There was no Sounders training Wednesday, but on Thursday they get back to preparations for their Saturday match at Colorado. I should have some updates from the club around noon. Until then, here are some preview notes from the club:
Colorado Rapids Series Notes
Sounders FC has been dominant in the series with the Colorado Rapids, going 8-1-2 in the 11 all-time meetings. Seattle is currently riding an eight-game (7-0-1) unbeaten streak, including seven straight wins from July 25, 2010 to April 20, 2013. The two sides have met twice in the 2013 regular season as Seattle earned a 1-nil away win on April 20 followed by a 1-1 home draw on July 20.
* Seattle has recorded a clean sheet in two of its last three games at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park.
* Sounders FC holds a 19-10 goal advantage, including 11-5 in the second half of games.
* Seattle has scored the bulk of its goal in the middle interval of each half, including five goals from the 16-30 minute mark and six goals from the 61-75 minute mark.
* Eddie Johnson leads all active players with six career goals against the Colorado Rapids, including two goals in the Seattle-Colorado series. Overall, seven active Sounders FC players have scored in the series.
* Mauro Rosales leads all active players in the series with five assists, including two in a 2-1 win at CenturyLink Field on July 7 last season.
* Despite out-shooting Sounders FC 124-123, the Rapids have managed just 37 shots on goal to Seattle’s 52.
* Saturday’s matchup marks the latest in the season that the two teams have met. The previous latest matchup was July 28 last season.
Rapids Offense Full of Fresh Faces
A large part of Colorado’s bounce-back season is attributed to their group of newcomers in the attack. Overall this season, 27 of Colorado’s 35 goals (not including own-goals) have been scored by players who played for a different team a season ago. Rookie Deshorn Brown leads the team with seven goals and has added four assists, while fellow rookie Dillon Powers has four goals and ranks second on the team with five assists. Veteran off-season acquisitions Edson Buddle and Atiba Harris have added five goals apiece, while former Sounders FC midfielder Nathan Sturgis has scored four goals. In addition, Christopher Klute leads the team with seven assists. Klute was signed late in 2012 and made just one appearance for the Rapids last season.
Irwin Impressive in Debut Season
Goalkeeper Clint Irwin has been impressive in his first MLS season, ranking among the league-leaders in nearly every goalkeeping category. The 24-year-old ranks second in MLS with a 1.00 goals against average, tied-third with 10 shutouts, tied-fifth with 12 wins, and 10th with 77 saves. The Elon University product has the 10th longest shutout streak this season, a 282-minute run from April 28 to May 18. Irwin recorded five saves-his second highest total of the season-to preserve a 1-1 draw with Sounders FC at CenturyLink Field on July 20.