I’ve received several calls and e-mails about homeless camps throughout Tacoma and Pierce County.
- Forest Hill: A caller (who didn’t leave a name or number) says he sees homeless people entering the area near the old airport at South 41st Street and Tyler. He also says he’s seen prostitution and drug use.
- Swan Creek: An e-mailer said she’s been e-mailing officials for two years about this and has received no response. She said trash, cooking supplies and porn are strewn across most of the park on the Eastside. She also adds, "I am sure hookers go to the main park to smoke crack and have sex."
- Parkland: Another e-mailer sends this in: "Hey, you didn’t hear this from me, but there’s an encampment on A St, between 133rd & 135th. There’s a creek (of sorts) that runs along there with heavily wooded areas. Sit out on Pac Ave near there and watch ‘em come and go."
- Summit: Columnist Kathleen Merryman checked out a camp at 112th Street and Canyon across the street from a branch of the Pierce County Public Library. She saw
two habit trails: one went to camps that looked deserted with big piles of junk everywhere. The other went to what she called "the camp’s living room." That was littered with beer and malt-liquor cans, and there were active camps bordering that.
- Blueberry Park: An e-mailer reports “homeless or evidence of their living there all the time.”
Got any more? Send ‘em my way.
There’s a Google map of them after the jump: