Well, this should be a blowout. Arizona might have a little bit of a letdown from the big win over Colorado. But Utah? I don’t see it as a possibility.
From the Arizona Daily Star — Bruce Pascoe has this preview with Sean Miller talking about getting his team focused and ready play through practice. From his story …
“I completely ignore the standings and the outside world,” Miller said Friday. “Everything’s about when you’re standing on the baseline (in practice) you better be paying attention. That’s what’s going to allow us to be the most successful tomorrow with Utah, and that’s what it is all about.
“There’s no big picture with all of us. And you know what? If we focus that way then the score takes care of itself. That doesn’t always mean you’re going to be on top but you’re going to be the most ready for it.”
While the Wildcats have shown a much sharper determination while winning three straight games against upper division teams, the focus didn’t always used to be there.
Just last month, Arizona had a chance to make an impact on the conference race and do so on national television, in games with Oregon and Washington, but lost both.
“Our team has never handled a big picture very well,” Miller said. “If it’s about sending a message to a nationally televised audience, about homecourt dominance, not letting teams come into McKale and win…”
- Here’s Jeff Faurado’s game preview which talks about the muddled mess that is the Pac-12 and his scouting report for UCLA
- Here’s Chris Foster’s game preview for the LA Times. Helene Elliott of the Times writes that LA native Allen Crabbe isn’t bitter that the Bruins didn’t really recruit him and opting for Tyler Lamb instead. The same cannot be said for Bruins fans. Here’s Peter Yoon’s game preview. for ESPN LA
- From the Spokesman Review — here’s Christian Caple’s game preview which discusses the Cougs watching the replay of Washington getting dismantled by Oregon and knowing that same feeling. Caple has additional notes and a partial transcript of an interview with D.J. Shelton.
- Can the Ducks carry over that energy, enthusiasm and outstanding play from Thursday to today? Bob Clark of the Register Guard discusses that idea in his game preview. Here’s an AP story about E.J. Singler operating out of the shadow of his brother.
- The Buffs have been awful on the road in the Pac-12, but they haven’t been awful enough to lose to ASU … could they? Ryan Thorburn writes that the Buffs need Carlon Brown to make an impact.
- Doug Haller wrote about ASU center Jordan Bachynski — a seven foot sophomore center – that’s improving rapidly. Here’s some video of Haller talking about ASU and other topics