I’ve tuned out yelling sports fans as burger juice from a delectable kobe beef burger rolled down my wrist at the West End Pub. I’ve bit into the gooey, cheesy, bacony center of an inside out burger at Cheers South Hill Bar. I’ve enjoyed the delicious sweet tomato relish of a Katie Downs cheeseburger. And I’ve pillaged the savory juiciness of a bacon cheeseburger at the Parkway Tavern.
After being tipped off by a TNT Diner reader, I set my burger loving eyes this month on the meaty cheeseburger at the Cliff House.
Click “more” to read about my burger experience there, and read about how you can nominate your favorite bar burger for the TNT Diner Bar Burger Noshdown in September. You have until tomorrow to nominate your favorite burger joint, then I’ll open nominees to a closed poll where readers can vote for where I should dine.
The Cliff House restaurant, which reopened in June after a six-month closure, has stayed true to its concept of finer dining upstairs and a casual bistro and lounge downstairs. One of the jewels of the downstairs menu at Guido’s Lounge is the Bistro Burger ($11). What struck me about this burger was its beefy flavor. A hand-formed square patty that looked to be at least a half pound arrived flame licked and scrumptiously charred. The bun could barely hold the weight of the burger (which is not good if you like to eat clean), and sported a side of do-it-yourself veggies: crunchy lettuce, thickly sliced red onions, pickle slices and tomatoes. A hefty pile of skins-on fries made this a towering plate.
TNT DINER BURGER NOSHDOWN
Your turn: Tell me where to go to eat a bar burger. We’ll post nominees Sept. 1 in a closed poll. Readers can vote to select one or two restaurants that I will visit in addition to the bars I’ve been visiting since June. The poll results will not be made known to the public until after the review publishes. We don’t want to tip off restaurant owners that we’re coming.
Deadline: Nominate by TOMORROW Aug. 31.
The details: Bar burgers must be nominated at bars, taverns, pubs or any other kind of watering hole in the South Sound region. Extra points are given to hand-formed fresh beef patties a third of a pound or bigger. To nominate, just comment here.
Here are the nominees so far:
1. Maxwell’s Restaurant and Lounge: Readers eagerK and BadCo13 voted for the Walker burger.
2. Crown Bar: TNT Diner reader Eric, via email, voted for the crispy onion burger.
3. The Hub: TNT Diner reader Eric, via email, also voted for the Hub Stump Jumper Burger and Bauer Smoky Burger.
4. Ben Dews Clubhouse: Meersman22 nominated the “organic hand-formed” burger.
5. The Right Spot: Reader Javadog54 recommended the hand-formed burgers.
6. Engine House No. 9: Reader Coooper2Steel nominated the “perfectly satisfying” grilled burger.
7. UP Station: Reader MikeBinUP nominated the “monster” hand-formed burger at UP Station.
8. Lakewood Pub & Grill: Reader agtoth nominated the grilled onion cheeseburger.
9. Beach Tavern: Reader eckinsoh nominated the bacon cheeseburger.
10. Shamrock Tavern: Reader LovetheTruth recommended.