Do Cardinals have staying power?

Post by Eric Williams on Jan. 29, 2009 at 8:46 am with 18 Comments »
January 29, 2009 8:46 am

The reporter’s question caused usually forthcoming Arizona defensive lineman Darnell Dockett to pause, gathering his thoughts before responding.

What was his opinion of team owner Bill Bidwill, and did he believe the owner of the Cardinals, known for his thrifty ways, would deal with the eventual fallout of trying to keep the franchise competitive now that they have a team in the Super Bowl?

"I don’t know," Dockett said. "Everybody’s got their opinion of them. Me personally, I hope that reputation changes. And that reputation has to change from within.

"There’s a lot of guys on this team that need to be paid, a lot of guys who are underpaid. You’ve got a lot of free agents. If they’re trying to get to another Super Bowl and really start a dynasty and keep the tradition going, you’ve got to keep the guys here, and you’ve got to make the guys happy because it’s a lot of us. You just hope that it changes within.

"I don’t really go off the opinion of what everybody else says about them. I don’t buy into that. I have my own opinions. And I don’t think they’re bad people at all. I just think that times have changed. … You’ve got to pay players to keep them on the team and make them show up for offseason workouts and do all the little things around so you can build that type of program."

This offseason will be a good barometer of how committed Bidwill is to keeping the Cardinals competitive. Arizona has cap space, with a projected $40 million under the salary cap heading into the 2009 season. And they have the money, generating steady revenue from moving into their new facility, University of Phoenix Stadium in August of 2006.

But whether or not the Bidwills have the desire to do what it takes to keep its talented, young nucleus together remains to be seen.

The Cardinals have 37 players signed for 2009, and several free agents hitting the market at season’s end, including aging quarterback Kurt Warner, talented linebacker Karlos Dansby, and defensive ends Bertrand Berry and Antonio Smith. Wide receiver Anquan Boldin is unhappy with his contract and wants a new deal. Edgerrin James is embarrassed by the way he was benched this season, and might ask to be traded at season’s end. Receiver Steve Breaston probably deserves more money. Strong safety Adrian Wilson is in line for an extension.

Even Dockett, who said he was treated fairly when he negotiated his new contract with Arizona, still has three years left on a five-year deal worth $22 million and believes he deserves more money.

"I’ve definitely outplayed that contract," Dockett said.

So how the Bidwills handle the offseason will go a long way in determining if they can repeat the success they had this season.

Arizona assistant head coach Russ Grimm understands his team will have a bulls eye on its chest come September after beating every NFC West division opponent twice last season.

"We know rolling into next year that’s in the back of everybody’s mind," Grimm said. "We’re going to get everybody’s best shot. That’s what happens when you get to this level. The following year, you’re going to play a tougher schedule, and you know you’re going to get everybody’s best shot. You’re not going to sneak up on anybody anymore."

Whether or not the Cardinals will have the talent to continue its dominance of the NFC West next season remains question mark.

"I hope they do it, I really do," Dockett said about the Bidwells keeping the team in tact. "But it won’t surprise me if they didn’t."

Listen to Grimm talk about keeping up the team’s level of success in this audio link.

1. The Bidwell’s are cheap.

This particular 9-7 team got hot at the right time.

There will be a bull’s eye on them next season.

No way in heck they go back to the Super Bowl next year. They better enjoy this while it lasts, because it’s not going to happen again anytime soon.

2. firejimmoradotcom says:

I wonder what the Bellevue SWAT team has to say about this.

I think you can have a very successful season with out going to the Super Bowl. That aside, BobbyK is right, this team got hot at the right time. I think they are closer to the team that went 9-7 than the team that has steamrolled through the playoffs. The division will not be handed to them next year, I guarantee that.

4. I truly believe they’ll try to re-sign Kurt Warner, they almost have to. Leinart sucks.
    But, I don’t see them being anything but mediocre for years to come. Leinart can’t
    utilize the receiver weapons the same way Warner can, nor can he handle the blitz in the same manner as Warner. But, Warner may retire at the end of the season.

season and made it to the Super Bowl. As much as I hate the Cards, I hate
    Shittsburgh even more. Terrible towels should be banned from the face of the earth.

5. CeaYoung says:

ugh… boring…. been snoozing for the last 4 days on this blog. Talkin’ Cards on the
    Seahawks insider? Boo.

Unless we’re talking about Q coming to the hawks I could care less.

Just me…

I hear you. It’s an awfully boring time, before the combine and FA.

7. CeaYoung says:

Here’s something somewhat interesting about Darnell:

Source: Arizona Republic
    Cardinals DL Darnell Dockett revealed that he did not like football as a teenager because he had other priorities.

“I actually quit,” Dockett said. “I was used to stealing cars and fighting. I remember talking to the coach, and he asked me if I knew the three-point stance, and I was like, ‘No, but I can tell you how to steal a Buick Regal.’”

Who the hell wants a Regal?

8. “This will be the second year in a row a mediocre team caught fire really late in the
    season and made it to the Super Bowl.”

i dunno, i’d hardly call last year’s Giants a mediocre team… maybe a mediocre QB who got hot at the right time, ok.

i will say this Fartinals team pales compared to our ’05 SB team. the proof will be next year, when they suffer from SB loser syndrome, which we weathered pretty well all things considered.

9. I doubt he’d be considered a “Ruskell guy.”

10. Southendzone says:

The Cardinals have the benefit of being well coached & a few playmakers but
    I totally agree with the 1st post above. There’s no way they will be in the Superbowl
    again next year.

I heard it paid 50/1 to bet them to win the superbowl before this season. Those odds
    shouldn’t be any less prior to the 09 season. If PHI would have lost to NYG
    then the cards would have gotten destroyed back east in the NFC champ game.

11. It’s the usual problem. A team makes it to the big game and the players start believing they’re the best in the business and deserve to be paid as such.

In a way, it’s almost a worse situation, financially, than having a top pick in the draft and the salary hit that goes with it. There’s the same temptation to believe that past performance predicts future returns, a bet that often fails after a player receives the big payday he’d been working to get. But now, instead of it being just one overpaid rookie, it’s a whole bunch of already overpaid veterans, who will soon, just like Dockett, be thinking that they’ve “outplayed” their contracts and deserve more.

So ownership is faced with a dilemma. Do they yield to the salary demands and risk having some Shaun Alexanders of their own, or do they hold the line financially and risk not being able to field as competitive a team next year?

Personally, I think overpaying in an attempt to keep a team together is almost always a mistake.

12. FatimahTide says:

I really hope that management can keep this current team together for as long as possible. I would really hate on one hand to see the Cardinals take the Super Bowl but just to be disappointed that it probably won’t be possible the next season with a new squad. Teams need time to gel together and this isn’t the time to to play around.

But aside from that the Cardinals are really gonna surprise a lot of unbelievers this Sunday for sure. Next thing is that I can’t wait to see all the Super Bowl ads. They’re always so exciting. I can’t wait to see the results of the Top SUper Bowl ad of all time. I really hope Tide’s The Talking Stain takes it. I’ve been working with Tide so I’m super excited about.

If you haven’t seen it please watch it is absolutely hilarious my co-worker literally fell out of her chair laughing, lol.

Tide To GO and Cardinals FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fatimah

13. F12CHawk says:

Man, my hatred for Arizona has grown to an unbelievable high.

I was 50/50 as far as who I wanted to win this game a week and a half ago….Now….Im rooting for Pittsburgh. Cardinals in a SB is a total joke. I see a Steeler blowout of EPIC proportions coming on Sunday

14. I want AZ to win!

There is no way in the world I could want Pittsburgh to win anything, anywhere or anytime. They could loose their next 5,000 games in a row and I wouldn’t feel one bit sorry for them.

If Arizona wins they’ll fall apart next year and I’m good with that too.

Go ‘Hawks !!!

15. Not sure what the reasons were in St. Louis, but the stadium deal the Bidwells had in Phoenix was brutal. Now that they have the revenues from the new Stadium, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them loosen the purse strings.

But I agree with the post that said they probably will end up overspending. Just the nature of winning the prize, even losing the big game. How could they not pay Warner? Then how could they justify paying Warner?

16. They are gonna pay Warner just like we paid $haun. Sucks to be them.

17. Josh Brown says:

Staying power?

Um, no.

Warner has to keel over at some point and Leinart is the left-handed Dan McGuire.

18. F12CHawk says:

“They are going to pay Warner just like we paid $haun”

Not likely. If there one great thing about Kurt, it is that he is NOT about the $$$

He would prolly play for 1/2 of what he’s worth if he was happy and or wanted.

I don’t think he has more than 1-2 more decent years though. At least they still have Leinart waiting in the wings! LOL.