or he won’t even make the practice squad.