Pre-season Tide Update
Here are a few bytes of recent Tacoma Tide news as the soccer club prepares for the 2011 PDL season at Stadium Bowl
- Open Tryouts are this Saturday and Sunday at Stadium Bowl at 10 AM. Drop on by.
- The Tide have added two pre-season matches in April. More details to come, but the matches are April 16 against Gonzaga at Stadium Bowl (free admission) and April 17 against St. Martin’s in Lacey. Kickoff times to follow.
- The Tide are narrowing in on a 2011 jersey choice. It is down to a two-color Umbro that is yellow with royal blue accents, and an all-yellow adidas with small white accents. The final choice should be announced in a few weeks.
- Tacoma are also on the hunt for finalizing a Title Sponsor for 2011. The Sponsor would be the main donor to the new season, and would be featured on the front of the new jerseys, as well as throughout the Tide promotional efforts and social media. Right now the Tide are talking with several prospective local businesses. It could end up being a car dealership or brand.
- Speaking of social media, the Tide recently put up a Twitter page, and have grown their Facebook page by over 100 ‘friends’ in the last month, and are nearing the 2,100 mark.
- The Tide are happy with their first week of online season ticket sales through BrownPaperTickets.com. Looks like the club will easily pass the totals of last year a few weeks before the season even starts. Our lunch group was also pleased with the national exposure the 2011 Tide ticketless options received. Jennings even got a note from USL President Tim Holt saying he will watch the online Tacoma ticket sales and mobile device ticket options with interest this summer.
- Now is the time the Tide and other PDL clubs (see Kitsap Pumas report from the weekend) start reaching out to their player base and assessing personnel plans for the upcoming season. Mike Jennings says there are plenty of opportunities for good players under the age of 23 to get roster spots this year. Many of the Tide returners are older. Jennings is among the PDL owners who would like to see the 8-players over age 23 roster limit increased. So far the USL isn’t budging. The Tide will be releasing names of players signed for the 2011 Tacoma season starting in April.
- Jennings says parking for 2011 Tide matches at Stadium Bowl will be *free.* Fans can park at no cost in the Stadium High School parking garage.