The Sounders have come off the pitch after their first training session of 2013.
I’ll be back with quotes and more specifics later, but a few immediate takeaways.
* GM Adrian Hanauer said Fredy Montero was signed to a contract extension to enhance his potential transfer value, but also because he might come back. Or might not.
* Steve Zakuani highlights an almost fully healthy roster.
* Sporting director Chris Henderson says what projected as the top prospects went in the SuperDraft, but there may be sleepers to be found in tomorrow’s Supplemental Draft.
* Top SuperDraft pick Eriq Zavaleta worked as centerback, although coach Sigi Schmid said nothing is yet set in stone there positionally. The rookie, not surprisingly, said he’ll play wherever he can help the team.
* Schmid wouldn’t single out any of the 14 trialists as having particular potential to make the club and contribute.
* Hanauer stayed mostly neutral regarding MLS’ efforts to trademark “Cascadia Cup.” He did say he believes the issue will work out to most everyone’s satisfaction.
* It was cold. Very, very cold. I can’t stress that enough. Cold. Very.
More to come.