Sounders Insider

Seattle Sounders FC and the Puget Sound soccer scene

Question: Who’s the fastest Sounder?

Post by Don Ruiz / The News Tribune on Jan. 29, 2010 at 12:42 pm with 13 Comments »
January 29, 2010 12:42 pm

After practice today, coach Sigi Schmid shared some of the winners of the fitness testing the Sounders went through Wednesday and Thursday.

So I know the answer to that question above. However, I found the answer so surprising, that I’m going to let the question linger for a second. Give it some thought. Who would you guess. (And then assume that guess is wrong.)

Then, I’ll pop back in in a couple of hours with the answer.

1. SSFCtilidie says:

I’d guess Brad Evans. Nyassi and Zakuani are the obvious choices, but last year I saw a few plays where Evans was absolutely flying. According to FIFA10, Ljungberg is probably the quickest though. Still, I’d go with Evans.

2. Knuckles says:

Well, under normal circumstances I would guess Sanna Nyassi. However, since you’ve told me I’m wrong, I’m going to go with David Estrada. Or Steve Zakuani. Or James Riley.

3. If we’re going to assume that our first guesses are wrong, that means everyone that we think is the fastest player on the team is the fastest can’t be right. As a result, I’m going to say Kasey Keller or Nate Jaqua. Not because I think I’m right, just because I think it would be funny if I was. ;)

4. And yes, that first sentence is a perfect example as to why I’m not a professional write. Talk about your redundancy.;)

5. Knuckles says:

You may want to think about changing your alias from ‘youshou’ to ‘Fezzini’.

6. brettghorn says:

You mean to say that Kasey Keller has still got wheels?!?

But really, I like the Evans pick. Or Levesque?

7. Not sure about Fezzini, but I might change it to Youshou so people can start spelling it correctly. ;)

8. Osvaldo Alonso.

Anyone remember the Barca game when he gave Evans a lazy pass, which got picked by Messi, who then played a ball through to Bojan. Alonso busted a 60 yard sprint to break up the return cross when Bojan had beaten our entire defense.

There was also a play during KC away (or possibly Dallas at home) when he absolutely FLEW up the right wing to chase down a through ball.

9. roadrunner11 says:

Mike FUCITO! Been telling Seattle fans this since they signed him last summer. Lightning fast, rocket launcher for a left leg, and accurate. Played striker alongside Charlie Davies in HS. Incredible speed bursts. Sub-4.4 in the 40.

Hopefully Seattle fans will finally get to see him play this season. You have no idea what an impact player this guy is…

10. Are we talking players currently in camp rather than those on the roster? I hear Michael Fucito’s pretty speedy.

11. Romero gave the answer on the Seattle Times blog. Fucito won the sprint test.

He also apparently got into an R-rated shouting match with Riley during the 11v11 scrimmage.

12. derekyoung says:

Dread Pirate Wesley for the win.

13. It’s inconceivable!