Sounders Insider

Seattle Sounders FC and the Puget Sound soccer scene

Less than a month till Sounders open camp

Post by Don Ruiz / The News Tribune on Dec. 28, 2009 at 8:59 am with 16 Comments »
December 28, 2009 8:59 am

mlsseaChristmas day also marked the start of the one-month countdown to the start of Sounders preseason camp.

Any thoughts (other than what a short off-season MLS has)? What are the goals between here and First Kick? Any ideas for discussion during our shrinking off-season? Etc.

1. WendellGee says:

Short off-seaon by US sports league standards. A very long off-season by soccer standards. Long enough for Donovan to go all the way through the post season and still have time for a break and a substantial loan before coming back in time for the first match.

2. Don Ruiz says:

Agreed. But still, doesn’t it seem like MLS Cup was just about five weeks ago?

3. jimkingjr says:

My eye is on the collective bargaining agreement…

4. elmocatt says:

Is this a sign of things to come in 2010 – me agreeing 100% with JKJ? :)

Until the CBA is sorted out, kind of hard to get very far along in the pre-season process – would think that every team needs to know what the various league rules will be on team rosters/ salary cap amounts/ designated players /etc /etc before too many pieces of the puzzle can be put in place.

5. EverydayFan says:

The draft and Winter transfers would be good topics … CBA is a necessity, but super boring as far as topics go … Just because you have a root canal on Monday doesn’t mean you need to bring it up at parties over the weekend, if you get my drift
    Now, if it goes to lockout, then numerous topics come to mind, but let’s hope they aren’t that, um, success-averse.

6. derekyoung says:

It feels short and at the same time it doesn’t. I’m dying to get the season on already, but yes, by American standards it seems crazy we’re less than a month away. I hardly know what to do with myself on Saturday evenings. I’m so itching for a soccer fix that after a futile effort to find a transfer rumor or news on the CBA, I ended up watching a Burnley/Bolton snoozer.

I think I’m not the only one either. There are some kids that play 5 a side on the grass in front of our City Hall. Even though it’s not lit, they’re out there hacking away in the dark when I walk into meetings, no doubt replaying the Chivas/LA power outage playoff match. :)

7. jimkingjr says:

…if it goes to lockout. Let’s hope that the MLS powers that be are not that stupid- but it worries me. I’m pretty much in the player’s corner on the issues, and this is the year they have leverage. Not just with MLS on the cusp of the success of a four-team expansion, but with the USA World Cup bid in play.

I can’t imagine that a labor dispute would help the USA bid at all.

8. derekyoung says:

That’s why I’m confident there’ll be no interruption Jim. This is the absolute worst time from MLS’ perspective to be negotiating and unless they are fools, they know it too. And the players can’t exactly afford to be out of work either.

At least that’s the happy thought I’m telling myself.

By the way, finally got a call from my ticket agent. Apparently they are now wrapping up and damn near everything is gone. They tried to put me in Loge and I had to really put my foot down.

Should be rowdy in March.

9. elmocatt says:

On a completely different topic – about a week ago or so, I got a Christmas card from the Sounders – assume all ticket holders got one. Had a nice team photo inside and the usual happy holidays wishes. Thought it was a nice touch – shows the class of the front office.

10. EverydayFan says:

… Damn near everything was gone … Mea Culpa … We quadrupled our season ticket count and picked up everything that was open in our section … DY let me know if you ever need a hook up … March Madness = Opening Day + Sebastien Le Toux Golden Scarf = Total Insanity

11. derekyoung says:

Thanks EF! I’m pretty torn because Husky B-Ball and Soccer is pretty much my fave’s in the world. Pretty funny DR covers both.

12. porchcat says:

Can’t wait for this years Team play. Go Sounders! Great team play from Front Office to field grooming.

13. EverydayFan says:

Interesting article about possible Euro transfers in 2010:

14. joepublic says:

Saw that one too Everyday.

Bring us Patrick Vieira.

15. EverydayFan says:

Ya … How sick would that be …
    Ruud boy flying under the radar in that piece … Could be the purest Stiker of the bunch.
    Great to have Ljungberg as a scout!

16. derekyoung says:

It’s too bad Marcus and Keller are so close in age. It’d be nice to see Kasey play out his last couple and then have Marcus step in but he might be ready to hang it up by then.

And yes, Vieira would look sharp in rave green.