Word on the Street

The latest news in and around Tacoma, Pierce County and South Puget Sound

NOTICE: Word on the Street has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Word on the Street.
Visit the new section.

Tacoma man one of 8 Washingtonians who won $250,000 in Mega Millions

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on April 3, 2012 at 4:25 pm with 6 Comments »
April 3, 2012 4:25 pm

Nobody in Washington won the Mega Millions jackpot last week, but the state boasted a record-breaking number of folks who took home second-tier prizes.

Eight Washingtonians won $250,000 and 21 won $10,000 prizes, according to Washington’s Lottery.

Officials said more than $15 million in Mega Millions tickets were sold in the state just last week.

Among those who won $250,000 prizes was David Matern, 54, of Tacoma.

Matern bought his ticket Friday and said he plans to use the money to help children.

“I’d love to take a group of kids to their first Mariners game ever,” he said. “The looks on their faces when they see the field for the first time will be worth way more than anything money can buy.”

1. cheechmo says:

David, why would you scar those children for life by making them watch the Mariners? THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

2. cylhentz says:

Haha, cheechmo… give ‘em a break. First thing he could think of that was something nice. It’s encouraging.

3. surveyor1 says:

I’ll tell you with crime running rampant as it is these days, I certainly wouldn’t want my name published if I won any money.

4. KooKooKitty says:

To all the after play complainers that didn’t win THE BIG ONE- everybody seems to forget theres more than one substantial prize possible.
    I’m glad some lucky Washingtonians got a peice of the pot…woulda been gladder if it were me though, for my one dollar to say I played the biggest historical jackpot so far :)

5. cadana1961 says:

Nice gesture, David Matern!!! To be introduced to the great game of baseball, at one of the best ballparks in the US, well, it will make a perfect spring day for all!! I’m glad someone is doing something fun with their winnings!!

6. modyfied says:

I hope the ticket I left in my basket at Top Food Federal Way made it into the hands of an individual like this. It was a winning ticket, I just dont know how much…