There were plenty of new faces at Starfire today as Sounders FC opened training.
Coach Sigi Schmid commented about the latter only as a group.
“A couple look good,” he said. “Obviously, our draft choices are there as well, and DeAndre Yedlin. There were a couple of guys who looked all right.”
We asked the obvious question — how did it go — of Yedlin and Zavaleta.
DeANDRE YEDLIN: It’s definitely different. It feels good to finally be on the team. You always hope that you get this opportunity when you’re out here training with them, but you’re still on the academy team or in college. It was definitely a good feeling.
ZAVALETA: It’s good to get out here. Happy to be here. I got here last night, and was trying to look on the plane and see what my new city is going to look like, and it was all fog. Coming here it’s good to settle down and play with some of the guys and meet everybody.
Here’s a full roster breakdown from the club:
* There are currently 25 players on the Sounders FC roster. Draft picks, trialists and invitees fill out the group of more than 40 training camp participants.
* Six players were with the team for the inaugural match in 2009 (Jhon Kennedy Hurtado, Patrick Ianni, Zach Scott, Osvaldo Alonso, Brad Evans and Steve Zakuani). Leo Gonzalez joined the team midway through the 2009 season.
* Twelve players on the roster are foreign and two players were born in Washington
* The average age of the group is 26-years-old. Marcus Hahnemann is the oldest player at 40 and DeAndre Yedlin is the youngest at 19.
* The active leader for goals scored for club is Steve Zakuani (17 goals in MLS regular season; 19 goals in all competitions).
* Osvaldo Alonso is the active leader for games played (113 games in MLS regular season; 151 in all competitions). He is currently tied for the club’s all-time leader with 109 MLS starts.
* Eddie Johnson leads the team with 155 total MLS appearances, including 120 starts. His 55 career goals in regular season play is the most of any Sounders FC player.
* Ten players are primarily midfielders and nine players are primarily defenders. Four players are forwards with three goalkeepers, and SuperDraft pick Eriq Zavaleta may be used as either a forward or defender.