UW Huskies Insider

Chris Polk to enter NFL draft

Post by Ryan Divish on Jan. 2, 2012 at 11:26 am with 6 Comments »
January 2, 2012 12:37 pm
AP photo

To no real surprise, the school announced today that junior running back Chris Polk will forgo his senior season and enter the NFL draft.

“Chris had a terrific career at Washington and deserves the opportunity to move on to the next level,” Sarkisian said. “We wish him nothing but the best in what I’m sure will be a great professional career.”

Polk, a fourth-year junior from Redlands, Calif., has already earned his bachelor’s degree in American ethnic studies.

The Huskies’ three-time offensive MVP, Polk is one of only two Huskies to rush for 1,000 yards in three seasons. His 2011 total of 1,488 yards ranked second in school history, just ahead of his 2010 tally of 1,415 yards, now third-best. As a redshirt freshman in 2009, he ran for 1,113 yards.

Polk leaves Washington with 4,049 yards on 799 carries over 40 games. He is one of only seven 4,000-yard rushers in Pac-12 history. Polk’s yardage total is second-best ever at the school, just 57 yards short of Napoleon Kaufman’s school record (4,106). His 799 career carries were a school record, as was his career average of 101.2 yards per game and his 21 career 100-yard games.

Polk is rated as the fourth best running back draft prospect and projects to a second round to early third round pick.

1. mojjonation says:

Beast Mode backup? He would destroy all UW rushing records if he hung around for another year. Since he has his degree, I can understand his decision. Great Alamo Bowl game for Polk and the Husky offense. Price should have gotten player of the game.

2. taxedenoughintacoma says:

UW is nothing but the minor league for the NFL. I am tired of paying for this.

3. ianvand says:

Hey taxedenough you should try reading the article. Polk already has his degree. I highly question the accuracy of your claim regarding degrees and NFL players too. That’s ok though. Why let facts get in the way of your obvious bigotry?

4. titusintl says:

I hope he stays in Seattle!

5. guidocarmasi says:

I dont think the taxpayers pay for the players. I think ticket holders and TV pay for the tickets.

6. xrxs1020 says:

Half-baked enough in Tacoma wrote: “Another black player going to school on WA State taxpayer dime that doesn’t get a degree. Less than half of NFL payers ever get a degree. I want the NFL to pay for these schlorships, not the taxpayers. UW is nothing but the minor league for the NFL. I am tired of paying for this.”

I’ll give you an F on comprehension, but an F- on citizenship. Otherwise, great!