As a historically important building, Central Lutheran Church in Tacoma’s Stadium District is relatively young at 53 years old.
But its design and stained-glass windows have landed the brick building at 409 Tacoma Ave. N. on a state list of significant buildings, called the Washington Heritage Register.
Central Lutheran, constructed in 1957, is the first post-World War II church listed on the Washington Heritage Register, according to the preservation group Historic Tacoma. The structure was also added to Tacoma’s Register of Historic Places earlier this year.
Central Lutheran is “a strong example of post-WW II ecclesiastical architecture,” according to a news release from Historic Tacoma. It was designed by the firm of Lea, Pearson and Richards, which also designed Kilworth Chapel at the University of Puget Sound.
Here is the press release:
1957 Central Lutheran Church
added to the WA Heritage Register
October 26, 2010
Historic Tacoma is delighted to announce the recent addition of Central Lutheran Church to the Washington Heritage Register. Located at 401 Tacoma Avenue North, the 1957 structure was built after the congregation’s 1889 wood church was demolished to make way for the current City-County Building. The new church is a strong example of post-WWII ecclesiastical architecture and was designed by the firm of Lea, Pearson and Richards, who also designed Kilworth Chapel at the University of Puget Sound.
Fairly traditional in its plan, yet sporting crisp modern finishes the church reused a number of historic windows from their previous building. The interior of the structure is awash with color from the large vintage stained glass windows and is further accented by more modern stained glass, filling the nave with color.
Central Lutheran holds the distinction of being the first Post WWII church listed on the Washington Heritage Register.
The structure was added to Tacoma’s Register of Historic Places earlier this year. Both nominations were prepared by Historic Tacoma Board member, Caroline Swope.