Sounders Insider

Seattle Sounders FC and the Puget Sound soccer scene

Fastest Sounder? And the winner is …

Post by Don Ruiz / The News Tribune on Jan. 29, 2010 at 3:13 pm with 7 Comments »
January 29, 2010 3:13 pm

Michael Fucito.

Five-foot-9, 165-pound Michael Fucito, the 2009 fourth-round pick out of Harvard.

Or, at coach Sigi Schmid put it: “The sprint winner, actually the quickest guy was Fucito. Once you get a bowling ball going down hill at his speed it keeps going. He was very good.”

1. Is Coach implying that Fucito is round? :) That doesn’t seem very nice. Just out of curiousity. What’s the “beep” contest? Estrada apparently won that one.

2. Discnutt says:

If it’s anything like what I remember from middle school, the beep test is running a short distance between two spots within an allotted time. We had to run something a little longer than the width of a basketball court. I think it was a CD playing and at the first beep, you run to one end of the court. You have to make it there before the next beep sounds. Then at the next beep, you run back to the other end. It’s pretty easy at first, but the time between the beeps become shorter so you have to run faster while you’re also getting a little more tired. After awhile, it becomes impossible to keep up with the beeps. It’s a good test of speed and endurance.

3. derekyoung says:

Discnutt is right. When I was a kid it was just stopwatched, but people started using a tone on a cd or some other equipment to signal when you should be at the mark so it got the name “beep test.”

I think he called Fucito bowling ball because he’s stocky, not fat. I don’t think Sigi does fat jokes. :)

4. Don Ruiz says:

I think I have Sigi’s definition of the Sounders’ beep test somewhere, and I’ll try to find it.

Meanwhile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-stage_fitness_test

5. Don Ruiz says:

Schmid has always liked Fucito’s low center of gravity. The idea that he’s also got that kind of speed just adds to the potential.

Even before I heard he was the sprint winner, he really made a memorable burst beating his defender into the penalty area at the scrimmage this morning, but lost the ball due to a bad touch that sent it too far ahead of himself.

6. Knuckles says:

Gah. No bad touches, Fucito. I actually want to see you on the pitch this season.

7. MartinBlank says:

So who was the slowest Sounder (keepers don’t count)? Maybe one of the guys doing extra fitness work on the days off.