TNT Diner

Good eats and drinks around Tacoma, Pierce County and South Puget Sound

NOTICE: TNT Diner has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved TNT Diner.
Visit the new section.

Wings, wings, more wings: A second wings chain to open in Tacoma, Buffalo Wild Wings

Post by Sue Kidd / The News Tribune on May 9, 2011 at 6:07 am | 15 Comments »
October 30, 2011 8:10 am

Traditional wings? Check
Boneless wings? Check
Ribs? Check
Burgers? Check

The menus of Winger’s and Buffalo Wild Wings may read suspiciously similar, but the restaurants are two different chains. And soon they’ll be located less than a mile from one other. Buffalo Wild Wings, a Minneapolis-based chicken wings and ribs restaurant, applied for a liquor permit last month for the location at 4219 S. Steele St., by Tacoma Mall. A company spokeswoman told me via email that the restaurant would open this fall. Winger’s, a franchise of the Salt Lake-based company, opened in October 2008 at 5221 Tacoma Mall Blvd. My question: Does Tacoma need two wings restaurants so close in proximity?

I think a field trip to Winger’s is in order for advance research. I don’t usually review chains, but this just screams taste-off. For a first-time visitor to Winger’s, what should I order? I’ll check in at the restaurant sometime before Buffalo Wild Wings opens this Fall and report on my wing v. wing smackdown.

BETTER QUESTION: Which locally owned and operated Tacoma/South Sound restaurant has great wings? Why? Don’t just tell us about your favorite wings in the South Sound region, give us details on what makes them tasty. Comment below, please.

Winger’s Grill & Brewhouse
Where: 5221 Tacoma Mall Blvd., Tacoma
Info: Open since October 2008
Phone: 253-471-9464

Buffalo Wild Wings
Where: 4219 S. Steele St., Tacoma
Info: Expected to open the week of Oct. 31, 2011

The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for Report violators to