This is an inaugural ranking in some ways, because it’s my first week at the paper. But I’ve been doing these each week since the season started for the Spokesman-Review, so it should be a pretty seamless transition. Here’s what I put together for Thursday’s News Tribune.
Todd Dybas’ rankings from the previous week are in parentheses.
1. Oregon (1) – Cal and Colorado to start conference play? Rest the starters.
2. Stanford (2) – Turned potential trap game against WSU into a laugher.
3. UCLA (3) – Tricky test at Utah this week.
4. Washington (4) – Win at Stanford would be biggest since … ?
5. Arizona State (5) – Last team to beat USC and Notre Dame back to back weeks was … ?
6. Oregon State (7) – QB Mannion makes Riley look like genius.
7. Utah (12) – If Utes get past UCLA, bowl appearance imminent.
8. Arizona (6) – Wildcats take a bye to dry out after Montlake Monsoon.
9. Washington State (8) – Game against Cal could determine season outlook.
10. USC (9) – Position available. Inquire within.
11. Colorado (10) – Say a prayer for Buffs with Ducks coming to town.
12. California (11) – Creeping feeling that Bears are better than their numbers.