Sounders Insider

Seattle Sounders FC and the Puget Sound soccer scene

Third kit coming next week?

Post by Don Ruiz / The News Tribune on April 15, 2010 at 10:24 pm with 9 Comments »
April 15, 2010 10:24 pm

It appears that the rumors about a third Sounders kit are correct, and the unveiling could come early next week.

The organization wouldn’t comment directly. However, senior vice president of business operations Gary Wright said the club’s identity is established well enough now where a third kit wouldn’t create confusion about the brand.

“To me, the philosophy was it was important to establish the fact that we were rave green,” Wright said today. “The more we could wear that, the more we could emphasize that. Now, I think everybody gets that. So now we (could) join the world’s community and have three like everybody.”

1. So for the 3 games where we don’t wear green jerseys we can do two of them in blue and one in the other away jersey? Sounds silly if you ask me.

2. brettghorn says:

Any guesses on what it will be? I’d be in favor of a classic white one, perhaps with just blue trim (to take a rest from the green) though a shale one could be nice.

3. TacomaDiver says:

I forget which supporter site it was, but they had designed a “throw-back” kit honoring the Sounders of old. While they avoided the short shorts (!) the kit did look great and I would definitely buy one of the white jerseys with the collar.

4. blahbl4hblah says:

Black & green would be slick. Or black and blue. Or all three. Maybe black with green (where the blue parts are on the green jerseys) and blue lettering/numbers. That’d be kind of sweet.

5. ChrisInTacoma says:

@TacomaDiver

Joel at Emerald Pitch is the one that designed the throwback kit. He did, at one point, and possibly still have an online petition to sign.

6. elmocatt says:

Team needs to start wearing the blue kit a little more . . . including at a home match, before they look at a third kit. Otherwise, just an excuse to try and sell more jerseys to us fans.

7. carella211 says:

Just not yellow. Man i hope it’s not yellow.

And if i recall correctly, i read somewhere that CCL regulations require all teams to have 3 kits. If that is correct, it could be the real reason why they’re unveiling a new kit now.

8. derekyoung says:

I like the idea of that shale color as well.

9. At training, I’ve seen them use the shale pants with the rave tops, and I think that looks better than the rave/blue.

As for the third kit, I love the retro idea. But even a more modern white, to my taste, would look great with the rave shorts.

Looks like we’ll find out Tuesday.