Big Show on Big Walt: Keep playing

Post by Eric Williams on Feb. 26, 2010 at 2:31 pm with 10 Comments »
February 26, 2010 2:31 pm

The Big Show, former Seahawks head coach Mike Holmgren, talked to reporters this afternoon, albeit now holding a different title as president of the Cleveland Browns.

Holmgren said he enjoyed being back at the NFL Scouting combine amongst his peers, but admitted not being on the field coaching once training camp starts will take some adjusting to.

“I told a couple of our security guys that you are standing by me at all times, and if start to run out there, ‘Grab him!’” Holmgren joked. “That was one of things I talked to Eric about when we decided to do it together. I’m going to have my challenges, there is not question about that in watching practice, watching games and those kind of things.”

On Walter Jones’ possible retirement, Holmgren, who said at the time that Jones had microfracture surgery in November 2008 that he believed Jones would return to the field, had this to say:

“I hope that he plays some more,” he said. “I believe if I was still there I would be coaxing him into something, or trying anyway. But he’s played a long time and I think he’s really been a warrior the last, couple years, because he’s played on some bad wheels and a bad shoulder, those kind of things. He’s played a lot of football.”

And on his new task of making the Cleveland Browns a winner, working with current head coach Eric Mangini, Holmgren said he’s ready for the challenge.

“How I view it is really setting the table for Eric,” Holmgren said about his new job. “That’s what I’m going to try and do. My job is to make him the best coach he can be, and help him as much as I can by getting players for him, being a sounding board for him – whatever that means.”

On Cleveland’s quarterback situation, Holmgren said the team will likely have to choose between Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson, and did not rule out the possibility of bringing another quarterback in. Speculation has the Browns pursuing a possible trade with Philadelphia for either Donovan McNabb or Kevin Kolb.

Holmgren told reporters that the Browns need to decide which quarterback to keep before Anderson’s $2 million roster bonus is due, reportedly on March 19.

Holmgren said he spoke with Quinn but has not talked with Anderson, who’s back in Corvallis, Ore., going through his off-season conditioning program.

NFL Draft

NFL Network aired a large portion of Holmgren’s presser today. I was really conflicted watching, I really like him. This must be what it was like for Packer fans a decade ago.

2. vichawkfan says:

great work Eric –

Derek Anderson will be cut loose – wonder if we’d take a sniff.

3. Source: Chargers Do Not Tender Sproles.

He’ll be an UFA. Anyone thinks we should get him?

He would have made $7.3 mil if they tendered him. He’ll get a lot of attention on the open market.

5. Derek Anderson was a Pro Bowler a few years ago.

Was it because he was a legit Pro Bowler? No. It wasn’t (but he could be again if he were surrounded by studs).

Was it because of his surrounding talent? Yes. He had Braylon Edwards in his best year, KII before he got psycho on a mini-bike, etc. He had talent around him, and that made him better.

It’s unbelievable what surrounding talent can do for you.

Hint – hint… get Matt some damn and actual real talent and you’d see a different (better) QB in ’10.

Oh by the way, Derek Anderson is 26 years old so I doubt he’s on the downside of his career. Maybe it’s more like “the talent around me sucks so it looks like I suck” whereas “if I were still surrounded by real talent, then I’d look good, too.”

6. If we want a QB of the future, I support signing Anderson. I’d rather have him as a FA than a R this year. But, as I’ve said before, in no way, shape, or form, do I support him [or any R #1 pick] over Matt until Matt proves (behind “real” talent) that he’s done, no matter the cost.

7. Oldbutslow says:

The mere prospect of Walter Jones playing next year makes me gasp. Even at a part of what he used to be, he is better than most. Remember that Walter ran a 4.7 40 at the combine. Ridiculous. We won’t replace him fully, but if we can get another year or two out of him…..nirvana.

Old age and treachery goes a long ways. It is how I live my life. Walter has something left. The microsurgery that he had on his knee usually takes a year or so to heal. Now, he has had that time. I am hopeful. I also whistle when I walk by the cemetery, but that is different. Go, Walter.

8. Oldbutslow says:

Does anyone have Rob Rang’s web address? I have been trying to to renew my subscription to nfldraftscout.com with no success. I have only been there for 6 years, so they must consider me a weak sister.

9. CYRREEN says:
    February 26, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Source: Chargers Do Not Tender Sproles.

He’ll be an UFA. Anyone thinks we should get him?

Mixed feelings on this one. I really like Sproles a lot, but he also seems to be twins with Justin Forsett. I guess in a capless year if Paul Allen wants to spend the money, go for it!

10. Anytime a good player is available, yeah, I think we should go after him. It just depends on the cost.