Sounders Insider

Seattle Sounders FC and the Puget Sound soccer scene

Soccer discussion area

Post by Don Ruiz / The News Tribune on Nov. 29, 2009 at 9:21 am with 18 Comments »
November 29, 2009 9:21 am

Naturally, things have slowed down in the Sounders/MLS world since the expansion draft.

And now I’m staring at a couple of UW road trips and some vacation time over the next couple of weeks.

I’ll remain close enough to the blog where I’ll post soccer news as I come across it, but with fewer posts expected for a while here I thought I’d create this as a place where you guys can discuss anything you like … including any suggestions for keeping this blog fresh during the (brief) MLS off-season.

1. jimkingjr says:

How about the little dust-up over relegation down in Chile, and FIFA’s threat to jerk the Chilean national team out of the World Cup if Chile’s national association didn’t get the local club to drop its lawsuit? Why do these international sports associations continue to believe they are above the law?

2. EverydayFan says:

There’s also a bit if a dust-up regarding fixed games in Europe … I think they need to realize that part of the reason theyneed to consider refs on the baseline and _ some _ use of video review is to keep the crooks at bay

3. jimkingjr says:

Of course, most important is which game will Don be covering on March 25th?

4. Don Ruiz says:

While last season’s opener conflicted with the first round of the NCAA tournament, I believe this season’s First Kick comes on Sweet 16 weekend.

5. derekyoung says:

You’re right DR, I just checked. The good news is that means UW is going to make it because God is mad at me and would mess with my head by putting the opener on a huge Husky game night.

6. ciscokid says:

I guess I don’t see the big deal in missing the Husky game. If they win, you get to see them play in the elite eight,and if they lose, eh, you got to see a proper football match.

7. jimkingjr says:

The big deal, Cisco, is if the Huskies are in the Sweet 16, Don may have to cut a deal with his “cub reporter” for coverage of the Sounders…

I’m not sure if the Scottish cloning experiments have advanced to the point that sports reporters can be in two places at once, yet…

8. jimkingjr says:

Apparently Rochester has jumped the USL ship and gone over to the NASL-

9. derekyoung says:

I really dont’ get this whole dueling division two thing, particularly the NASL which has 30% of its membership committed to leave in a year or two.

Oh well.

And yes, DR’s young lackey that covered for him in KC should be able to pull it off. :)

10. ciscokid says:

Not so young, but young at heart, You are of course correct JKJ, although I was referencing Derek missing game not Don.

Don, rest easy…I will be your loyal and humble servant scribe in the event the dawgs advance to such rarefied heights.

Here’s a taste:

Saavy Sounders Flummox Philly in Thrilling 3-2 Win.
    Arsenal Newcomer Bags a Brace as Sounders Break Union in opener

A record crowd of 46,000 saw the Sounders defeat a game but disorganized Union squad despite two goals from Seba Le Toux .

I’m just a press pass away from completing this story! :-)

11. joepublic says:

And which Arsenal player might be your newcomer, Cisco?

12. derekyoung says:

Yeah what’s the deal? Season hasn’t started and you’re already scooping Don?

13. Don Ruiz says:

Comment section scoops always welcome.

14. derekyoung says:

Thought you guys might find these interesting.

SSFC getting some good press on BBC:

Ljunberg’s take on the World Cup:

15. EverydayFan says:

Thanks DY,

BBC in that link also talks about the dust-up regarding fixed games in Europe … let’s hope that stamp that out fast … Cheaters Shall Not Prosper in Soccer!
    Keep Soccer Beautiful!

16. EverydayFan says:

And by the way, I’d like to take this moment to say “Thank You” to DR and TNT editors, techs, et al … for creating the best Sounders Blog in the greater Seattle Tacoma area.
    DR – You’re a great writer, and we need great writers covering this sport ….
    Thanks for creating such a cool, virtual “hang out” for us Sounders fans!

17. ciscokid says:

Two things today:

Anybody else going to the Sounders Season Ticket Holder Celebration Thursday night? And does anybody have a clue what the program is for it?

I realize I’ve seen no comment from Seba Le Toux since he was selected. I assume he’s gutted by the move, but has anyone tried to contact him for a reaction?

18. jimkingjr says:

On another front- rumor has it that there are season tickets being sold for third level midfield- I’ve seen reference specifically to Section 335…

It is sounding like the lower bowl all but sold out…